Despite plunging oil prices, Gulf on brink of boom

the way I see it we are in a price war for market share…the OPEC producers (at least in the Gulf region) are bound and determined to smite the interlopers as per this article

[B]Oil glut could take years to fix, U.A.E. Energy Minister says[/B]

ANTHONY DIPAOLA

ABU DHABI (Bloomberg) – Oversupply in crude markets could take months or even years to fix depending on when producers outside OPEC cut their output, Abu Dhabi-based The National reported, citing comments by U.A.E. Energy Minister Suhail Al Mazrouei.

“We are experiencing an obvious oversupply in the market that needs time to be absorbed,” the newspaper reported Mazrouei as saying in emailed comments. The United Arab Emirates supported the November decision by the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries to maintain production, The National reported Mazrouei as saying.

Brent crude, a pricing benchmark for more than half of the world’s oil, tumbled 48% last year, the most since 2008. OPEC decided Nov. 27 to maintain production instead of cutting output to eliminate a surplus left by increased supplies from the U.S. to Russia.

“Depending on the actual production growth from non-OPEC countries, this problem could take months or even years,” the U.A.E.’s Mazrouei was quoted as saying in The National, referring to oversupply. “If they act rationally, we can see positive corrections during 2015.”

Saudi Arabia won’t cut its output, though producers outside the group are welcome to do so, Ali Al-Naimi, that country’s oil minister, said at a conference in Abu Dhabi Dec. 21. OPEC would find it “difficult, if not impossible” to give up part of its share in global oil markets by cutting output, he said Dec. 19.

OPEC’s Contribution

Mazrouei said OPEC didn’t contribute to putting too much crude up for sale “and shall not be blamed if other non-OPEC countries oversupply the market,” according to The National.

U.A.E. oil output averaged 2.77 MMbpd last year, down from 2.92 MMbpd in August 2013, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Saudi oil production at 9.5 MMbpd is near a three-decade high of 10 MMbpd reached in September. OPEC production at 30.2 MMbopd in December exceeded the group’s own 30 MMbopd target for a seventh consecutive month, according to the data compiled by Bloomberg.

Saudi Arabia and the U.A.E. have boosted output this decade to compensate for losses in OPEC production from countries such as Libya and Iran. The higher output from those countries and in North America combined with slowing demand growth in Asia to drive prices lower, OPEC’s Secretary General Abdalla El-Badri said last month in Abu Dhabi.

Boosting Demand

The low oil prices could encourage economic growth and, in turn, boost demand for crude, Mazrouei said, according to The National.

The U.A.E. plans to boost oil production capacity to 3.5 MMbpd in 2017 and won’t change its development plans due to crude price fluctuations, The National reported Mazrouei as saying. The country can currently pump about 3 MMbopd, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

“Most of the projects are committed and under construction and we don’t foresee any delays on the capacity expansion,” he said. “But building the capacity is something and using it is something else. We will always be wise and considerate of the world supply and demand.”

01/07/2015

This could have an interesting paradoxical effect on a different sector of shipping- cargo. Of course, this has to be matched by consumer demand. You can’t ship to people who aren’t buying. Just a thought.

Cheaper gas means more extra pocket money means people buy more rubber dog sh!t from Wally World means more cargo traffic at our ports.

Let’s hope that does happen.

China are buying oil as fast as they can pump it ashore.
I wonder when they are full the reduced volume of imports will lower the price further…ugly thought.

• Updated - - -

I think the current loss/spend on a low oil price is probably the most effective money ever spent attacking the enemy in the middle east.
Saudi and the USA have a few common enemies there being dealt with very effectively as there is no defense to the low price weapon.
Ps Australia also has massive projects heading for loss making completetions whilst head count dropping everywhere

I agree with you but economic unrest in the middle east is a recipe for disaster for the US, especially considering that it’s as a direct result of our actions, or so the arabs would have it. The white devils of North America (no, not the Canadians…) have flooded the market with this new fracking oil and caused global prices to plummet, so of course you should strap on a suicide vest and hop on the next 747 bound for New York! I mean, what would any other self-respecting oppressed resident of the world’s sand box do?

