Cult of the Quaint

[QUOTE=ombugge;188916]3 gyros are required for DP 2 / 3 Class, never mind if they are PSVs or any other type of vessels.
If so, Magnetic Compass is not REQUIRED, but many have one anyhow. They also carry Deviation Curve and Compass Error Book. (Not always up to date)
Most I have seen also have a Magnaflux Compass + GPS Compass, just in case.[/QUOTE]

And who builds a new PSV today that is not at least DP2? That was why it was weird to see a new build Tiderwater vessel with a magnetic compass.

[QUOTE=Kraken;188921]And who builds a new PSV today that is not at least DP2? That was why it was weird to see a new build Tiderwater vessel with a magnetic compass.[/QUOTE]

I too have problems logging in.

The USCG requires a magnetic compass with deviation card on virtually all vessels. Vessels over a certain size are required to keep a compass error log.

Many smaller vessels have a sat compass instead of a gyro. Much cheaper at $4000 to buy and maintain than a gyro which is $20,000 and up. No moving parts or maintenance on a sat compass.

I sometimes sail on boats that only have a magnetic compass. Sometimes they also have an old gyro that has not worked for years. You can always make port with a magnetic compass.

While a DP PSV would not be able to work on DP without a gyro, it could make port on a magnetic compass.

20% of the machine shop work: Cutting valve faces, brass plugs for heat exchangers, center drill zincs for tapping, taking off a tiny bit of material/cleaning up a shaft.

80% of the machine shop work: Personal projects, playing with the welder.

One critical thing missing about celestial…knowing the stars impresses the chicks. What is that worth? Priceless, I say.

If that’s all the game you got…

[QUOTE=Flyer69;188987]If that’s all the game you got…[/QUOTE]

I hope not but sometimes you gotta use whatever game works at the time. If it helps put me over the top and on top, I will certainly use it.

A tug at sea isn’t stable enough to get a good star fix anyway. Too much rocking & rolling.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;188987]If that’s all the game you got…[/QUOTE]

Think about how embarrassing it would be to have to admit to chicks from yachts that can do celestial, that you, a professional commercial mariner, cannot do celestial.

Celestial is difficult on small boats and a lot more sights do not work out. Remember that Shackleton did in a small boat in rough weather with snow. And with incredible accuracy to find a small island group in the middle of the South Atlantic 800 miles away.

…is taking celestial shots commonly done aboard yachts? Other than just people goofing around with a sextant to tell stories back at the yacht club?

[QUOTE=Slick Cam;188996]…is taking celestial shots commonly done aboard yachts? Other than just people goofing around with a sextant to tell stories back at the yacht club?[/QUOTE]

Much more common on yachts than on ships. A reliable electrical supply is a real concern on a cruising yacht. Dismastings and loss of antennas are not common, but do happen a bit too often. Lightning strikes happen far too often and a are major concern. Repairs and replacements can be very difficult to get in remote places. Many cruising yachtsmen can do celestial.

Some yacht races may not allow the use of gps.

There is intrinsic value in learning celestial, even if it’s never used.

To be sure, for many yachtsmen it is a point of pride that they are serious offshore sailors who can navigate by the stars.

I’ve met cute salty chicks from sail training programs that are very good celestial and terrestrial navigators. Some of them also teach it. Did I mention that they are really good?

Drink at the waterfront bars in Newport, Rhode Island and you can find sailors that can do celestial.

Maybe we professional mariners could learn something from cruising yachtsmen and the sail training sailors?

Must be a west coast thing. The boys round here couldn’t shoot a 3 star fix if their Sperry Gold Cup’s depended on it.

Using a sun azimuth/amplitude for gyro error still comes in handy from time to time.

[QUOTE=RespectMyAuthority;188974]One critical thing missing about celestial…knowing the stars impresses the chicks. What is that worth? Priceless, I say.[/QUOTE]

All I gotta do is say “Sirius” and panties are hitting the floor. . . .

I won’t be embarrassed. Numerous New England to Caribbean deliveries and a transatlantic under sail using celestial.

If mariners want to stay sharp on celestial for what ever reason that’s good as long as they are getting their regualr work done and standing a proper watch . I just don’ t think the argument that the crews need to stay sharp on celestial in case GPS goes out stands up on a cost/benefit point of view.

I’m confident I could hack out an acceptable celestial plot if need be but I am also confident that I could safely DR to a postion where other methods could be used.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;188993]

Celestial is difficult on small boats and a lot more sights do not work out. Remember that Shackleton did in a small boat in rough weather with snow. And with incredible accuracy to find a small island group in the middle of the South Atlantic 800 miles away.[/QUOTE]

Credit where credit’s due, it was Endurance’s captain, Worsley that navigated the James Caird

[QUOTE=Flyer69;189075]I won’t be embarrassed. Numerous New England to Caribbean deliveries and a transatlantic under sail using celestial.[/QUOTE]

We have a real sailor here. Get out of the way, the salty chicks are his.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;189081]Credit where credit’s due, it was Endurance’s captain, Worsley that navigated the James Caird[/QUOTE]

Yes. Frank Worsley. But if I’d said Worsley instead of Shackleton most of the audience would have gone — huh? Who dat?

[QUOTE=cmakin;189066]All I gotta do is say “Sirius” and panties are hitting the floor. . . .[/QUOTE]

Ya gotta be careful. I said “Capella” once and I got a slap in the face.

You can have the salty chicks. They don’t shave.

Noon postion by Arthur Piver? using HO 249 any body else navigated using this method