Dad Needs to Advise Son: Coast Guard Enlisted or Piney Point?

Greetings,

I have 20 yr old son who is a conscientious and hard worker and has the professional goal of one day becoming a channel pilot.

A couple of weeks ago he approached a gentleman in our church who is a local channel pilot and who immediately facilitated a same-day interview with a Regional SIU exec who, in turn, strongly encouraged my son to obtain his TWIC card (rcvd in 1 week) and passport in preparation of enrolling/attending SIU’s Piney Point program.

Somewhat parallel to this mentoring, my son has also recently been strongly encouraged to look into USCG enlistment by another church member who is active duty USCG officer and recently the CO of the local unit in our area. Early discussions with local recruiter in the regard have also been very promising, but have been put on a bit of a “hold” by my son - in large part due to his belief that since the channel pilot mentor is suggesting the SIU Piney Point route, this must be the better route for him to take to eventually achieve the channel pilot goal.

After lurking on this form for a bit, though, it isn’t clear to me that CG duty wouldn’t also be able to provide an opportunity for at least some of the experience, licenses, etc. that he would ultimately require to become a channel pilot. Additionally, while I understand SIU advertises a guaranteed 1st job, it isn’t clear to me as to the short/med term outlook for newbie employment in the MM industry beyond that SIU 1st job.

Any suggestions as to how I might advise my son? Thanks.

He’s only 20. USCG is hardest service to get into. 3-5 yrs active duty status will always be good on his record.

Virtually nothing can be trusted in SIU.

He has plenty of time to be a pilot. Excluding a few states, his connections will be more valuable to winning an apprentice pilot spot than any license or experience. Not saying those 2 things aren’t important, but pilotage minimum qualifications from port to port.

If he goes USCG, just make sure he comes out with at least enough time and clear wording from REC that he can/upgrade to AB Unlimited if not 1600 T mate. That’s the tough part.

First step is to go ahead and get TWIC card, ordinary seaman USCG credential.

Only thing is what kind of billet he would get in the CG? Not sure how useful a few years as say a lawnmower mechanic at an air station would be? It happens…nothing is guaranteed as I have been told from those who have been there, done that.

[QUOTE=z-drive;157865]Only thing is what kind of billet he would get in the CG? Not sure how useful a few years as say a lawnmower mechanic at an air station would be? It happens…nothing is guaranteed as I have been told from those who have been there, done that.[/QUOTE]

Yes, of course, the billet thing is always an issue. No matter the branch.

At 20, I still say the Veteran label (earned of course) is more valuable than going off to Piney Point to rake Sacco’s leaves for however long before he goes out as an SIU cadet…

Johnny Canal - so, I take it that you are suggesting the CG route (with the qualifications noted in your reply).

Z-Drive - Boatswain’s Mate rating is what he has been encouraged to investigate in the case of CG, but I am sure this would be a lot of lawn mowing, paint chipping, head-scrubbing, etc. for anyone.

Just to clarify, he and I both realize it would take years of work for him to get to the point where he is qualified to channel pilot vessels. I’m simply trying to find out if there is a viable route to this goal that includes the CG and, if so, comparing the short/medium term prospects for steady employment of MM vs CG.

Thanks for your input. Very helpful!

[QUOTE=z-drive;157865]Only thing is what kind of billet he would get in the CG? Not sure how useful a few years as say a lawnmower mechanic at an air station would be? It happens…nothing is guaranteed as I have been told from those who have been there, done that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for input, z-drive. Of course, I realize billet is not the same thing as a rating, but for what its worth, he’s 6’4"/240lb. The CO of the local CG unit was encouraging him toward a Boatswain Mate rating because, according to him, CG likes to put big guys on interdiction boats as it tends to demoralize any bad guys.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;157863]He’s only 20. USCG is hardest service to get into. 3-5 yrs active duty status will always be good on his record.

Virtually nothing can be trusted in SIU.

He has plenty of time to be a pilot. Excluding a few states, his connections will be more valuable to winning an apprentice pilot spot than any license or experience. Not saying those 2 things aren’t important, but pilotage minimum qualifications from port to port.

If he goes USCG, just make sure he comes out with at least enough time and clear wording from REC that he can/upgrade to AB Unlimited if not 1600 T mate. That’s the tough part.