I’m not suggesting that American oil supremacy is a bad thing, I say “drill baby, drill!” right to the very end, but it should be noted that there are consequences, and serious ones, for our actions.

just ran across this and am confused as I believed only condensate was being exported now and not crude

[B]Oil exports from U.S. jump 34% to record as shale output booms[/B]

DAN MURTAUGH and BRIAN WINGFIELD

WASHINGTON (Bloomberg) – The U.S. exported a record amount of crude oil in November after a five-year run of production growth that has made the country the most oil-independent in 20 years.

Shipments surged 34% to average 502,000 bopd in November, the most on record dating back to 1920, data from the U.S. Census Bureau and the Energy Information Administration show. The previous peak was 455,000 in March 1957. The U.S. is now the 17th-largest exporter.

The export record was unthinkable just five years ago, when U.S. crude production was still near a nadir after a 25-year decline. Since then, producers using horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing in underground shale rock have boosted output by 66%. Lawmakers in Washington are trying to end a 40-year-old law that restricts crude exports to just a few markets.

“This is something we never expected to see,” Carl Larry, president of Oil Outlooks & Opinions LLC in Houston, said. “You look back at 2008, 2009, domestic production was half what it is now. We’re not just passing a benchmark in exports, this is going to be a trend going forward.”

While exports of all grades of U.S. crude – light, heavy and condensates from natural gas – surged in November, those of light oil were largely responsible for the increase. They jumped to 430,739 bopd in November from 330,761 bopd the previous month. Light oil has a gravity measurement of at least 25 API. Heavy crude exports increased to 26,128 bopd in November from 17,505.

Oil Exports

Shale oil from places like the Bakken formation in North Dakota and the Eagle Ford in Texas is typically light and has driven most of the growth in U.S. production. Light oil output increased to 4.5 MMbpd last year from 1.8 MMbpd in 2011, according to the Energy Information Administration.

Booming output has reduced the need for crude imports. Foreign barrels account for 43% of the oil in U.S. refineries, the lowest level since 1992.

About 91% of all crude exports, which included foreign-origin crude that has been stored in the U.S., went to Canada in November. The remainder included 608,241 bbl to Switzerland, 508,356 to Singapore, and 287,970 to China.

The U.S. is still a relatively small exporter on the global market. A half-million barrels a day is less than 10% of what Saudi Arabia exports and ahead of OPEC member Ecuador, according to data from the Joint Organizations Data Initiative.

Small Exporter

About 218,000 bopd left from northern places like Detroit, upstate New York and Maine. Another 174,000 exited via Texas ports like Houston and Corpus Christi. About 70,000 went through Montana and North Dakota, and 38,000 out of New Orleans.

The U.S. bans most exports of unrefined crude oil. Shipments to Canadian refiners are allowed, as are re-exports of foreign oil, and a few other small exceptions. Congress will discuss repealing the ban in 2015, Representative Ed Whitfield, a Kentucky Republican and chairman of the House Energy and Power Subcommittee, said at a Dec. 11 hearing in Washington.

For now, the existing exceptions are helping producers find higher-value markets for U.S. crude. The U.S. benchmark West Texas Intermediate was $2.50/bbl less than Brent on Jan. 7, from a $13.44 discount a year ago.

Reaching foreign markets is more important now than it was six months ago, with crude prices falling 55% since June as global production outpaces sluggish demand growth. WTI settled at $48.65 on Jan. 7, compared to $107.26 in June 20.

“Are you more desperate to get a better deal when you’re poor? I guess you are,” John Auers, executive V.P. at Dallas-based Turner Mason & Co. an energy consulting firm, said. “Producers are on the edge of profitability. They’re a little more incentivized now.”

01/07/2015

I hope all can agree with me that if crude is being exported circumventing the law, our government is failing US yet again!

there definitely is stockpiling taking place but there are only so many surplus VLCCs sitting idle so this cannot be a major factor to stabilize a price…plus those buying this oil to sit on till the price rises can only do that for so long before the holding costs erase any possible profit they can make in a slack market

[B]Oil Traders Stockpiling Oil at Sea Amid Glut
[/B]

By Reuters On January 8, 2015

By Jonathan Saul, Claire Milhench and David Sheppard

LONDON, Jan 8 (Reuters) – Some of the world’s largest oil traders have this week hired supertankers to store crude at sea, marking a milestone in the build-up of the global glut.

