Coast Guard vessel, boat collide

Thanks Richard Hiscock of offsoundings.com
[B]Coast Guard vessel, boat collide[/B]

Staff report
   Sunday, December 6, 2009
   A 25-foot Coast Guard boat and a commercial catamaran collided in        Charleston Harbor on Saturday night. 
   Three people from the catamaran Thriller were reported injured,        according to the Coast Guard. The extent of their injuries was not known.        
   A 41-foot Coast Guard utility boat crew from Station Charleston        evacuated the 24 passengers aboard Thriller and transported them to        Charleston Harbor Marina to await emergency medical personnel. 
   "The Coast Guard's primary concern right now is the condition of the        passengers who were injured in the incident," Capt. Michael F. McAllister,        commander, Coast Guard Sector Charleston, said in a news release. 
   The Coast Guard vessel sustained no damage, and Thriller sustained        moderate above-the-water-line damage, according to the Coast Guard. 
   Conditions at the time of the incident were clear, with winds at 10 mph        to 15 mph. 
   The collision is under investigation. 

Copyright © 1995 - 2009 Evening Post Publishing    Co..

What was the BMI of the Coast Guard crew?

"The Coast Guard’s primary concern right now is the condition of the passengers who were injured in the incident,"
What about why the coast guard boat allowed the incident to happen. It takes two to tangle. Maybe they need STCW training.

Just saw video on the local Sunday night Charleston TV News. Video shows damage on the starboard side of the Thriller, just abaft the beam. Crunched fiberglass above the waterline. Interior video of the Thriller shows a couple of passenger seats dislodged. I thnk the news guy said 3 or 4 Thriller passengers were still in the hospital.

That’s not the first time the Coast Guard has collided with another boat. They had one in Florida where after hitting the boat the two crew members where thrown overboard and the boat circled around and hit the other boat two more times.

Abstract: This report discusses the collision that occurred on the evening of January 12, 2002, between the
U.S. Coast Guard patrol boat CG242513, which was on a routine patrol of Biscayne Bay, Florida, and the
small passenger vessel Bayside Blaster, which was on a sightseeing tour of the area. The accident resulted
in no deaths or serious injuries. However, both Coast Guard crewmembers and 2 of the Bayside Blaster’s
passengers were taken to a hospital for examination. Damages to the patrol boat (which was a total loss),
the Bayside Blaster, and a moored recreational boat totaled $184,722.

As a former operator of a couple of the Yank Marine “Rocket” or “Beast” boats, [U][I]and[/I][/U] a former USCG Coxswain . . I’ll just add that things can happen really quick when everyone is going 40kts . . :rolleyes:

I’ll be curious to hear the details of speed, actions, and stage of darkness.

NTSB ADVISORY

National Transportation Safety Board
Washington, DC 20594

December 7, 2009

NTSB LAUNCHES TEAM TO INVESTIGATE MARINE
ACCIDENT IN SOUTH CAROLINA

The National Transportation Safety Board has launched a go-team to
investigate Saturday’s marine accident in Charleston Harbor, Charleston,
South Carolina. NTSB senior marine investigator Thomas Roth-Roffy is
the Investigator-in-Charge and is leading the Safety Board’s investigation.
He is accompanied by two NTSB investigators.

On Saturday, December 5, at approximately 8:30 pm, a commercial
passenger vessel and a 25 foot Coast Guard patrol boat collided. There
were no fatalities.

[quote=Captain Electron!!;22307]As a former operator of a couple of the Yank Marine “Rocket” or “Beast” boats, [U][I]and[/I][/U] a former USCG Coxswain . . I’ll just add that things can happen really quick when everyone is going 40kts . . :rolleyes:

I’ll be curious to hear the details of speed, actions, and stage of darkness.[/quote]

I always enjoyed being at the opposite end of Elliot Bay from the “Rocket”.

. . and you know I always enjoyed running down there and waking your ass . . :smiley:

Wow!

I was picturing this…

… not this!

Yes I was often asleep.

From the Blog of the owner of the Thriller . .

“Saturday, we were struck by a Coast Guard boat during our sleigh ride. No one was seriously injured. Our boat, however, is not in good shape and needs to be repaired & recertified before we can operate again. We are working with the CG and NTSB to investigate the accident and can’t comment until it’s done. Mark and I …appreciate all the prayers and words of support we are receiving from our friends and fans.”

[quote=Mikey;22353]Wow!

I was picturing this…

… not this!

[/quote]

Yeah - It’s a SuperCat 55 with the surface drives . . She’s actually only about a 40 knot boat, as she only has about 900hp in her . .

John Yank built a couple of Monohulls with 2) Johnson / Towers built 16V-149’s in them which would do 75 knots fully loaded with 149 POB.

They found them to actually be too fast, as passengers were suffering shock injuries from the motion, as well as really inefficient when fuel prices went up . .

These new cats are powered wtih a couple of Yanmars or something similar, and are actually quite efficient and really quiet . .