Celestial Navigation God?

I was talking to a 3rd mate lady working the deck and I don’t know they guys name but he taught at Texas A&M I think and everyone knew him as a god but he just passed away. In any case i guess he wrote a book that was really good on Celestial Navigation and it is out of print. I am trying to find that book or someone that has it so i can scan it mail it back. I just don’t know the name of it. I lost my job so i will never talk to her again anyone know who i am talking about?

There is only one god - HAP. (Ask a Ft. Schuyler type if you’re confused)

2 Likes

McKoy was pretty good at celestial too.

And BS is the anti-christ.

A little off topic, I’ll admit.

The “God” of Celestial? Well, I donno if he was a God, but certainly a “patron saint” of navigators:
He was, Christopher Columbus. Why?

Well, when he started off, he didn’t know where he was going. When he got there, he didn’t know where he was. When he got back, he didn’t know where he’d been. Not only that, but he did it with borrowed money AND HE WAS SHAGGING THE QUEEN!!

Yeah, it would be PC inappropriate in today’s world, but back then? ? ? Truly “God” like!!! LOL

4 Likes

So, he was a management consultant?

4 Likes

So does anyone know who the guy was? I would really try to find this book he wrote.

I didn’t go to A&M but sailed briefly with a gentleman named Hymie Bourgeuois who had been Master of the training ship as well as taught celestial at the academy. He had grown bored with retirement so grabbed a third mate job off the board and was one of the nicest people I’ve ever met and a crackerjack to boot. This was 15 years ago, but he sounds like who you’re looking for. If he has indeed passed away, I am sorry to hear that. Great guy.

2 Likes

Yes it was Bourgeuois. His book was just a simple plastic binding book like the tide tables used for USCG exams. We used it a little bit but it was something you could get from the bookstore at TAMUG. Was not available online or on amazon.

I have a copy of his celestial navigation book and basic navigation. You might have some luck if you contact the TAMUG book store. Nothing on their website.

I will see if I can get the books scanned into a PDF on this website.

That was definitely Heimi Bourgeois and yes he was considered a legend at A&M. I have his books and they were the primary source textbooks in our nav classes.

Super nice guy and a nav guru. His written explanations of nav problems were elegant, simple, and easy to understand for anyone.