Cuba to Install LNG Regas facility? Then what?

We posted the following article yesterday: Cuba to Move Ahead with LNG Regasification Project

But what’s curious to note is that the supply part of the equation wasn’t discussed by Bloomberg.

Where is Cuba going to get LNG from though? PDVSA doesn’t have an LNG liquefaction plant, and there are no plants in the area that will likely have the ability to sell to Cuba.

Anyone have insight on this announcement?

[QUOTE=rob;136661]We posted the following article yesterday: Cuba to Move Ahead with LNG Regasification Project

But what’s curious to note is that the supply part of the equation wasn’t discussed by Bloomberg.

Where is Cuba going to get LNG from though? PDVSA doesn’t have an LNG liquefaction plant, and there are no plants in the area that will likely have the ability to sell to Cuba.

Anyone have insight on this announcement?[/QUOTE]

I just hope the LNG doesn’t end up coming from us. Actually, I hope it doesn’t come from anyone, but least of all us… We don’t seem to take this “no relations” thing seriously anymore but you know who does? The people who’s families have been murdered and tortured by the Castro family since they’ve been in power for the last half century or more. The people (if you can call them that) who are calling the shots in Cuba TODAY are the SAME PEOPLE who were calling the shots in Cuba when they were dragging people out of their homes and shooting them in the streets. Cuba’s quaint little palm trees and sandy beaches make us so easily forget the horrors that have transpired and that disgusts me. I hope this LNG project bankrupts the country and brings them to their knees. Then maybe we’ll be lucky enough to see the lifeless bodies of the Castro family being dragged through the streets like they deserve.

Is it not time that USA removes the boycott? The Cold War ended 23 years ago.

[QUOTE=Kraken;136664]Is it not time that USA removes the boycott? The Cold War ended 23 years ago.[/QUOTE]

When the Castros are dead, when their regime has fallen, when democracy reigns in Cuba again, and when justice has been done for the families of the thousands of victims, only THEN will it be time to remove the boycott.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;136666]when democracy reigns in Cuba again[/QUOTE]

Again? When did Cuba have democracy?

[QUOTE=rob;136661]Where is Cuba going to get LNG from though?[/QUOTE]

Yamal LNG should be producing by 2016…

[QUOTE=Kraken;136669]Again? When did Cuba have democracy?[/QUOTE]

Cuba had three peaceful democratic elections in 1940, 1944 and 1948. The downward spiral began when President Batista (who won in '40) was expected to win by a small margin in '52 so he held a bloodLESS coup to solidify his power more confidently than in a shaky election. It was after this that Fidel Castro seized the opportunity to overthrow the old-guard in very bloodY coup and torture the Cuban people for the next 60 (and then some) years. I’m not saying what Batista did in '52 was right, in fact he was very, very wrong, but the fact is that the Cuban constitution worked and the people were happy for 12 years before some asshole screwed it all up only to have rapists and murderers end up running the place.

Now, I know you’re Norwegian and don’t think too much of the United States so I’m just going to tell you now that I refuse to engage in a debate with you how American politicians are just as bad. We have it pretty good here in the United States and whatever you might think of us, our politicians don’t drag us out of our homes in the middle of the night and shoot us in front of our families because we hold opinions that are contrary to the government. Cuba does that. Not the United States.

let’s agree that we disagree, and that we obviously do not read the same history books. And American politics I do not care about as long as it is domestic.

[QUOTE=rob;136661]We posted the following article yesterday: Cuba to Move Ahead with LNG Regasification Project

Anyone have insight on this announcement?[/QUOTE]

From a 2010 article:

A LNG re-gasification facility to receive Venezuelan-sourced LNG is currently being planned for the southern coast port city of Cienfuegos by CuvenPetrol, a joint venture between Venezuela’s PdVSA (51%) and Cuba’s Cupet (49%). Two 1-million-ton re-gasification trains are planned for 2012 at a cost of over $400 million. The natural gas is destined as fuel for that city’s thermoelectric power plant, and as a feedstock (hydrogen) for the Cienfuegos refinery and future petrochemical/fertilizer plants.

It is estimated that Venezuela has 176 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of proven natural gas reserves the second largest in the Western hemisphere behind the United States. Venezuela’s PdVSA plans to build three liquefaction trains at the Gran Mariscal de Ayacucho natural gas complex in Guiria. The project would source gas from the Plataforma Deltana and Mariscal Sucre natural gas projects. Total investment in the three projects could approach $20 billion, with first exports by 2013.

Atlantic Basin LNG exporters such as Trinidad and Tobago (the only country in Latin America with liquefaction facilities), Nigeria, Equatorial Guinea, Algeria and possibly Angola could supply Cuba with LNG if Venezuela’s supplies are not available at the time of the completion of the Cienfuegos facility.

http://www.cubastandard.com/2010/10/29/liquid-natural-gas-is-key-to-cubas-energy-plans/

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;136666]When the Castros are dead, when their regime has fallen, when democracy reigns in Cuba again, and when justice has been done for the families of the thousands of victims, only THEN will it be time to remove the boycott.[/QUOTE]

The fastest way to bring down the geriatric Castro regime, free the Cuban people, and allow democracy to flourish is for the US to normalize relations and resume trade and tourism at full throttle.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;136684]The fastest way to bring down the geriatric Castro regime, free the Cuban people, and allow democracy to flourish is for the US to normalize relations and resume trade and tourism at full throttle.[/QUOTE]

Yes, good model, the influx of first world cash is working well for the people of Nigeria too. As much as I love capitalism, even I know that some things need to be solved by fire and brimstone before they can be solved by cash.

They tried that method with Executive Outcomes, back in the 90s. The world governments freaked out and shut them down.

Cuba would have evolved long ago were it not for a small group in the USA. The USA won’t trade with Cuba but has no problem trading trillions with that bastion of democracy called China? The Chinese murdered infants there just a few years ago to control population and they are far removed from any form of democracy. Cuba trades and is influenced by most other countries in the world with the exception of the USA and the Cuban system will inevitably evolve though not as fast as it would due to the USA playing right into the Castro regime’s propaganda by insisting on being the bogeyman.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;136672]

Now, I know you’re Norwegian … our politicians don’t drag us out of our homes in the middle of the night and shoot us in front of our families because we hold opinions that are contrary to the government. Cuba does that. Not the United States.[/QUOTE]

They don’t? Darn, I heard Obama has been doing that for years. Yeah. I saw it on TV. AND the Internet. So I know it is true.

And you know those funny little marks on the back of street signs… directions for the UN troops to follow when they herd everyone into the camps.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;136698]Yes, good model, the influx of first world cash is working well for the people of Nigeria too. As much as I love capitalism, even I know that some things need to be solved by fire and brimstone before they can be solved by cash.[/QUOTE]

You might want to read up a little on Batista. He was an evil sob.

It would be hard to find two countries as totally different from each other as Nigeria and Cuba. Absolutely nothing in common. Very fortunately, that cesspool of illiterate tribal conflict is a lot more than 90 miles from the US.