Trading firms including Vitol, Trafigura and energy major Shell have all booked crude tankers for up to 12 months, freight brokers and shipping sources told Reuters.

They said the flurry of long-term bookings was unusual and suggested traders could use the vessels to store excess crude at sea until prices rebound, repeating a popular 2009 trading gambit when prices last crashed.

The more than 50 percent fall in spot prices now allows traders to make money by storing the crude for delivery months down the line, when prices are expected to recover.

The price of Brent crude is now around $8 a barrel higher for delivery at the end of 2015, with its premium rising sharply over spot prices this week due to forecasts for a large surplus in the first half of this year, in a market structure known as contango.

Brent hit a 5 1/2-year low of $49.66 a barrel on Wednesday. It was trading around $51 a barrel on Thursday.

While major energy traders will often hire vessels for long periods as part of their day-to-day operations, industry sources said the fixtures booked in the last week had the option to hold oil in storage. Some could still be used for conventional oil transportation.

Vitol, the world’s largest independent oil trader, has booked the TI Oceania Ultra Large Crude Carrier, a 3 million barrel capacity mega-ship that is one of the biggest ocean going vessels in the world by dead weight tonnage (DWT).

The fixture lists, provided to Reuters by tanker brokers and oil traders, also showed Vitol has booked the 2 million barrel Maran Corona Very Large Crude Carrier (VLCC), while Swiss-based trader Trafigura has hired at least one VLCC, the Nave Synergy. Shell has taken two VLCCs, the Xin Run Yang and Xin Tong Yang, the lists showed.

Vitol, Trafigura and Shell all declined to comment.

LONGER BOOKINGS, CHEAPER RATES

The shipping lists indicate the trading firms have been able to hire the VLCCs for less than $40,000 a day – well below spot rates closer to $97,000 a day, the highest in years, which had so far put off many oil traders.

The lower rate has been possible to arrange, brokers said, by agreeing to take some older and less fuel-efficient vessels for up to 12 months.

“In 2009 freight rates were extremely low and owners were willing to put their ships out on charter in order to mitigate weak spot rates,” said Christian Waldegrave at leading tanker owner Teekay.

“In a rising freight market, such as we are in now, I would think that owners would be more hesitant to fix out their ships on time charter unless they felt strongly that rates were about to decline.”

Initial indications are around 12-15 million barrels of floating storage have been booked so far. In 2009 at least 100 million barrels of oil ended up being stored at sea.

Shipping sources said more oil traders have also been making enquiries in the past week.

Analysts at JBC Energy in Vienna said floating storage, while a sign of an oversupplied market, may provide some temporary support for oil prices in the coming weeks now that traders were able to move crude on to tankers.

“This will not only release some pressure on front-end prices, but also allow for the physical market to clear somewhat,” JBC Energy said in a note.

“The physical market could also turn temporarily supportive over the coming months thanks to the balancing effect of floating storage.” (Editing by William Hardy)

© 2015 Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved.

[QUOTE=c.captain;151428]there definitely is stockpiling taking place but there are only so many surplus VLCCs sitting idle so this cannot be a major factor to stabilize a price…plus those buying this oil to sit on till the price rises can only do that for so long before the holding costs erase any possible profit they can make in a slack market[/QUOTE]

The biggest problem is refining capacity running at 99%. There are finally a few refinery expansions going on now. Production far out weighs capacity of the refineries.

I’m assuming these ships just find a cozy place to drop the anchor and wait, correct? It wouldn’t make sense for them to do circles out in the ocean.

Isn’t this most of what’s being exported in reality?

“While untreated crude oil is generally banned from being exported…The question that has bedeviled U.S. producers is how the rules apply to “processed condensate,” ultra-light oil that has been heated through a very basic refining unit.”

[QUOTE=c.captain;151428]there definitely is stockpiling taking place but there are only so many surplus VLCCs sitting idle so this cannot be a major factor to stabilize a price…plus those buying this oil to sit on till the price rises can only do that for so long before the holding costs erase any possible profit they can make in a slack market[/QUOTE]

Well see now there’s the other side of the coin…the cost to hold is cheap(er) right now because of 1. foreign crews who make peanuts and 2. cheaper bunkers to add up to a reasonable day rate.

