Coast Guard Testing Failures

[QUOTE=Yo_Soy_Marinero;180043]I really wish there was a course offered at the academies on how to navigate the CFR’s. Finding the info was the hardest part IMO…[/QUOTE]
We do have a few teachers that do try to mix a little CFR in their classes. We had one since departed teacher that wanted every class to teach a certain part of the CFR but it never did catch on. If you can navigate the CFR’s the 70% are easy

[QUOTE=Yo_Soy_Marinero;180043]I really wish there was a course offered at the academies on how to navigate the CFR’s. Finding the info was the hardest part IMO…[/QUOTE]

I thought that was the majority of what was covered in the license prep course senior year.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;179335]After four years at an Academy, a graduate sure as hell should pass all seven modules on the first try. The first time pass rate should be at least 90 percent.

For Christssake, the USCG gives them all the questions to memorize. How could they fail?

I suspect that the real problem is that the education bureaucracy has taken over the academies and turned them into regular state colleges with social promotion and grade inflation. Where no one can have their feelings hurt by flunking a class. Where too much time is spent studying humanities and politically correct nonsense. And of course, too much time is wasted on the regiment.

Obviously, the academies need to be more selective and rigorous in the core curriculum. No one should receive a degree until after they have passed to USCG exam.[/QUOTE]

This assessment is becoming more and more correct. Though the real issue with the students testing this year at the school, were told by the administration to study the old questions under the uscg regulations (training prior to march 14, 2014) which was a question bank of some 13,000 questions. People indeed studied that, and then were tested under the new regulations (effective after march 2014, with an entirely new updated question bank of only about 3500 questions).

The issue this past testing cycle (January 2016) was the administration that sets up the exams, told students to study the material for the regulations prior to march 2014 (a bank of about 13000 outdated questions) and the CG administered the exams under the new regulations after march 2014 (a bank of about 3500 brand new updated questions). Threw a lot of students for a loop on the first day with the first two modules.