Different Jobs In the Maritime Sector

Hey,

I am a current high school student planning on attending SUNY Maritime next year. I talk to the people there and they sometimes just dont seem to know what to say half the time and I would really not like to wait till my senior year to know where I will end up working. All I really want to know right know is what jobs are out there. 

Primarily I would really enjoy working 6 months on, 6 months off. I have no idea if that is even possible. I also would enjoy working on Container ships. I dont really have a need to work off the coast so going around the world is not a problem.  Pay is also a thing the recruiters beef up I think so if someone can shoot straight with me on that, that would be fantastic. 

I can no think of any other questions at this moment but I do apoligize for spelling and grammer. Trying to make a dinner reservation. Sailing in the BVI right now not such great weather.

1 Like

I think finding container ships to sail on as an american license holder will be difficult. I also highly doubt that those vessels travel the world at all since jones act vessels usually don’t. If you want to see the world and don’t mind long hitches try MSC. You won’t get equal time but you will get a great experience. If I were single I would probably do that for a while myself.

Don’t be so set on deciding your career track now. You will learn a lot in school, see stuff on your cadet shipping, and possibly fall in live and not want to be gone. Maybe you well decide you actually want to handle boats so you will go towing or on OSVs.

Do people with MSC make as much as people working in the gulf on OSVs.

Drillships baby. Can’t beat the money, advancement potential, or the schedule. Just check your pride at the door and you certainly will not be seeing the world. But you can see the world with the money you will be swimming in. :smiley:

[QUOTE=rjr;67233]Drillships baby. Can’t beat the money, advancement potential, or the schedule. Just check your pride at the door and you certainly will not be seeing the world. But you can see the world with the money you will be swimming in. :D[/QUOTE]

Rj would you be able to give me so companies that drill never really looked into doing that before now

If you want container boats, you will need to join a union. But then you will have to wait your turn to get those ships as they are very high paying and go to the senior person looking for work. Usually a tanker engineer or mate should expect to not make less that 90k a year. I know some that work for MSC and claim the same money, only you do it in a 8 month year as as oppose to a 6 month year on a tanker, box, or ro/ro. Decide what direction you want to take at Suny…deck or engine

Ensco
Seadrill
Transocean
Atwood
Vantage
Diamond Offshore
Noble Drilling
Dolphin Drilling
Mearsk Drilling
Ocean Rig
Rowan Drilling

1 Like

Maybe but you work more for it. You done need to do it for a career, just do it for a few years to travel the world. Money isn’t everything, especially when you are young.

Deck or engine? I’m assuming deck with my answers, so…

Containerships - definitely want to go union - there’s jobs out there, but as an applicant, you can’t be picky. I’ve seen applicants pass on steady employment on a lesser contract for chasing that containership.

MSC - great way to get some sea time and a good paycheck. Just remember that there is another world out there. MSC is an interesting mix of Navy and merchant marine - not everyone’s cup of tea, but a fun job IMHO.

Other options? Drill ships, tug and barge, supply boat, etc. Just remember, when the last U.S. flag container ship is tied up, the supply boats, tugs and drill ships will still be moving. Diversification is the key and having a plan B ready to go for when plan A disappears. Being able to work in the different sectors of the maritime industry takes some planning and forethought - it doesn’t just happen.

BUT, being that you haven’t even started at SUNY yet, don’t get yourself scope locked on one segment of the industry. Something might come along while you are at school that really lights your fire. While you are there, take advantage of every opportunity you have to get out on ships, tugs or whatever comes along. In the end, it’s your experience that will get you a job - the third mate’s license is just the ticket to on-the-job training and third mates are a dime a dozen.

Any other questions, keep coming back to gCaptain.

1 Like

[QUOTE=brjones;67235]If you want container boats, you will need to join a union. But then you will have to wait your turn to get those ships as they are very high paying and go to the senior person looking for work. Usually a tanker engineer or mate should expect to not make less that 90k a year. I know some that work for MSC and claim the same money, only you do it in a 8 month year as as oppose to a 6 month year on a tanker, box, or ro/ro. Decide what direction you want to take at Suny…deck or engine[/QUOTE]

Thanks jones. I can deal with making 90k a year and only working 6 months. To others saying decide what you want to do first and dont make quick decesions I respect your thought process and that is what many people told me for a long time. I like ships and like working on the deck more than I do with engines. Been sailing for over 10 years and I love it more than almost anything.

Also Jones if I get around 10 years experience would it be alot easier to get on a container ship or would it still not even make a dent because I know their are alot older people working then in their 30s.

I went to SUNY and was stuck on shipping out deep sea. Since I graduated and got a 3 mate license I have yet to use it. Been working in new York harbor on tugs. The time off is great and so is the money. In cell phone range at all times and still able to have a social life. If a deep sea job opens up and I’m able to get on a ship I would just so I can pay off my loans. But like others have stated it all depends on what is available when you graduate. One thing I wish I did when I was at school was take tugs and towing. It’s a class that works towards your towing endorsement. I’m trying to get it signed off but it’s hard to find a de that works at your company.

[QUOTE=t.mcg;67262]. I’m trying to get it signed off but it’s hard to find a de that works at your company.[/QUOTE]

The whole designated examiner idea is nonsense. They should change the law so that any captain who has at least one full issue (five years) as captain can sign off on an apprentice mate subject to the limitations of the captain’s endorsements.

As it stands now, depending on the company the mariner works for, he must jump through hoops to find someone that can sign him off. Even if he does find such a captain at his company. He needs to transfer on the DE’s boat and sync up their schedules to the best of his ability. This is especially the case if the captain wants to do a proper evaluation and not just pencil whip it to get it over with. I don’t know what most people’s experience with the process are, but my examination took a few 28 day hitches. Of course, it didn’t help that we had a few days at the dock and three weeks at the shipyard during the process.

Anyway, to the OP, if you decide to go on tugs, be always mindful of finding a DE with the credentials you need, and try to transfer to his boat.

Well said. So hard to find a guy who can sign off even harder to find a guy that works the same rotation as you. So far I found it to be next to impossible.

The sad part is that it is not hard to obtain a DE. These companies should be pushing to get their captains to put the paper work in.

Ant captain with three years as captain can get a letter as DE. They just have to send an email asking for it.

Does a DP help to get on tugs or do they not even have those yet? Funny that you all bring up tugs I was in New York in October saw one sinking a few mile north of SUNY dont think it was in deep water though because it evantually stopped but I am heading up there this weekend to look at SUNY and KP.

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;67245]Thanks jones. I can deal with making 90k a year and only working 6 months. To others saying decide what you want to do first and dont make quick decesions I respect your thought process and that is what many people told me for a long time. I like ships and like working on the deck more than I do with engines. Been sailing for over 10 years and I love it more than almost anything.

Also Jones if I get around 10 years experience would it be alot easier to get on a container ship or would it still not even make a dent because I know their are alot older people working then in their 30s.[/QUOTE]
Usually with a union, it would take about 2 years to become a member, then maybe another 3 years after that to get the seniority. So if you aren’t picky for the first 5 years and sail at least 6 months a year you get the seniority to get the container ships. But even then you would be competing with others who also have the older cards.

Do people with MSC make as much as people working in the gulf on OSVs.

[QUOTE=Marylin175;67291]Do people with MSC make as much as people working in the gulf on OSVs.[/QUOTE]
Potentially yes, but with MSC you will work 8 to 10 months a year Vs 6 months in the Gulf or other deep sea companies.