Civilian Sailor Vs. Navy - I have to make a choice

[QUOTE=chemcarrier;52804]HeeHaw it sounds like you have no idea what you really want to do. You said that you have not researched it too hard. Sounds like maybe you wanted everyone here to make your decision for you. Maybe…you should get started on that research.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you didn’t read anything I said very closely. I wrote that I had not researched Army Warrant Officer too hard, because I had just looked it up based on some commenter’s suggestion. You expect me to know everything about every position and possibility in the military before I come here?

If I was completely sure of what I wanted to do, I wouldn’t be here asking for insight from more experienced people. People make posts like these as a part of their research when making decisions, so that their decisions are more informed. What is the problem with that?

But where did I ever imply I wanted people to make the decision for me? I wanted to hear what people’s opinions and experiences were to help inform my decision. I stated this outright. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH THAT? You can go to hell.

[QUOTE=chemcarrier;52804]HeeHaw it sounds like you have no idea what you really want to do. You said that you have not researched it too hard. Sounds like maybe you wanted everyone here to make your decision for you. Maybe…you should get started on that research.[/QUOTE]

some people like others to make their decisions for them I guess.

in any event, go merchant service rather than navy UNLESS you really like the security of other people telling you what to do 24/7/365.

[QUOTE=heehaw;52817]I wanted to hear what people’s opinions and experiences were to help inform my decision. I stated this outright. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH THAT? You can go to hell.[/QUOTE]

You won’t be happy in the Navy. People who are far less well informed than you will make all the decisions for you and if you tell them to go to hell you will be very very unhappy for a long time.

[QUOTE=heehaw;52817]It sounds like you didn’t read anything I said very closely. I wrote that I had not researched Army Warrant Officer too hard, because I had just looked it up based on some commenter’s suggestion. You expect me to know everything about every position and possibility in the military before I come here?

If I was completely sure of what I wanted to do, I wouldn’t be here asking for insight from more experienced people. People make posts like these as a part of their research when making decisions, so that their decisions are more informed. What is the problem with that?

But where did I ever imply I wanted people to make the decision for me? I wanted to hear what people’s opinions and experiences were to help inform my decision. I stated this outright. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH THAT? You can go to hell.[/QUOTE]

If you are this sensitive, DO NOT join the military.

[QUOTE=heehaw;52763]I know Engine is supposed to be more employable, but being stuffed inside inside a loud engine room all day doesn’t appeal to me. I like the sun and the elements. On the other hand, I like mechanics, learning how things work, problem solving, etc. I just wish I didn’t have to make an either/or decision right away and get some experience of both first, then pick my path. I already know I like cooking, but I’ve never worked as one or had training, so I doubt I’d have a Stew opportunity. Actually, I figured that getting a job cooking would just take all the fun out of it.

With the Navy, I assumed it wouldn’t be such a big deal transitioning to civilian life. I’ll have had a job and training for all those years which I can use to get a job if I need to, or more likely, use the GI Bill and just go to school for a while. Some guys get their college done while their serving, too. I definitely don’t see myself doing more than 4.[/QUOTE]
Does this sound like confusion? HeeHaw you said you put your business on here to opinions from other people. Now you have them! You do not get to choose who gives them and who does not. At least not here. I only been out here for 11 yrs. One thing that I know is that you better leave all your sensitivities at home. When you are gone for a long period of time with a bunch of men on a boat someone will get under your skin. You better be able to deal with it. If my post offended you I am sorry. When I went to get my License I done the whole list of STCW classes but I missed my Sensitivity Training. Maybe in this new "Touchy Feely " world were living in the USCG will impose this class upon us. Then maybe I will not be so offensive when I post on this open forum. I done a little time in the USMC and we were a very sensitive bunch. Maybe you should see a USMC Recruiter I am sure he will treat you right. It may just be the career you were looking for. Good Luck to you.:D:):mad::stuck_out_tongue:

Speaking from the navy side, my experience has been mostly positive. Currently been in 9 years. A pro about the navy is you get to do different things. I did a bit of time doing security (standing at a gate, pier or walking a railroad track) Did 6 years on a submarine in which I did many different jobs on there. Now I’m currently an instructor at navy bootcamp.

However, my contract is up in a year and I do not intend to reenlist, my rate or job is even one with large bonus’s. I intend to get into one of the maritime schools and go for engineering using the post 9/11 G.I. Bill.

I do not regret serving in the U.S. navy though, the experiences good and bad have taught me a ton and while its something I’d rather not do over, I wouldn’t take it back.

If you are unsure, I would say navy would be solid, or like someone else suggested the reserves. The G.I. Bill opens a lot of opportunities.

Another thing to look up is the military retirement is getting “reworked.” Which is something to consider since that was the real carrot to staying career for many people.

That’s my 2 cents and hope it helps, good luck.