First step is to go ahead and get TWIC card, ordinary seaman USCG credential.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for feedback, Johnny Canal. He received TWIC card this past week.

I think enlisting in the CG is a waste of time for his goal. As said, no telling what rating he will get. Even if he gets the applicable rating, his sea time is still not going to count 1 for 1 for an AB ticket. If the goal is to get a AB unlimited tonnage, than why not go the piney point route? Contacts are whats important, and the CG doesn’t produce channel pilots. Also, why go to piney point instead of the Maritime Academy route? That will set you even better…

To second Lone_Star, why not an Academy? I’ll shamelessly recommend Great Lakes Maritime Academy where he can get the experience of acquiring Federal pilotage on the Great Lakes and 3 rivers which might prove useful towards pursuing pilotage elsewhere further down the road.

[QUOTE=Lone_Star;157875]Also, why go to piney point instead of the Maritime Academy route? That will set you even better…[/QUOTE]

Thanks for input, Lone Star.
An MA is also something that my son has considered and there are local possibilities in this regard, but he has it in his mind that he would rather actually work and gain experience in the industry for 4 years than sit in class for 4 years without any guarantee of a job when he gets out. Not saying this is correct thinking - just what he’s got in his head right now.

With that in mind, could you explain exactly how a 4-yr MA degree would/could be the best route given his channel pilot goal?

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=socalguy;157876]To second Lone_Star, why not an Academy? I’ll shamelessly recommend Great Lakes Maritime Academy where he can get the experience of acquiring Federal pilotage on the Great Lakes and 3 rivers which might prove useful towards pursuing pilotage elsewhere further down the road.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, socalguy, and the same follow-up question that I posed to LoneStar - what would you say to convince a 20yr old that a 4-yr MA degree would be more likely to allow him to eventually achieve the channel pilot goal?

[QUOTE=wxman;157878]Thanks for input, Lone Star.
An MA is also something that my son has considered and there are local possibilities in this regard, but he has it in his mind that he would rather actually work and gain experience in the industry for 4 years than sit in class for 4 years without any guarantee of a job when he gets out. Not saying this is correct thinking - just what he’s got in his head right now.

With that in mind, could you explain exactly how a 4-yr MA degree would/could be the best route given his channel pilot goal?

• Updated - - -

Thanks, socalguy, and the same follow-up question that I posed to LoneStar - what would you say to convince a 20yr old that a 4-yr MA degree would be more likely to allow him to eventually achieve the channel pilot goal?[/QUOTE]

Well he certainly won’t be sitting in a class for 4 years. Even then, those classes are directly applicable to the job, such as radar, rules of the road, simulator classes and so forth. That coupled with a year of sea time added up during the summer months leaves you with some of the best experience for the job as a pilot. Being in the CG enlisted and driving around a dingy boat will get you about as much experience as a recreational bass fisherman.

We’ve heard the words “Contacts” thrown around some. The CG will leave you with relatively nothing in the way of contacts for getting a pilotage job. What it might, and I emphasize might leave you with is some sea time to maybe get a AB ticket, which you would be almost guaranteed to get at SIU. Going the academy route will leave you in contact with pilots, or people who will become pilots when they graduate. The CG almost offers you nothing more than joining the AF would.

[QUOTE=wxman;157878]Thanks, socalguy, and the same follow-up question that I posed to LoneStar - what would you say to convince a 20yr old that a 4-yr MA degree would be more likely to allow him to eventually achieve the channel pilot goal?[/QUOTE]

It’s not the degree as such, it’s the fact that he would come out with a license. At some point, in order to become a pilot, he’ll have had to been a licensed officer somewhere. That doesn’t have to be an unlimited license, necessarily–plenty of pilots are former tugboat masters–but it will set him on that path. Speaking of tugboats, maybe that’s another route he can go? It may not be easy to break into the towing industry but it could be another option.

Advantages of going the academy route: license in four years, college degree in case he wants to do something different, and by going the academy route he will be fully certified and ready to work on his license upon graduation. Disadvantages: it costs money to attend college, and he won’t have the opportunity to earn money while learning on the job. But these disadvantages could well be outweighed by the fact that he will probably be earning a good deal more money to start off.

