Coasties who transitioned to the Civilian Coast Guard

Hey there,
I am a Coast Guard vet looking for info on applying for a few different GS positions. Does anyone out there have any experience with this?
I get the procedures to applying. I’m looking for info on the work, compared with being active duty. Stresses, life-style, salaries, fringe-benefits…
Thanks for any help.

What types of positions specifically?

I have. PM me if you have questions. Boatswains Mate 2nd class when I got out.

"applying for a few different GS positions"
Could you be more vague?
Seriously, maybe your could specify what your goal is: land based, on the water work, blue collar, management, etc…
By the way, what is the Civilian Coast Guard?

I’m assuming he means civilian DHS or USCG positions supporting our Coasties but with this total lack of usable information who knows.

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;183333]"applying for a few different GS positions"
Could you be more vague?
Seriously, maybe your could specify what your goal is: land based, on the water work, blue collar, management, etc…
By the way, what is the Civilian Coast Guard?[/QUOTE]

“GS” is government service, and prefaces the various levels of civilian government pay grades (e.g. GS-12, GS-13, etc). If you were familiar with the term “GS,” you’d be able to figure out what “civilian Coast Guard” is referring to.

There are more than a few civilians who work for the Coast Guard, perhaps a majority of the personnel in CG HQ are civilians, and a very large majority of the staff of NMC are civilians. Civilian employees of the Coast Guard are not just to support the military members of the Coast Guard, many perform the missions of the Coast Guard directly.

Perhaps his question could have been rephrased as asking if anyone has experience going from military Coast Guard to a civilian position in the Coast Guard, but as I said, if this isn’t obvious, you won’t have the first hand experience being sought. (“Quimby” seems to have that experience, and seems to know waht the question is asking for…)

If you are looking for a job running or crewing boats as a GS employee, let me know, I may be able to help.