They’ve done this before…mid 2000’s I believe and were able to sell the oil profitably later on. I am afraid I don’t know as much as I ought regarding these types of practices but a lot has to do with predicting future prices.

there is simply nobody out there who can predict where the price will hit bottom but I will tell you this…don’t buy as long as fear pervades the market. As long as there is fear that the price will be low, the price will be low. Right now I challenge you to find even a single article saying that oil is going to rebound before the second half of this year and most are saying the entire year will be in the tank

[B]Investors Freak As Saudi Inaction Could Sink Oil To $20 A Barrel. Time To Buy?[/B]

1/06/2015

OPEC is not going to come to the rescue. It is up to American producers to cut oil supplies.

The world is freaking out over oil. After falling 6% on Monday, U.S. crude slipped another 4% Tuesday to close at $47.92. Brent crude is now down to $51.10. This is the lowest price since early 2009, when oil bottomed at $35 less than nine months after hitting a record high of $147.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 331 points Monday and another 130 Tuesday. Many reports have blamed oil for the stock market weakness, but that doesn’t really make much sense. All else equal, low oil prices are a boon to economic growth. And besides, considering how high the Dow has risen, 330 points just ain’t what it used to be — merely a 1.8% move. Back in 2008 the Dow suffered 11 days with losses of 4% or more.

Indeed, it’s the pain being borne by energy investors that is dragging down the market. Energy makes up about 10% of the large-cap universe. On Monday the average energy company was off 4%. Weaker, debt-saddled companies fared far worse. Swift Energy was down 18%, SandRidge Energy fell nearly 13% and Halcon Resources lost 10%.

When a commodity falls 50% in price so quickly, bargain hunters emerge. On Monday a self-described “degenerate gambler” and Forbes staffer asked if now was the time to take a flyer on USO — the United States Oil Fund exchange traded fund that ostensibly tracks oil prices — in expectation of an eventual upturn.

No, I told him. Don’t buy USO. In fact, if I’m going to bet on oil, that ETF is the last thing I’d buy. It makes far more sense to buy shares in the companies that produce it, for the simple reason that a leveraged commodity producer’s earnings modulate with a greater amplitude than the swings in the price of their underlying commodity. In other words, oil company shares tend to be more volatile than oil itself.

Look at the five-year or 10-year chart on the USO fund, and compare it with those of three champions of the American oil boom: EOG Resources EOG +0.67%, Pioneer Natural Resources PXD +0.78%, and Continental Resources CLR +3.02%. In good times the ETF has lagged on the upside. And in bad times, like recently, it has lost even more than those other companies’ shares.

If you’re thinking about buying into this market, you want to own well run companies with low-cost core acreage in the best oil fields. Because once this era of oil price volatility is over and the market returns to a new normalcy it will be American tight oil producers that assume the role of “swing producers,” bringing stability to the market.

Much of the value of these American companies is in their flexibility to tailor their drilling programs to prevailing prices. It used to be that big oil companies had to invest billions of dollars over several years in massive projects before they could start getting oil out of the ground. But the shale oil boom has changed that. These companies, and many others, now have lots of options and can quite quickly ramp up or dial back drilling operations in response to prices.

It used to be that OPEC controlled the world oil market while Saudi Arabia was the designated swing producer. But with the rise of new American oil, that has changed. Henceforth, it will be American oil producers that supply the world’s marginal, high-priced barrels, and American producers that will need to have the discipline (without collusion of course!) to keep from over drilling.

This reality hasn’t quite been accepted by oil companies still waiting for OPEC to take action and cut its own production. Which is why oil prices (and stocks) likely have another big leg down from here.

How far? At least $40. Maybe even $20.

But don’t take my word for it.

Two weeks ago, while most of us were getting merry and happy, the Middle East Economic Survey landed an exclusive interview with Saudi oil minister Ali Naimi. (I encourage everyone with an interest in oil markets to read the full interview for free here.)

In the interview, Naimi said in no uncertain terms that neither the Kingdom nor OPEC has any intention to cut production. He said that Saudi production costs are no more than $5 per barrel, and that marginal costs of development are “at most” $10 per barrel.

