Complete Career Change at 36.. doable?

RE4 and an Honorable happen quit routinely; folks that aren’t quite the sharpest knives in the drawer or maybe just couldn’t hack the routine but no malice involved, etc. When one retires it’s an RE2 BTW. Clinton had nothing to do with the current and long standing discharge types: Honorable, General (Honorable Conditions), General(Other than Honorable), Bad Conduct, Dishonorable. I’m not trying to defend anyones past here, I just trying to keep the info factual. I guess the thread got hijacked, I accept my share of the blame for that :slight_smile:

I do believe you are full of crap. I got out of USAF in 1977 and they had honorable. general and dishonorable discharges.[QUOTE=OICUR12;40623]Oh, yeah, that’s right. I forgot about Clinton’s kinder, gentler Navy. Now there is a gray area.

It used to be just Honorable / Dishonorable.

Now there is the grey area of the General Discharge.

But I don’t see someone getting an RE4 and and honorable at the same time. Especially if they don’t even let you serve out your full enlistment.

Yes, yes it’s possible. After retirement say for instance. But he admits having screwed up and stops short of admitting to getting the boot.

Society got tired of the military turning guys loose with Dishonorable discharges to walk the rest of their lives in shame and be on the same level as an ex-convict so they created the grey area for guys that screw up but no one really got hurt or they don’t deserve Brig time for the screw up.

How does one with so little seafaring experience know so much? 83 threads? Really?

For someone with a DUI and a shady discharge from Never Again Volunteer Yourself that does not even have an MMC, he sure has a lot to say about this industry and seamanship in general.

Just me thinkin out loud. Sorry.

I say treatment, get life in order, then work your way up the ladder like the rest of us.

We got enough drunks and drug heads out here as it is.[/QUOTE]

I just got my report date at Paul Hall- total cost was 1150 plus dental work. This covered everything except transport to MD

What does that mean? You got a job?

Paul Hall center is the SIU training school.

So you go to their school, get trained and then they have a pool like MSC? I don’t know too much about SIU.

Unless you are lucky enough to get a permanent position on a ship or tug when you want to go to work you go sit in the union hall and wait for a billet. The position goes to the most senior person present who wants it.

I have to say that it seems like there has been a shortage of Pumpman in the siu. Seems a lot of the jobs go open board. My last trip out we had 2 brand new DEU’ s that were right out of school and landed a job right away.

Thanks for the info. I will assume you are unpaid sitting at union hall until you get a job.

check the thread ‘seafarers union your insights and advice’

Read it. Thanks!