Crew boat gets stuck in platform

Someone was hungry? Good movie on in the galley? Maybe snap chat

[QUOTE=rkbakula;141996]Does anyone know the story behind this incident? the office sent a email about the wheelhouse possibly being unintended while they were underway.[/QUOTE]

If the wheelhouse was ā€œunintendedā€ I can see how that would be a problem. Imagine trying to drive a boat with a wheelhouse that wasnā€™t supposed to be there, would make things tough. (Sarcasm off)

Also, if your office sent an email saying the accident was attributed to the wheelhouse being ā€œunattendedā€ then Iā€™m not sure what else youā€™re looking for. You answered your question.

Wheelhouse manned but asleep due to hours workedā€¦they call that a managment assisted crash

Is this what they are referring to when they ask if you have had any Gulf of Mexico experience?

I think this thread should be moved and incorporated into the unmanned ship concept discussion.

For whst itā€™s worth: A friend and former shipmates who works for that particular company and served as relief on that vessel the week prior to the accident told me ā€¦ captain had the vessel on autopilot, left the wheelhouse with a new unlicensed deckhand on lookout. Deckhand saw the platform, but did not know how to disengage autopilot and apparently did not have the presence of mind to pull the engines out of gear. Hit the platform at about 21 kts. The engineer, asleep at the time, was injured badly enough that he was hospitalized for a brief period.

The offending operator allegedly is from the northeast, a former commercial fisherman.

With the pixs displayed of the damage it is hard to believe that crew boat hit anything faster than 7 MPH. I can buy the nobody on the bridge, but only that the boat DRIFTED under the platform and the wave action did that damage.

We were tied up and a crew boat came along side to tie up to us. They BARELY hit us with there bow and it cause their bow rail to encave 8". Our boat never even moved or lost paint, just a smear. We have all seen the pixs of a crew boat hitting a platform and T-boning another boat. The boat is usually 15-20ā€™ shorter when it comes back into Fourchon.

Lots of companies have bans on auto pilots and this is why
Does that mean the captain plotted a course through a plaformā€¦
I worked with a guy that plotted a tow for us through japan, but we checked it first, mind you I was looking forward to the shore time

How about banning guys who donā€™t know what keeping a proper lookout means.

1 Like

[QUOTE=Flyer69;142220]How about banning guys who donā€™t know what keeping a proper lookout means.[/QUOTE]
Iā€™ll bet the lookout could see the platform, I wonder if the standing orders said what do?
There is a great case of this on 2 container ships that hit each other on the ukā€™s maib web site.
Both lookouts in court said they watched each other right up to to the crash, but were not told to say anything if they did see anything. They just followed the ordersā€¦

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Flyer69;142220]How about banning guys who donā€™t know what keeping a proper lookout means.[/QUOTE]
Iā€™ll bet the lookout could see the platform, I wonder if the standing orders said what do?
There is a great case of this on 2 container ships that hit each other on the ukā€™s maib web site.
Both lookouts in court said they watched each other right up to to the crash, but were not told to say anything if they did see anything. They just followed the ordersā€¦

What a scuttlebutt.

Havenā€™t figured out how to quote and post. LOL!!