Day rates

hey guys
just a quick question about day rates. just say we’re talkin $280 a day, is this before taxes or after.just wondering how this works. thanks for your help!

[quote=fairtry;27531]
[I]just a quick question about day rates. just say we’re talkin $280 a day, is this before taxes or after.just wondering how this works. thanks for your help![/I][/quote]

Generally speaking, Gross pay before taxes.

thanks for the quick response 10talents.appreciate it im just starting out in the merchant marine industry and have oh so many questions.i try to search for things on this forum and in the cfr’s to see if i can answer my own questions.but sometimes it doesn’t hurt to ask someone with previous experience like the guys on this forum, thanks again:)

You Betcha. Have fun reading the CFR’s. I had rather go see my dentist.

When speaking of day rates make sure what period you are speaking of. I recently was contacted by a potential employer and their pay is based on an hourly rate plus overtime. The Personnel Manager was quite concerned with my interpretation of the day rate because you earn the base rate during your time off as well. So the “daily rate” is less per day but for more days during the year.