Cutter Sycamore vs. barge

Any thoughts on what might have gone wrong? The flood can rip thru there (at least up by the city dock). Maybe a late turn to the Aml dock with a strong flood running?

Sometimes it helps to switch off the auto pilot when going to maneuver…

Knowing what you are doing helps too

[QUOTE=“Traitor Yankee;115970”]

Knowing what you are doing helps too[/QUOTE]

I am praying they were not on DP when this happened.

I used to love teaching the youngsters but always made sure I could get out of what they got me into.

U know who u r…

Any Links?

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;115991]Any Links?[/QUOTE]

The CG is calling it an allision and the newspaper reports the cutter was moored so, based on the minimal information available, for a change, it’s kind of hard to blame the CG.

http://coastguardnews.com/coast-guard-cutter-sycamore-damaged-in-barge-allision-in-cordova-alaska/2013/07/28/

Sound’s like a barge hit someone moored. Damn tug guys…

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;115993]Sound’s like a barge hit someone moored. Damn tug guys…[/QUOTE]

Poor tug guys … it’s like backing up into a police car.

[QUOTE=“Steamer;115995”]

Poor tug guys … it’s like backing up into a police car.[/QUOTE]

There but for the grace of God go I.

The one time I open my mouth…

CGC SYCAMORE was moored when she was hit.

The Anchorage Daily News is reporting that the NTSB will investigate the allision.

CORDOVA – The National Transportation Safety Board will investigate after a barge hit a moored Coast Guard cutter.

The NTSB says in a release that the accident happened Sunday in the Cordova harbor when the tug Krystal Sea was moving its attached barge, the Cordova Provider…

[QUOTE=renoun;116040]The Anchorage Daily News is reporting that the NTSB will investigate the allision.[/QUOTE]

Oh, an oil company with ex-CG admirals in charge of their marine ops lets a drillship drift aground, approves a whackjob towing scheme with an unproven tug that loses power for mysterious reasons and loses a drill rig that ends up on the rocks and the NTSB isn’t interested but when a CG cutter gets a bent bulwark they send in the cavalry.

WTF is going on?

[QUOTE=Steamer;116046]Oh, an oil company with ex-CG admirals in charge of their marine ops lets a drillship drift aground, approves a whackjob towing scheme with an unproven tug that loses power for mysterious reasons and loses a drill rig that ends up on the rocks and the NTSB isn’t interested but when a CG cutter gets a bent bulwark they send in the cavalry.

WTF is going on?[/QUOTE]

Buddy Custard was not an ex admiral there Steamer and thank God for that! can you imagine how much more ridiculous the clown circus would have been last year if it was an ex USCG Admiral at the helm?

[QUOTE=c.captain;116049]Buddy Custard was not an ex admiral there Steamer and thank God for that! [/QUOTE]

I stand corrected, thank you.

Let me rephrase that: [I]An oil company peppered and polluted with ex-admirals and retread coasties …[/I]

Do you think that because none of the gilded gang can be blamed, the NTSB feels it is safe to investigate this one?

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me!

Wheres a banging-head-against-wall emoticon when you need one…

[QUOTE=rshrew;116082]Pretty ridiculous if you ask me![/QUOTE]

Which bit? The NTSB taking an interest in a fender bender or the NTSB ignoring the stuff that really ought to be investigated thoroughly?

Ignoring stuff of course!

[QUOTE=rshrew;116105]Ignoring stuff of course![/QUOTE]

That’s what I hoped you meant.

They are pretty safe sticking to second guessing a poor tugboater … not much risk to their budget or retirement looking at them.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=commtuna;116101]Wheres a banging-head-against-wall emoticon when you need one…[/QUOTE]

I guess they figure we would wear it out if it were one of the choices … I tried to paste one but it won’t stick.