Current Hiring in US GOM

Beyond asinine. Eventually people will say ENOUGH and things will change temporarily. In the GOM the plantation mentally persists

3 Likes

ECO has a runner that makes two trips a day to the airport, bring crew to MSY and pick them up, I drive past the airport and don’t mind dropping off a crew member or picking one up on my way to the office

1 Like

That helps too. You get on a steady boat and can manage to catch a ride with someone driving past the airport.

The company I worked for down there did away with renting cars for guys because of the liability. I think it was after a night shift guy fell asleep at the wheel after a late crew change.

Frankly I’m surprised no one has created an independent bus service with regular scheduled runs from MSY area to Houma and Fourchon. Seems like a business opportunity (if not a public transit opportunity).

3 Likes

The majority of my time in the GoM my office was in Amelia & the company had vans that left twice a day to MYS. I remember paying hefty taxi & shuttles fees a few times to go directly to MYS just to skip the office & get away from my fellow boat trash. Even though I had the free option, I thoght it was money worth spending. Since pay is up to 4 digits again for some licenses & jobs are plentiful I’m sure some mariners are fine with the Uber prices if it gets them to the airport bar faster. If the Uber or taxi lets you drink in their car its even better.

BTW, I just checked Uber. Right now for 4 people MYS to Port Fourchon is $130.00. Fourchon to MYS for 4 people is $115.00. I wouldn’t mind paying that to skip a bayou office, especially if I had a good crewmember or 2 to split it with. Taxis were more than that 15 yrs ago.

And that’s another part of the equation on keeping travel costs down. Get on a steady boat with the right people, it’s doable.

1 Like

When I looked it up on the Uber app, it was a 5 minute wait in Port Fourchon. I guess with all the activity Ubers are pretty busy down there?

Not if you are a female hawsepipe engineer that isn’t someone’s daughter or girlfriend.

Not if you are not in the good ole boy club. And there is only “one” way to get into the “club” if you are a not a BOY

They should just take away the license system completely there.

No more Mercant Mariner Credential but Chouest Mariner Credential. Nothing to do with sea team all to do with which movies you like to watch in the control room :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last time I was working down there I met some Uber/Lyft drivers that would give you personal cards with their contact info. Call them direct when you need a ride, they didn’t have a problem with driving down there. They may not be available when you call though. I’ve heard from other folks that some drivers have an issue with going down there and not having a return fare. So I guess if you had all your ducks in a row and your relief needed a ride to the airport that would work too.

I wouldn’t trust those ETAs they give you. Many a time and not just in south louisiana for work I’ve been burned by those.

I can troll forever I have the rest of my life to think about how they ruined mine, my finances and gave me PTSD!!!

Chief pay for good chiefs is $1,200/day x 28 days = $33,600/month x 6 months = 201,600 x 8 years =$1,612,800

Or regular chief pay

$1,000 x 28 = $28,000 x 6 months =168,000 x 8 years = =$1,344,000

That’s for equal time

I calculated wrong they actually owe me more than $1,200,000

I lowballed myself again

How much money does the government give them to pretend they employ and advance people like me?

Inquiring minds wants to know.

While doing that quick Uber research, numbers starting crunching & wheels turning in my head. Instead of being an oiler or OS for $250 a day it wouldn’t be a bad gig to run a car to Fourchon once a day if you could line up round trip fares & only wanted to work 3-4 days a week. Becoming friends with dispatchers or crewboat mariners who knew when loaded crewboats were coming in could be profitable as well. It’s not for me but I’m sure someone is doing it. Seems like it’s a lot easier with logistics down there now.

2 Likes

Likely the only reason they stayed afloat during the downturn and were able to feed themselves at all is because of the government contracts.

:joy: yea the same ones where they promise to comply with affirmative action for women and minorities.

I work with 5 shipmates from the northeast, they fly in to New Orleans, they fly home from New Orleans. Never heard of them paying $200 to get back and forth from the airport.

1 Like

Ballpark figures. Most everyone is paying ABs and QMEDs with all the stcw bells and whistles anywhere from mid 300s to low 400s a day. 100 ton-200 ton captains can find low 300s to mid 400s depending on experience.

3rd/2nd mates anywhere from low 500s to high 600s depending on experience w/dp

3rd/2nd engineers anywhere from low 500s to high 700s depending on experience

Chief Mates/1st assistants low 800s to mid 900s

Master/Cheng 900-1000+.

This is based on who I know and talk to. I’m sure mileage will vary but this is a good ballpark of ranges.

Edit: I’ll also add that a company running a smaller fleet with older vessels working the shelf most likely isn’t paying these wages. I’m referring to companies with the bigger and newer equipment working deep water.

1 Like

Who do they work for? We were only talking about Hornbeck’s policy or lack thereof regarding crew changes.

What’s the schedule?

Most common ones are 28/14 and 28/28. There’s also some 14/14, 21/21, 42/21. Varies on the company and client requirements.

What is the door knocking process for HOS? The Covington Office?