Thus, Naimi said, “As a policy for OPEC, and I convinced OPEC of this […] it is not in the interest of OPEC producers to cut their production, whatever the price is.” He added: “Whether it goes down to $20, $40, $50, $60, it is irrelevant.”

some people think my entire world revolves around gCaptain but right now I am reading everything I can about this current market situation…there has not been a similar set of market conditions since the mid 1980s and those of us old enough to remember that decade know what happened back then. It was very, very ugly!

Some speculators have made a deal with shippers to rent the tankers for a while. rates are increasing as the Chinese ship oil to their large tanks. these speculators are holding the oil betting on a rise in price before long. It is a risky gamble and millions are at stake.
We will see plenty of mantra like: ''we should pay more and appease the ‘dark forces’!
If the house of Saud gets unseated everything will come unglued.
What if fracking is outlawed in the USA?
Better to invest in healthcare as this is giving us all heart disease.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;151444]I’m assuming these ships just find a cozy place to drop the anchor and wait, correct? It wouldn’t make sense for them to do circles out in the ocean.[/QUOTE]
They do both, part of the price is the shipping so you want your oil close to the customers dock.
I notice in Singapore/Johor Malaysia, one month no tankers, next empty tankers next all full at anchor

well if the Gulf is on the brink of a boom, the North Sea sure as hell ain’t!

[B]Tough Times Ahead for Offshore Norway in 2015[/B]

Rigzone Staff

Monday, January 05, 2015

Rigzone takes a look at what 2015 has in store for exploration and field developments on the Norwegian Continental Shelf.

In northern Europe, offshore Norway has in recent years been regarded as one of the more profitable, and even exciting, regions for oil and gas operators to be involved in.

Norway represents a rare combination in the world’s oil and gas industry in that it offers energy companies the stability of a maturing basin with well-developed infrastructure along with frontier exploration opportunities. Not only have companies like Statoil ASA led a technologically-driven approach to maximizing recovery of hydrocarbons from the Norwegian North Sea, squeezing ever more energy out of fields that are often decades old, but the promise of Arctic oil treasure has also seen exploration forays into the Norwegian zone of the Barents Sea.

Consequently, during the past few years plenty of exploration and production companies have decided to enter the Norwegian oil and gas sector while others have expanded their presence there.

As recently as September, Germany’s Wintershall Holding GmbH paid $1.25 billion to take stakes in several Norwegian North Sea fields, including the Aasta Hansteen gas field.

Austria’s OMV AG expanded its presence in the Norwegian North Sea (as well as the UK sector) with a similar deal in 2013 and even embarked on a major recruitment drive to help service this expansion.

Meanwhile, a range of companies both large and small have been investing in exploration in the Norwegian Barents Sea with mixed success.

However, the sudden rapid drop in the price of oil in recent months poses a question about how much new activity will be taking place on the Norwegian Continental Shelf over the next year or so.

For example, Statoil suspended more than a third of its fleet of exploration rigs in 2014 and in early December the firm took the decision to extend the suspension of three drilling rigs as part of its struggle to cut costs as its profit margins shrink. It has also decided to postpone until October 2015 a decision that had been due in March about whether to go ahead with a new platform at the Snorre field in the Norwegian Sea. Statoil believes the project could be used to extract an additional 240 million barrels of oil from the Snorre field, but it would also cost the partners in the field more than $5 billion.

More Fast-Track Developments

In mid-November, Statoil’s field development chief was reported by Reuters as saying that although the lower oil price could make it difficult to get an investment decision for several field development projects going into 2015, the firm still planned to launch more fast-track projects. Statoil’s fast-track approach sees the company make use of modular equipment and existing infrastructure in order to bring smaller, simpler discoveries into production quickly.

Indeed, research firm Wood Mackenzie reported in August that such incremental projects in the Norwegian upstream sector are set to grow in importance in relation to larger, greenfield developments.

Statoil has already given the green light to 11 fast-track development projects and the firm expects to see between 20 and 30 exploration wells drilled in 2015. Meanwhile, it continues to work on the Johan Sverdrup field and a field development plan for the first phase of this field Is due to be submitted to the Norwegian government in mid-February ahead of a production start-up that is planned for late 2019.

