After you pass license what else does USCG do?

I just passed my license exam. I was told by the school that they dont get the license until about mid September. Why does it take so long for the USCG to issue the license? I thought all of the background checks, etc. were already completed during the application process. Is it just that it takes the USCG this long due to volume of orders?
Thanks,
Will

I’m confused by your reference to “the school.” Were you approved to test by the National Maritime Center, and did you take an exam from the Coast Guard at a Regional Exam Center? If so, it only takes a day or two to issue the credential after you pass all exams.

However, if you did not take a test from the Coast Guard and took a course to take the place of a Coast Guard exam, it will be longer. If you have already applied and your application reached the PQEB of NMC (Professional Qualifications Evaluation Branch) and you were approved to test, you need to send your course certificate to the NMC and it will still takie a while to be evaluated.

I attended SUNY and signed a sheet allowing the school to handle my license application etc. I recently took the exam at the Battery for my 3rd Mate Unlimited. The USCG reported the grades back to the school. So when I asked the school when I would receive my license they said on graduation (sept. 25). They said they receive the license about a week prior to that date. I was just wondering why it took almost two months.
Thanks,
Will

[QUOTE=woapba;16523]I attended SUNY and signed a sheet allowing the school to handle my license application etc. I recently took the exam at the Battery for my 3rd Mate Unlimited. The USCG reported the grades back to the school. So when I asked the school when I would receive my license they said on graduation (sept. 25). They said they receive the license about a week prior to that date. I was just wondering why it took almost two months.
Thanks,
Will[/QUOTE]

What? The school holds onto your license for a week? That license belongs to you, not them! No way would I let somebody else hang onto my livelihood. And my guess is that they get them pretty quickly, so they are probably hanging onto them for a month or so.

See 46 CFR 11.407(a)(2) [formerly 46 CFR 10.407(a)(2)]. You don’t qualify for the license until you graduate, thus the reason it’s not being given to you until then. It is only a courtesy taht you are allowed to take the test prior to your graduation.

When you get the license you will probably find that the issue date is noted as your graduation date.

Thanks for the information. It is just hard to wait and look for jobs at the same time without the license.
Thanks,
Will

They are correct. For any academy, one of the provisions of receiving the license is graduation. At KP (where I went), we didn’t graduate until a couple of weeks after the state schools. That meant that we were behind the other new guys in the hall by a couple of weeks. One of my classmates passed his license exams, but didn’t make high enough grades to pass the last quarter. He had to re-do the last two quarters of his senior year with the next class. They did give him a QMED rating, so he sailed as an electrician for the six months before the second quarter started back up. I don’t recall if he had to retake his license exam, though. The last time I saw him was about 12 years ago. He was sailing C/E on one of the MARAD pre positioned crane ships. Or should I say standing by.

That’s right - the licenses won’t get to SUNY until the week before graduation - and then Posner is responsible for them, so watch out. You’ll get it at graduation, and it will be dated that day. You can look for jobs though - tell them you’re just waiting on your license and you’ll be available to work after Sept.

While SUNY posts Sept. graduation as 9/25, there really isn’t an actual ceremony. You go to the registrar and pick up your certificates. Seems rather lame holding up everything. But at least it is DONE! Congratulations to all who passed their license exams!

can a cadet at maritime college. take the exam the 3rd mate unlimited exam at the coast guard center on their own so they would have the score failed for a year?. if so what document would they need .

[QUOTE=xcadetx;157636]can a cadet at maritime college. take the exam the 3rd mate unlimited exam at the coast guard center on their own so they would have the score failed for a year?. if so what document would they need .[/QUOTE]

If you had 3 years sea time under hawsepipe rules the answer would be yes. Cadet time would not count. Read what JCavo has posted in this thread and others. You have to graduate their [B]program[/B] in order to get the license. No short cuts allowed.

If you are talking about retakes after initially not passing the exam I believe the answer is yes.

i understand your point. what i am asking is can a cadet take the 3rd/2nd unlimited exam in the coast guard center and have the scores. i heard of many cadets in past taking the exam at the coast guard center patriae on their own. so when its time to take it with school you would already have your scores. since a lot of cadets finish all their academic requirement but they are waiting on last see term so they take it before 1/c cruise instead of taking it after 1/ cruise .

Meanwhile, we revive a 5.5 year old thread, for nothing…I’m contributing to the delinquency

i have read and understood everything you guys have said but what i am asking is as i have heard many cadets in past have went to the coast guard center and took the exam on there owns so once they have completed all the requirement for the degree they would have the test scores ready since the scores is valid for a full year. many cadets have done it in past due to the fact most cadets end up in position where they complete all the requirement but they are waiting on their last sea term once they have complete it . they take the exam which many have complained since you have to study other subject while your on cruise . the main point is to take the exam after all the hard study and thematerial is fresh in your mind so you would pass 7/7 with flying colors.

Thank you

[QUOTE=xcadetx;157636]can a cadet at maritime college. take the exam the 3rd mate unlimited exam at the coast guard center on their own so they would have the score failed for a year?. if so what document would they need .[/QUOTE]

A cadet at a maritime academy that writes this incoherently should not be permitted to graduate.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;157663]A cadet at a maritime academy that writes this incoherently should not be permitted to graduate.[/QUOTE]

Degrees…worthless.

It’s all about the Large OSV License.

Don’t worry, they will hook him up with a fancy drilling job upon graduation. No need for the large OSV’s. And think, he will be a better ship handler than anyone after a few years.

Its beyond phatic the amount of negativity on this forum. auto correct change a couple of words and we got all of this idiotic comments . It’s a maritime academy where cadets are studying to become navigators not an English writer. Not every one have the chance to be born and raised speaking English. It funny because us immigrant get the highest grades in every class beside English… any how to get back to what I was asking
Can a cadet at a maritime school take the unlimited exam at coast guard center so they would have the scores valid for one year, since some cadets finish their entire degree curriculum while they are waiting for there last cruise so they can sit for license. Many cadets in past has went and taken the exam on there own so upon completing there last cruise they graduate instead of taking the exam after taking there last cruise . Many cadets prefer to take it before.

Thank you

You obviously haven’t learned shit about the industry from your maritime academy because writing concise and coherent messages are essential in everyday operations for a mariner, no less someone in any other business. If I were you, I’d request my money back as they have completely failed you.

You need to ask your question directly to someone at the academy or the REC/NMC who handles maritime academy issues. I tested out of sequence myself but that was years ago.

[QUOTE=z-drive;157707]You obviously haven’t learned shit about the industry from your maritime academy because writing concise and coherent messages are essential in everyday operations for a mariner, no less someone in any other business. If I were you, I’d request my money back as they have completely failed you.

You need to ask your question directly to someone at the academy or the REC/NMC who handles maritime academy issues. I tested out of sequence myself but that was years ago.[/QUOTE]
money back? college is for free have i full ride scholarship because some how i have 3.9 /4 Maybe because my English sucks so they feel bad for me I think lmfaoooooo