Consequences

Question for Mr. Cavo or anyone else who has been down this road:

I filled out my USCG application and checked “No” to the question asking if I have ever used or been addicted to narcotics. But I lied. Way back when I used some cocaine and smoked some dope. It has been bothering me because I lied, and I feel that I need to come clean.

What are the possible consequences one could face for 'fessing up? I haven’t used drugs in decades, and never failed a drug test. I just don’t want to lie again when it comes time to renew.

Anyone else ever dealt with this?

Thank you.

Go to a Catholic church. They all have confessionals. Don’t ruin your career.

“I used some cocaine and smoked some dope” does not sound like being addicted. So unless you are understating here you are not lying in the first place.

[QUOTE=Repentant;36075]Question for Mr. Cavo or anyone else who has been down this road:

I filled out my USCG application and checked “No” to the question asking if I have ever used or been addicted to narcotics. But I lied. Way back when I used some cocaine and smoked some dope. It has been bothering me because I lied, and I feel that I need to come clean.

What are the possible consequences one could face for 'fessing up? I haven’t used drugs in decades, and never failed a drug test. I just don’t want to lie again when it comes time to renew.

Anyone else ever dealt with this?

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

To the Coast Guard - having lied (on a federal document) is worse that doing any drugs or alcohol in the 80’s. How can someone prove that they’re no longer a drug user, and no longer have a problem? Drug tests, Programs, etc… How do you convince someone that you’re no longer a lier? Your word? There are serious consequences that begin with voiding the application and any credentials as a result of the application. That is just a start. You do not want to go down that road, but if you must, start looking at shoreside employment now.

[QUOTE=Colin;36088]“I used some cocaine and smoked some dope” does not sound like being addicted. So unless you are understating here you are not lying in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Step one is comprehension. You have to read the question.

Just chalk it up to being “part of the game” Anchorman. I doubt there are more than a handful of mariners out there who havent indulged in some recreational chemistry at one time or another. I dont have a problem lying to the .gov seeing as how those bastards lie to me all the time. Also what I (or anyone else) may or may not have done years ago that has no bearing on their ability to function in the capacity required of their license rating is quite frankly none of the .gov’s business.

If you go back to correct this: Your application will be revoked, your documents will be suspended, you will have to appear before a ALJ (or at a minimum a local hearing board) and have your case heard. To get your documents back: You will in all likely hood have to attend AA/NA, have counseling, and be in a higher rate of random drug testing regimen.

In my case, sure I smoked dope. I answer NO, and since I was 18 I haven’t, don’t, and wont.

Am I not 'telling the truth"? probably, but I know that I am drug free, and not a problem. but in the whole scheme of things, I ain’t sweating it.

Would I ever say this in public? Do I discuss this with others? Is this something to be ashamed of? NO, NO, NO.

Truthfully, do you still? have you stopped? were you ever arrested for possession, or ui? if no, don’t sweat it. Just stay clean, and be thankful you ‘figured it out’.

Then again you could always claim: “I didn’t inhale”. that seems to work for some people!

Did you read Section VI- Certification and Oath on pg. 3 of the CG-719B ? You may want to re read the Certification, as well as the US criminal code at Title 18 USC 1001 it refers to while you “think this over”.

You should not have lied in the first place, as the “yes” answer [I]would not have[/I] disqualified you …

I hated having to check “yes” in section III, feeling that it didn’t represent who I really am…but I wasn’t going to risk my career by falsifying my application.

You may be best served to continue to answer subsequent applications the same as originally answered, unless you just cant live w/ it.

[QUOTE=TxKingfisher;36112]Just chalk it up to being “part of the game” Anchorman… [/QUOTE]

Hardly a game. Addiction is a specific medical condition. If on the other hand questiion had been “have you ever consumed narcotics” then it would be different.

[B]I would go ahead and come clean, can I have your job?[/B]

sound like THEMANOVERBOARD is back, “Repent” just joined the other day, read what he says, even clinton smoked a joint and he was president

why would someone join this board on june 12 and ask a stupid question??

maybe it is a plant from NMC:p:p:p

The CG application says “user of/addicted to”. I was a user of, never an addict. And no, I’m not themanoverboard. Just a guy who lied and is looking to make things right. I don’t need AA, I don’t have a drug problem. I think of what I’m asking as a risk analysis.

Thanks for all the opinions, especially stevefoster’s. Nice one.

Want my advice? Just /ignore it and go about your day. You ever take those 200 question Psych Exams to get employment and they ask you all that Stupid junk. If you gave truthful answers to those questions youd never make it through the employment process. Always best to just give the best answer.

My fav is, If you caught and Employee doing somehting dangerous would you

A. Tell him to stop
B. Adress the problem to your supervisor
C. Ignore the problem and go about your day.

The correct answer is B, so thats what Id answer but the truthful answer is C of course but thatd never get you a job now would it?

Its just common sense bro Take it or Leave it.

Jeez, it’s an app for your papers. not like your applying to work at NSA of CIA where they question everyone single person you ever met. So long as you don’t use now (and preferably, if I might work with you, years) and never flunked a test, get on with it.

What is the risk? Well you’ll find many guys who lied on an application and got away with it, they will tell you there is no risk. The problem comes when your vessel gets in a accident… whether it’s your fault or not the CG will investigate… if they find out you lied you may be sharing a cell with John Cota.

That being said, I doubt even an investigator will dig back that far in your life but, if you really can’t sleep, then to look into license insurance before fessing up… whether you buy a policy or not… they will usually give you basic advice on this type of thing.

How does that old saying go (?)…there are only two kinds of seamen, liars and wankers, (and I know what I am).

But I also think we make up our own rules about lying and what is acceptable, because deep down we really do want to be truthful. So there is the big bad blatant lie which we strictly do not tolerate and then there are the little white lies…not so much lies but bending the truth. Like in bed when she asks was it good for you too? Well I’m no Jim Carey on that one I can tell you!

In the end it is just where we set our own goal posts on this so that we can sleep peacefully.

[QUOTE=Old Bakelite;36238]How does that old saying go (?)…there are only two kinds of seamen, liars and wankers, (and I know what I am).[/QUOTE]

now that is indeed old!!long ago a very beautiful and wise woman once said to me…“95% of men are wankers…the remaining 5% are either liars, armless or both”!!

[QUOTE=seadawg;36243]now that is indeed [B]old[/B]!!l[/QUOTE]

Being the operative word! It was that long ago when I last heard it which makes me think that I am probably more a liar these days than the other. There’s a fine line between lying and just being a forgetful old bastard.

Maybe another box is needed to check: Did you ever smoke pot? Yes, No or just can’t bloody remember.

The fact that you are using this public forum to ask such a sensitive question raises a bigger question as to your ability to make good decisions.

[QUOTE=Old Bakelite;36259]Maybe another box is needed to check: Did you ever smoke pot? Yes, No or just can’t bloody remember.[/QUOTE]

or may be this tried and true rhodes scholastic logic…it once worked…“I tried it once but I didn’t inhale”!!

or better yet!!

It depends on what the meaning of the words ‘is’ is."!!