Coastal Crewboats

I just got a call from Coastal Crewboats to run one of their boats out for the spill. Stay with the boat the entire duration of the job 1-6 months. Very small boat (45’) and no generator. 12 Hour shifts for 225.00 a day. Any thoughts?

Wow really does not sound very lucrative I make that much and more as an A/B ofcourse on the other hand there has not been much work of late hard call.

low pay + no air conditioning = FUCK THAT!

But if you need the money and cant find anything else, run with it!

That pay is about right for that size boat. I know Delta crewboats, (around 45 feet) were paying in that ball park before the big bust. Delta’s boat are alot nicer though. No gen/ac sounds like Parker drilling boats.

Anyway you cut it, 45 feet does not have a galley onboard, I assume they are going to put you up somewhere, and or you will be sleeping/eating on a platform of some kind. As such, you are only on the boat for the actual run, so the Ac issue is not as bad as it sounds.

Just thoughts, might be worth looking into for a little more info.

[QUOTE=CaptChris878;32897]I just got a call from Coastal Crewboats to run one of their boats out for the spill. Stay with the boat the entire duration of the job 1-6 months. Very small boat (45’) and no generator. 12 Hour shifts for 225.00 a day. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

might want to try and find out what day rate the company is getting for the boat…heard they were paying $100 per/day-per/ft+fuel,lube,filters…which if that is the case is the same rate paid on the Valdez spill in 1989…seems BP should be paying out more in 2010??

**be advised that this is hot, dirty, nasty, toxic work!!I have yet to find where BP is staging training centers for the required 40HR. Haz-Mat Hazwoper course??

[B]**it would seem that the oil industry may be incapable of learning from past mistakes??[/B]

The only thing Ive seen on the Hazwopper is online coarses. If I find it, Ill link it in the forums

Really you can take the hazwopper on line I didnt think you could do that you had to be there in person but hell if you can that would be Great bring on the link and how much was the class on line

http://www.oshacampus.com/hazwoper-training/

[QUOTE=CaptChris878;33010]http://www.oshacampus.com/hazwoper-training/[/QUOTE]

thank you for the reference…BUT suspect that BP already has many contractor employees working the clean up who are not properly trained and/or certified…my concern??what is BP doing to train and protect the individuals that are currently working in this very harmful and toxic enviroment??

probably nothing if history can tell the current story. right now BP is trying to get as much cleaned as possible to limit civil liabilities. Also expect fuel prices are going to rise because of this. This is going to be to offset the cost of the cleanup AND comply with all the new regs your going to see when the smoke finally clears

I know that most of the boat crews have not taken hazwoper, but I think they put people on board who have taken the class and they handle the working directly with the oil.

I’ve taken the hazwoper course and it’s a joke. It has very little relevance to what happens on the water and I took nothing away from the class. Just use the same mind set as used for confined space entry, IE use gas detectors, buddy system, just add taping the cuffs of your hazmat suit.

On subject, $225 to run a 45ft crew boat? I need to ask for a raise.

If they are paying $100 a ft, then that’s a LOT more then what boats are making in the gulf right now. I’m running a 90ft G-Boat and it making $2.5-$3k a day, so why that might be paying the same as the Exxon spill, it’s still better then what’s being offered right now for stuff under 100 tons.

[QUOTE=CaptChris878;33007]The only thing Ive seen on the Hazwopper is online coarses. If I find it, Ill link it in the forums[/QUOTE]

Thursday, May 20th, 2010
<!-- rss -->
<!–date -->[B]FKCC Offers Training Course for Oil Spill Relief Workers[/B] <!-- AddThis Button BEGIN <script type=“text/javascript”>addthis_pub = ‘The Maritime Executive’;</script><script type=“text/javascript” src=“http://s7.addthis.com/js/152/addthis_widget.js”></script>AddThis Button END -->

Thursday, May 20th, 2010
As part of Florida Keys Community College’s ongoing efforts to remain responsive as the community prepares for pending impact from the Gulf oil spill, the college will offer two 24-hour OSHA HAZWOPER (Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Standard) Technician Level training courses for community members to become certified oil spill relief workers. The first session will be held Wednesday, May 19 through Friday, May 21 from 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. at the Key West campus. The second session will be held at Monday, May 24 through Wednesday, May 26, from 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. at the college’s Middle Keys Center located at Marathon High School.

This course expands upon basic safety topics taught in the 4-hour OSHA Marine Oil Spill Post-Emergency Response training sessions that were held last week at FKCC. Those who have completed the 4-hour training will be dismissed at 12:00p.m. on the last day of the session and will receive a $50 price deduction.

The cost of the 24-hour OSHA HAZWOPER Technician Level training course is $575. There is a 40 person maximum per session. For more information or to register for the course, call FKCC Director of Continuing Education Cathy Torres at 305-809-3250.

This is substantually higher than the online coarse for the exact same certification. Dont exactly see where the 575 is justified

Its the Keys, everything can be substantially more expensive…

My company is making Me and my Mates take the 40 hour course, and all of the vessel crew will be taking the 24 hour courses. Looks like a good time to be in the training business.

So whats the verdict? You taking the job for $225, or holding out for 100 ton job?

Yeah I cheched out the course on line $349.95 thats for the 40hr hazwoper and hell you dont even have to get off the couch.LOL

No. The money or A/C wasn’t the tipping point. It was the contractor status and ZERO time off for unknown periods of time.

I would have said yes if it was 4 weeks on 1 week off but it didnt even have that