Diamond Offshore to Lose Half-Dozen Rig Contracts

This just in:

In an SEC filing yesterday, Diamond Offshore says at least six of their rigs are likely to lose their contracts.

Diamond says a verbal notification came from Petrobras who said they do not intend to continue to use the Ocean Baroness which had recently signed a 3-year extension which would have kept it under contract until September 2018 at $310,000 per day.

On 12 February, Dana Petroleum gave their notice of contract termination for the Ocean Nomad, a $330,000 per day contract which was set to expire in August 2015. Diamond Offshore notes, “We do not believe that Dana had a valid basis for terminating the contract, and we intend to defend our rights under the contract.”

On 20 February, PEMEX gave verbal notification of their intention to exercise its contractual right to terminate its drilling contracts on the [I]Ocean Ambassador[/I], the [I]Ocean Nugget[/I] and the [I]Ocean Summit[/I], and to cancel its drilling contract on the [I]Ocean Lexington[/I].

The [I]Ocean Ambassador[/I] and [I]Ocean Nugget[/I] contracts were due to expire in March and August 2016, respectively while the [I]Ocean Summit[/I] and [I]Ocean Lexington[/I]were due to expire in May 2015 and March 2018, respectively.

Diamond Offshore notes that as of 23 February, “we have not received written notice of termination or cancellation. We are in discussions with PEMEX regarding the rigs.”

In October 2014, Diamond Offshore announced plans to scrap six of their older rigs.

Shares of Diamond Offshore are down over 5 percent today on the NYSE.

Now is time for all large drilling contractors to cull their fleets of every rig over 25 years old.

it’s the only way forward

The Nugget and Summit were old as hell 15 years ago when I worked with them. I didn’t know they were still working rigs. Aren’t those things 25+ years old?

Its time (actual long past time) for some new safety and environmental protection laws:

No rigs over 25 years old allowed to operate in the US.

No foreign built rigs that are built after 2015 (this year) allowed to operate in the US.

No foreign flag rigs allowed to operate in the US more the 180 days during any five year period, unless reflagged US and 80 percent US crewed.

Yeah, the Nugget is 1976 vintage and the Summit is 1972…

Prime candidates for the scrap yard I’d say.

dddsfasdfasdfasda safdadf

[QUOTE=tugsailor;155385]Its time (actual long past time) for some new safety and environmental protection laws:

No foreign built rigs that are built after 2015 (this year) allowed to operate in the US.

No foreign flag rigs allowed to operate in the US more the 180 days during any five year period, unless reflagged US and 80 percent US crewed.[/QUOTE]

Where are you getting this information from? I don’t think this is true… If it is all the Drilling Contractors will just get waivers. The US has no capability to currently build drill-ships.

I think he is proposing these laws.

while you have unlimited liability for a drilling oil spill there wont be any US drillers either
Your lawyers taught Exxon a lesson and Transocaen/|BP
cant build them, cant own them, not much left

[QUOTE=tugsailor;155385]Its time (actual long past time) for some new safety and environmental protection laws:

No foreign flag rigs allowed to operate in the US more the 180 days during any five year period, unless reflagged US and 80 percent US crewed.[/QUOTE]

Any particular reason you suggest these far reaching changes?

Kurt