Crossing-the-Line

Tell us your best stories about your induction into the order of Trusty Shellbacks… also, please tell us if you’ve been prohibited from participating in this tradition, we’d like to know that as well

I’m a Golden Shellback, having crossed at the equator and the International Date Line simultaneously. August 2009. It was a non-event, except to me, as the people I was with simply could have cared less as they were fishing and they were a-holes to boot. But I held a private celebration and I gave myself a Golden Shellback certificate which hangs on my office wall to this day.

My first crossing was also a non-event, as I hadn’t even heard of a shellback at the time.

In 1972 I was crewing on sailboats in the Pacific, and we crossed the equator on a voyage from Costa Rica to the Galapagos Islands. Ended up sailing as far as Tahiti, and worked my way back on a Finnish freighter of the Gustaf Erikson Line.

My second crossing was on that freighter as we headed to the Panama Canal. I spent the day chipping rust, and ended the day with a sauna.

Interesting thing about the Gustaf Erikson Line is that it ran windjammers in the wheat trade from Australia to Great Britian until the late 1940’s.

Interesting thing about the Gustaf Erikson Line is that it ran windjammers in the wheat trade from Australia to Great Britian until the late 1940’s.

Indeed…Captain Erikson of Mariehamn, in the Aaland Islands in the Baltic was the true end of the line for deepsea squarerigged sail and a fascinating man to read about. You are indeed fortunate to have had your experience even if it wasn’t spend behind the mast.

What a story and what a fleet. Yes, the life of a seaman under sail was brutal but the ships were incredible.

The HERZOGIN CECILIE has always been a favorite of mine and one of Erikson’s ships. Alan Villierswrote about his time in her in “Falmouth for Orders”. I cannot recomment more highly that anyone who works ships at sea read anything by him.

Regarding “Crossing the Line” ceremonies…they’re great if there’s grog for all but stupid if everyone has to be sober. Still some have fun with such nonsense even if getting shaved by the “Royal Barber” has to be done dry.

Živjeli!

Crossed it twice within a week and I was asleep for both of them. But I did what Doug did an ordered myself the cert! Thank you Tiffany Publishing!

[QUOTE=c.captain;64500]Indeed…Captain Erikson of Mariehamn, in the Aaland Islands in the Baltic was the true end of the line for deepsea squarerigged sail and a fascinating man to read about. You are indeed fortunate to have had your experience even if it wasn’t spend behind the mast.

What a story and what a fleet. Yes, the life of a seaman under sail was brutal but the ships were incredible.

The HERZOGIN CECILIE has always been a favorite of mine and one of Erikson’s ships. Alan Villierswrote about his time in her in “Falmouth for Orders”. I cannot recomment more highly that anyone who works ships at sea read anything by him.

Regarding “Crossing the Line” ceremonies…they’re great if there’s grog for all but stupid if everyone has to be sober. Still some have fun with such nonsense even if getting shaved by the “Royal Barber” has to be done dry.

Živjeli![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the post! Aaland is on my bucket list. I’ve always been facinated by the place after that trip.

And thanks for mentioning that author.

Cheers!