Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for Revalidating for The Nautical Institute DP Operator Certificate

its on the way, B is just a step before A

The disconnect is the schools teach the technology the companies should be teaching the operations as per their own standards and documents.
The poorly run vessel operators want the schools to teach everything including how to drive a boat.

You cant believe the long process just to get all the stakeholders to agree to get the DPO back into a classroom just once in 5 years.
Catching up on the DPO’s pre exam ( about 12,000) was my big win in the NI so that has now been included.
There is only one guy that has a foot in several camps ( vessel operator and a school plus more)on any NI committee, he has worked very hard to raise standards and insert common sense.
I have been involved since pre exam days from a DP vendors school.
Lots of what you read in the standards, exams, technical course etc I wrote.

The DPTEG group is the industry saving the DPO from the NI saying that the charterers have the big say like insurance for obvious reasons.

??? IFAIK from learning the alphabet many moons ago, B is a step behind A.
But maybe that is different down under, where everything is turned on it’s head?

1 Like

true
but thats how the IMO works, Part A mandatory, Part B guidance, its lets stuff get out there and changed if needed, then it moves to part A.

:+1: :+1:
are you on DP TEG?

no, its not a forum for schools.
so we have the;
NI
Schools -in RTP groups - some individuals on various NI committees
DPTEG - the industry who is at the receiving end of what the NI and schools do/create hence can request what is required.
Works till the NI goes off on a tangent without anyone knowing.

very interesting. thank you.

Go to a NI conference.
typically the DPTEG runs at the same time and if your lucky they will invite you to sit in.
You should be getting the minutes of all these meetings?

Not taking over per se, but adding standards for DP to the STCW. What was in the U.S. paper (HTW 9/7/3) was including the following in the periodic review and revision of STCW:
Revise the STCW Convention and section A of the STCW Code to include certification requirements for seafarers and personnel designated to carry out seafarer functions on ships with dynamic positioning (DP) systems. Personnel operating DP systems are currently addressed in section B-V/f of the STCW Code but should be included in the mandatory provisions of the STCW Convention and Code.

Section B of the STCW Code is guidance. The review was initiated at the meetings in February and as noted, will take several years before the revised Convention and Code are finalized.

It should be an endorsement on your license just like ecdis or any other.
The NMD ran like this but gave it up to allow the NI to run with it.

Would you put up with a non government organization issuing you your radar endorsement?
How about the DP interface standards are so lax ( like ECDIS) you need training on each type but the industry tries to pretend you dont right??.

1 Like

More reason to go to OSVDPA

2 Likes

Problem with that is that organization was invented for non classed DP vessels of any standard.
A problem that only exists in the USA

Needs to be a jump above that and I cant see that it will not end up in the hands of the flag states.
Problem solved.

I think this is going to be a long discussion, imca using the NI to milk 10,000+ DPO’s

2 Likes