Plans for how the $20-billion Johan Sverdrup field will be powered will be spelled out in more detail this coming spring. The details of this will be closely scrutinized after a heated debate in the Norwegian parliament earlier last year when some of the country’s opposition parties called for the more environmentally-friendly option of powering the project from onshore instead of generating electricity locally on platforms using natural gas and diesel.

However, after Statoil said this could push up costs and delay the project, parliament agreed in June that electrification should happen as soon as possible and be in place by 2022.

Barents Sea: ‘Not a Sprint, But a Marathon’

In the Barents Sea, Statoil will spend 2015 focusing on analyzing the data it acquired in its 2013-2014 exploration campaign, which had rather mixed results. In a statement in early November the firm conceded that it made fewer commercial discoveries in the Barents Sea than it had hoped for but insisted that exploring in the region “is not a sprint, but a marathon” and that its work there is about “long-term thinking, stamina and systematic building of knowledge”.

Statoil scored a small success with its May 2014 oil discovery at the Drivis well – which will now be developed as part of the Johan Castberg project. The firm will now look at the results of other wells it has drilled in the Barents region and interpret the 3D data from a joint seismic acquisition program in the southeastern Barents Sea ahead of its application for licenses in Norway’s 23rd oil and gas licensing round, which is expected to be launched during the coming months.

It has not been all plain sailing for other operators in the Barents Sea either. While Lundin Petroleum AB and Det norske oljeselskap ASA scored a couple of drilling successes themselves in 2014, the development of the Goliat oilfield is proving somewhat of a headache for Italy’s Eni S.p.A. (the operator of the field). Goliat was originally scheduled to begin production in 2013, with production expected to plateau at 100,000 barrels per day. However, production start-up was delayed until December 2014 and in May 2014 Eni declared that start-up would now take place in mid-2015. The Goliat project is expected to cost almost 50 percent more than originally planned, according to the Norwegian government.

So, a tough year lies ahead for Norway’s offshore sector. Just how tough remains to be seen, but the applications made in the 23rd licensing round should provide a clue as to the continuing attractiveness of the Norwegian Continental Shelf to the oil and gas industry.

“SCHLUMBERGER SAYS CUTTING ABOUT 9,000 JOBS” Bloomberg headline just now.

“baker hughes will fire 7000 in the first q”

I know many of you don’t like it when I post these reports I find but it is very likely going to be reality and I believe we all must be able to face it

[B]Hundreds of thousands of US layoffs expected as oil boom unravels[/B]

By Gabriel Black
15 January 2015

The precipitous drop in the price of oil has prompted oil companies to prepare mass layoffs in 2015 as sections of the industry become unprofitable. According to a variety of sources, hundreds of thousands of jobs in the US alone could disappear this year if oil prices remain low.

The boom led to the addition of some 150,000 jobs in the industry, according to Citi Research. The slowdown could wipe out even more as jobs are slashed in exploration, construction, refining and the tens of thousands of jobs that service the industry and its workers.

The job cuts, which are occurring worldwide, will be most pronounced in regions where “unconventional” oil production has recently developed. In Texas, for instance, where a large oil boom has occurred at the Eagle Ford shale formation, the Dallas Federal Reserve predicts that 128,000 jobs could be lost in the state by mid-2015 if West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude oil remains around $55.00 a barrel. As of this writing, WTI crude is going for $48.52 a barrel.

“Unconventional” fields, such as shale formations, which require hydraulic fracturing or fracking, tar sands, and deep-sea offshore reserves, have costs of production far higher than “conventional” oil. While the average Saudi Arabian field has a price of production close to $1 a barrel, an average shale field in the United States only begins to break even at $69 a barrel, according to a recent Scotia Bank estimate.

