Digitization in Shipping

Digitization is coming in shipping:

Are you ready for it??

Could more digitalization and AI have avoided the resent spectacular shipping accidents:

Sounds liker somebody is trying to sell their services to me:

Your opinion please.

Some complain that the digital platforms that serve shipping is paying to hand over its own data:

Why the rush into digitalisation?

Since nobody else has posted here it shouldn’t harm to revitalize this thread:

https://safety4sea.com/danish-maritime-authority-launches-digital-certificates/

The fact that the certificates have been computer generated and then printed for decades and the same flag states couldnt do digital certs online just shows have behind the times shipping is and or how it supports corruption?
Try checking a Filipino one, they eventually come back and say its real so you ask how did they get it and there is no record of that.

Imagine getting stopped by the police in your car with a license you printed and they have to accept as they cant check at the time.

1 Like

Exactly, it is unbelievable that in this day and age all certification isn’t digital yet.

In Europe certification for offshore rig workers went digital about 20 years ago, bizarre that the shipping industry is still so far behind.

I think part of the problem with the lack of progress in the shipping industry is that they are too many ‘stick-in-the-mud’ people holding prominent decision making positions, they are too attached to doing things the old inefficient way when there are better options on the table.

I asked the office once if I can do a forensic document course to check the crews certificates as thats the responsibility they are passing on board for original documents.
I asked about duplicates and replicants being on board, ahh?
They laughed and agreed but that was for Cyprus Flag and thats in the EU??
Its just the long list of where life on a vessel is decades behind the land.

It is not the Flag’s issue, but instead the majority of PSC’s around the world, that do not, or do not understand how to verify E-Certs/Digital Certs. That is the main issue. Any Flag State could issue a digital certificate, but if that vessel goes to a port where the PSC tries to verify, doesn’t understand what to do, nor has approved digital certificates for that coastal state, than it doesn’t matter, a paper copy will still need to be issued. The system is broken down as a whole.

2 Likes

The IMO should do something useful for once and create some standardized system that can be used globally.

They only just realised ships have computers after failing to create adequate rules for ECDIS and still havent got out of that mess.

How many of you out there have compnaies running digital log books?

More digitalization in shipping is inevitable:

Are you up to date on technology development and ready for the bright new future for seafarers?

The entire MSC fleet to be digitalized:

Shipping’s digital and sustainability transition is here. Are you ready?:

I can remember the office asking us what we want in a 2nd mate ( AHTS), we replied someone that is good with word and excel

1 Like

Digitalization in the form of internet connectivity for the crew, not just for any number of sensors etc. has been recognized as a necessity:

Good for seafarers but risk and cost for shipping companies: