Company recruiters

Why is it that so many companies are letting mariners go but, they see fit to let their recruiters, HR personnel stay on? It’s flat out wrong!

[QUOTE=dncartersweatte1993;158890]Why is it that so many companies are letting mariners go but, they see fit to let their recruiters, HR personnel stay on? It’s flat out wrong![/QUOTE]

Are you suggesting folks like nicky collins should be furloughed?

[QUOTE=dncartersweatte1993;158890]Why is it that so many companies are letting mariners go but, they see fit to let their recruiters, HR personnel stay on? It’s flat out wrong![/QUOTE]

Because often times they fill other roles besides whatever you are imagining in your head? Because even if they have 1 employee left, that gives the HR people something to do?

Just because someone who runs a successful company makes a decision you don’t like, doesn’t mean theyre wrong…

“Are you suggesting folks like nicky collins should be furloughed?”

I don’t want to bring any specific names into this. I’m just saying its uneven is all. When things started getting bad, the company I’m at had a rash of paperwork that only existed to justify someone’s job in the office. Meanwhile on the boat they’re looking for any reason to fire us.

[QUOTE=dncartersweatte1993;158903]“Are you suggesting folks like nicky collins should be furloughed?”

I don’t want to bring any specific names into this. I’m just saying its uneven is all. When things started getting bad, the company I’m at had a rash of paperwork that only existed to justify someone’s job in the office. Meanwhile on the boat they’re looking for any reason to fire us.[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget the pay differentials as well. I don’t know what position you sail in, but a chief or captain could be costing the company 3 times ( or more? ) as much to employ as the people in HR. You unload one officer and you can save 3 others… Again, business decisions.

The drilling companies have laid off a lot of HR and administrative staff, so have some marine companies.

I have noticed that some of the headhunters that I keep in touch with are suddenly gone. I get announcements from other recruiters that they are now in new jobs. People seem to be leaving recruiting agencies and going to in-house HR, or other types of regular jobs.

Have you noticed how few mariner jobs are now being advertised by the headhunters? The headhunters must be starving.

“Don’t forget the pay differentials as well. I don’t know what position you sail in, but a chief or captain could be costing the company 3 times ( or more? ) as much to employ as the people in HR. You unload one officer and you can save 3 others… Again, business decisions.”

You’re right, I’m just saying the office often has dead weight that doesn’t seem to get near as much scrutiny as the boat crew does.

“have you noticed how few mariner jobs are now being advertised by the headhunters? The headhunters must be starving.”

I’m sure they are. Just to be clear I am talking about in house company recruiters. And other HR people

[QUOTE=dncartersweatte1993;158903]“Are you suggesting folks like nicky collins should be furloughed?”

I don’t want to bring any specific names into this. I’m just saying its uneven is all. When things started getting bad, the company I’m at had a rash of paperwork that only existed to justify someone’s job in the office. Meanwhile on the boat they’re looking for any reason to fire us.[/QUOTE]

That was a lame attempt at humor on my part. I showed up the wrong week at ECO a few years ago. In hind sight maybe it was a good thing I got shot down…

Im kind of surprised at the amount of whining there has been about how companies are operating during this downturn. If youre dead weight, the new guy, or the weak link, youre getting canned. And being dead weight in this case doesn’t mean youre shitty at your job, it means they don’t need you, youre dragging the company down, youre dead weight. If the person who ranks higher than you and higher than the HR person decides to fire you, that’s tough shit because theyre your boss. If you want to be a part of those decisions you have a few options, work harder and get promoted ( and that doesn’t always work ) or start your own company. Then you can fire everyone in HR and hire all the boat crews you want.

I don’t want to bring any specific names into this. I’m just saying its uneven is all. When things started getting bad, the company I’m at had a rash of paperwork that only existed to justify someone’s job in the office. [U][/U][B]Meanwhile on the boat they’re looking for any reason to fire us[/B].[/QUOTE]

This is gonna sound crazy, but have you ever thought about not giving them a reason?

Every place I have ever worked, I have told every new employee the same thing;

" this company just started a new incentive program. Its called “work, or youre fucking fired”."

10 years ago, I said it because I thought it was funny. Now I say it because its true.

You’re saying I don’t work hard? Seem like thats what your getting at.

[QUOTE=dncartersweatte1993;158928]You’re saying I don’t work hard? Seem like thats what your getting at.[/QUOTE]

Im surprised you picked up on that. I was really beating around the bush there…

• Updated - - -

ok that last comment was just to be funny. Im not saying you don’t work hard. I wont judge your work ethic because I don’t know you, your position, company, age, and I don’t work with you.
However, you did start a thread worried about who is being fired and why, so lets get to the bottom of it! Its your thread, after all…

Has the company fired someone that you would consider a hard worker, maybe ever a harder worker than you? If so, were they there longer than you? If the answer to both is yes, well then youre just shit out of luck.

If they have just fired a bunch of warm bodies that were there because they kinda sorta needed somebody, and they were your buddy so that’s why youre pissed, but in reality they sucked at their job, well… lifes hard. If they haven’t fired anyone from your company and youre just starting a conversation based on “facts” from the internet and speculation, well then lets talk about it. Are there rumors?
Do you know why they fire the HR people last? Its so the boss has someone to fire people for him so he doesn’t have to get his hands dirty…

I think its pretty funny that you can deduce that from what I’ve said on this thread alone. My boat was stacked everyone ate shit. I’m not even going to entertain whatever else is up your sleeve.

[QUOTE=dncartersweatte1993;158930]I think its pretty funny that you can deduce that from what I’ve said on this thread alone. My boat was stacked everyone ate shit. I’m not even going to entertain whatever else is up your sleeve.[/QUOTE]

OKAY!! now we are getting some where. That’s definitely a shit situation. What position do you hold out of curiosity?