Crawfish

If I grab a sack of crawfish when I get off the boat and throw some ice on it and put it in a sealed cooler will they be fine when I get home? I live in Orlando and be cooking them about 24 hours after I get off the boat. They will be in the car with me for about 11 hours on the way home from the bayou.

[QUOTE=bcoogan23;160737]If I grab a sack of crawfish when I get off the boat and throw some ice on it and put it in a sealed cooler will they be fine when I get home? I live in Orlando and be cooking them about 24 hours after I get off the boat. They will be in the car with me for about 11 hours on the way home from the bayou.[/QUOTE]

they gonna be kept live in iced water or you gonna just throw ice on them?

if they die before you cook em you’ll be sorry

now, can we get back to the cartoon?

Sure if you stop along the way and pick up another bag of ice. Should be just fine

• Updated - - -

Oh these are alive never mind…

They are gonna be in a big cooler with a big of ice on them, half way home in gonna drain any water (from melted ice) and throw fresh ice on them. I’ve booked crawfish a million times I’m just worried about keeping them in an air sealed cooler for that long

• Updated - - -

Our heating and air contactor came and did some work for us last hitch while we were in shipyard and brought us a couple sacks for FREE (from his brother’s seasfood shop) and ate with us and it was a Sunday (so we only worked half a day!) And the final round of the Masters was on, it was a pretty kick ass day!!

So I’m gonna go by and give his brother some business when I get off. They even make their own boiling seasoning and package it for sale, its ridiculously good. I’ll give you the name of it when I go by there.

Don’t close the lid completely and they won’t even need ice. Put a damp towel over the top of them and cut them out of the sack.

[QUOTE=coldduck;160747]Don’t close the lid completely and they won’t even need ice. Put a damp towel over the top of them and cut them out of the sack.[/QUOTE]

Well I’m driving my wife’s pretty and shiny Volvo so I gotta close the lid because can’t bring it home stinking like crawfish haha

If you close the lid all the way they will die. Pour the ice on them. Leave a crack in the lid so they can get air.

Ah damn, I guess I’ll buy some air fresheners then. I knew they wouldn’t do too good with the lid closed for long but I planned on pulling over and airing it out every once in a while

Put something like a wet pillow case on top of them and put the ice, out of the bag, on top of that. Should get you there. Just remember to drain that water ever so often.

[QUOTE=Redman;160754]Put something like a wet pillow case on top of them and put the ice, out of the bag, on top of that. Should get you there. Just remember to drain that water ever so often.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, I was grab a old towel from the boat and a bag of ice

Just don’t use dry ice to keep them cool. . . . almost lost a couple of guys that I work with. . . . worst of all, one of them used to sail as an engineer. . . was a Calhoun grad. . . oh, never mind. . .

I’m not from south of I-10 but I hear this is the best way to keep them alive. I have also hear a wet burlap sack works as well.

[QUOTE=bcoogan23;160748]Well I’m driving my wife’s pretty and shiny Volvo so I gotta close the lid because can’t bring it home stinking like crawfish haha[/QUOTE]

you crew change with a nice Volvo? what’s the matter with you? you gotta be driving an F-350 Powerstroke Harley edition dually to be seen as a real GoM mariner…either that or a beat up 1979 Chevy 1/2 ton all rusted out

[QUOTE=c.captain;160797]you crew change with a nice Volvo? what’s the matter with you? you gotta be driving an F-350 Powerstroke Harley edition dually to be seen as a real GoM mariner…either that or a beat up 1979 Chevy 1/2 ton all rusted out[/QUOTE]

Yup, its all about comfort on my 700 mile drive each way. Turbo, AWD, loaded out…you can’t beat it

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=cmakin;160776]Just don’t use dry ice to keep them cool. . . . almost lost a couple of guys that I work with. . . . worst of all, one of them used to sail as an engineer. . . was a Calhoun grad. . . oh, never mind. . .[/QUOTE]

I bet. The last time we got groceries we threw about 70 lbs of dry ice overboard and it bubbled violently for about 30 mins, that’s stuff crazy. I can only imagine…

Try leaving the cooler cracked open like previously mentioned. I heard (haven’t tried) putting a open box of baking soda works well just like in the fridge. Never tried taking live ones home but, I’ve taken 40+ lbs (already boiled) in the cooler and they were fine in the cooler for 36 hrs. Just bag them well and be sure you have plenty of ice.

Is there a way you can secure the cooler in the trunk, at least that way if you leave it open the inside of the car will stay fresh.

[QUOTE=c.captain;160797]you crew change with a nice Volvo? what’s the matter with you? you gotta be driving an F-350 Powerstroke Harley edition dually to be seen as a real GoM mariner…either that or a beat up 1979 Chevy 1/2 ton all rusted out[/QUOTE]
The f 350 was the 2014 truck and the 79 chev is now and the future…

"Is there a way you can secure the cooler in the trunk, at least that way if you leave it open the inside of the car will stay fresh."
Wedge something in the lid and tie it down by the handle’s. Not sure if there is enough air in the trunk though…

Y’all act like these things smell terrible???

If they sit they will haha