If he’s going to go to Piney Point, he may as well try for the academy route. The Piney Point program I think takes a couple years anyway, and while it may not cost as much as an academy, he also won’t be earning as much once he completes the program, as he would upon completing an academy. Also, he’d be on his own as far as getting a license, meaning he’d have to go take required classes on his own time, and very probably on his own dime. Paying for all those classes may not cost as much as going to an academy, but it’s not an insignificant chunk either.

To summarize, I would rank each of his options as follows:

1. Maritime academy.
  2. Getting work straight away somewhere on a workboat or in the towing industry.
  3. Piney Point.
  4. Coast Guard–to me, this isn’t even really an option if he wants to become a pilot someday.

In my opinion 3/m AGT from an academy is usually the best route to go. Why does he specifically want to be a channel pilot instead of a mate if I might ask. Otherwise USCG is a good choice but his goals will probably end up changing durning his term and hopefully he gets a good job.

All good stuff, lone_star. Thanks for the insights!

I don’t think he could tell you the difference between the two at this point, LL_Domer.I fully admit I can’t! :slight_smile:

What I do know is that he has had multiple interactions with the current local channel pilot from church that I mentioned in my original post and is convinced the guy does pretty well financially and that he believes that the job would suit him. I believe the fact that these guys may not be away from home for quite the extended periods of time as others in the industry is also a consideration with my son. That being said, he fully realizes that pretty much any route he choose will likely include extended periods of time from home in the early-going.

Just happened to be watching this video and thought it might be useful to you offering some visual representation of Pilots, Officers (Mates and Engineers), and ratings (ABs, OS, Wipers, QMEDS, etc). You hear the terms thrown around throughout the video, with explanations.

//youtu.be/V4C4eX2whRM

Even considering connections, becoming a pilot is never guaranteed. Lots of guys with connections bust their ass for years and never get a shot, or don’t make it. That’s like planning to be in the NFL because your father’s friend was in the NFL. You need to kick ass in high school football, college, and then still be in the minority of chosen ones who actually make it, nevermind make a whole career out of it.

Either focus on the above options for a career in the merchant marine and associated industries in whatever way happens, or don’t. It’s great to have goals (I have mine) but you can’t build your whole career around a very small percentage chance.

I went to maritime academy with a kid who’s uncle was a pilot who guaranteed him a job for years, well it never worked out. Funny that’s he only reason he went there, he had no interest in ever sailing on a license!

United States Coast Guard

[QUOTE=z-drive;157895]Even considering connections, becoming a pilot is never guaranteed. Lots of guys with connections bust their ass for years and never get a shot, or don’t make it. That’s like planning to be in the NFL because your father’s friend was in the NFL. You need to kick ass in high school football, college, and then still be in the minority of chosen ones who actually make it, nevermind make a whole career out of it.

Either focus on the above options for a career in the merchant marine and associated industries in whatever way happens, or don’t. It’s great to have goals (I have mine) but you can’t build your whole career around a very small percentage chance.

I went to maritime academy with a kid who’s uncle was a pilot who guaranteed him a job for years, well it never worked out. Funny that’s he only reason he went there, he had no interest in ever sailing on a license![/QUOTE]

You know, this is a really good shout here. Depending on the pilot association it could be many years before one would even take him in. In the meantime he’d have to be sailing on his license, starting from third mate and slowly working up the ladder. Sure, there are guys out there who, from day one, want to be a pilot and every career move they make is geared toward that end. It might be worth asking your contact there how he became a pilot, and how the other guys in his association became pilots. Some associations prefer guys who have experience as ship captains, some prefer guys who come up from the tugboats, that sort of thing.

z-drive/awulfclark -

Sorry of I gave the impression that he has a myriad of “connections” in the industry; he doesn’t. All he has is a few men at church - one of which is in the MM industry, another in the Coast guard - who have taken an interest in him and are encouraging him to check into their respective professions. He is taking advantage of these contacts, but I feel pretty confident he realizes that the best these contacts can do for him is direct him to the right people to talk to at this point. He has been brought up to know he will definitely need to bust his ass for many years and then nothing is guaranteed regardless of the career path he takes.

I do want him to be realistic and get knowledgeable about typical/most likely career progressions in whatever arena he is considering.

Hawspiper5… Your feedback duly noted. Thanks.

lone_Star…thanks for vid