The drop in price has caused oil producers, where they can, to halt or slow down activity at their least profitable rigs. Reuters received data from Drilling Info Inc. that shows approved new oil well permits in the US dropping from 7,227 to 4,520 between October and November, a drop of 37.5 percent in a single month. The Wall Street Journ al quotes Susan Murphy, an oil and steel analyst, saying that spending on oil production and exploration will fall by 20 percent in the US this year. Total land rigs will decline by as much as 500 according to Murphy. Rocky Mountain Oil Journal quotes Dave Galt of the Montana Petroleum Association, who predicts a 50 percent decline in the drilling of new oil wells this year in the Bakken Shale formation, which underlies parts of Montana, North Dakota, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

“Demand for rigs is falling off the cliff,” Joseph Triepke, a financial analyst and managing director of Oilpro, an industry publishing company, told the New York Times. “Exploration and production budgets are down anywhere from 30 to 40 percent and the cuts are happening faster than we thought.” Over the next six months, Triepke told the Times, the big three land drilling companies—Helmerich & Payne, Nabors Industries and Patterson-UTI Energy—are “likely to cut approximately 15,000 jobs out of the 50,000 people they currently employ.”

The oil service giant Halliburton announced in December that it would cut 1,000 jobs from its division in the “eastern hemisphere.” Halliburton’s multimillionaire CEO, Dave Lesar, sent an e-mail out to employees informing them that further layoffs could follow. The international oil giant BP announced in December it would lay off an unspecified number of workers as part of a $1 billion cost-cutting campaign. A host of other oil companies are shutting down development projects and slashing spending.

In Mexico, 10,000 workers were laid off last week. The majority of the workers operated rigs in the offshore formations of the Bay of Campeche in the Gulf of Mexico. Like many oil workers, they worked for smaller oil service companies that contracted out to a giant oil company, in this case state-owned Petroleo Mexicanos (Pemex). In a phone interview with Bloomberg, Gonzalo Hernandez, the secretary of the Ciudad del Carmen Economic Development Chamber, said job losses could go much higher, all the way to 50,000 this year.

In Bakersfield, California, the Employment Development Department was given notice by Ensign Energy Services that it would be axing 700 jobs. Edgar Salazar, who was fired just before Christmas by the company, spoke to Bakersfieldnow. Fighting off tears, he told the news agency, “I’ve never seen it this bad…. I’ve got six kids. It’s stressful…. I have to support my family some way or another.” Edgar had worked in the oil industry for 14 years and, up until now, has always been employed.

The comment section of Bakersfieldnow was filled with hundreds of comments expressing the sentiment of oil workers and sympathetic workers. “Kirsty Darren King Clark” wrote, “I have been Human Resources at a drilling company for 13 years…. I have never seen it this bad and I don’t expect it to get better…. I was laid off. I hope and pray every oilfield man/women will get through this rough patch….” Arlene Aninion wrote, “Wouldn’t it be nice, though, if these oil companies would forego their HUGE profits every now and then so the employees could keep their jobs and provide for their families?”

It is not just oil workers who are affected by the price fall. US Steel, whose most profitable wing has been supplying steel pipes for the burgeoning shale industry in the US, recently fired 756 workers. The company is idling steel mills that specialize in Oil Country Tubular Goods in McKeesport, Pennsylvania; Lorain, Ohio; and Houston and Belleville, Texas. Its stock has fallen by about 20 percent over the past year.

Civeco, which operates camps for oil workers in undeveloped areas, saw its stock plummet by 53 percent on a single day of trading in December. The resultant job loss is not known. Overall, the Energy Select Sector (XLE) stock index, which houses major energy companies, has dropped by more than 25 percent in the past six months.

Many states will be devastated by the decline in oil price. Alaska depends on oil taxes for 90 percent of its revenue and is expected to cut its expenditures by 50 percent to deal with the price decline. Louisiana is expecting a $1.4 billion funding shortfall for the 2015-2016 budget and has begun enacting cuts. Oklahoma, North Dakota, and Texas are the three other states whose budgets will be significantly hurt by the fall in oil prices.

Oil has plunged by more than 55 percent since its previous peak in July 2014. The last time the oil price dropped so starkly was in 2008 during the global financial crisis, when West Texas crude went from $145.29 in July 2008 to as low as $30.81 in December 2008, a 79 percent drop.

I do not believe the claim that Saudi crude only costs $1/bbl to produce and expect that to be a misprint but believe $10/bbl is the correct number

Halliburton says “expect our headcount adjustments to be in line with our primary competitors”

I know this much…looking at everybody’s share prices this morning, everybody is down close to 3% since the market opened.

yeeech