Chouest is laying off. Looking for new job

So I got a [B]text[B][/B][/B] message today from my coordinator saying that due to the downturn in the economy that chouest is doing lay-offs and that unfortunately I am being terminated. Now the part that annoys me is that I have worked with chouest for 3 years and I get laid off by text. Wow, don’t even get the courtesy of a phone call.

So, I have applied to all the companies I could find or that I know of, and I was wondering if anyone might know of any companies that aren’t so mainstream that would possibly hire a 1600 ton/3000itc mate near coastal with basic dp?

Im so glad I didnt pass that stupid step test. A blessing in disguise.

Isn’t Chouest’s big thing that they’re the only company that doesn’t lay off? I thought that was like they’re big claim to fame or something. So what gives? Are things that bad down there?

Any minute a chouest apologist will come on and say it’s not true, so tough to say this moment.

No, that was Tidewater’s MO in the late nineties. Remember going to a big officers meeting, and they crowed about how they had never laid off. Two months later there were carryalls showing ups at 02:00 with termination letters. Worst I ever saw was some poor sob AB from Alaska showing up on a one way ticket just to get a pink slip. Didn’t have enough money to get back home. I was lucky enough to not get get fired. Wound up making a ton of overseas deliveries and eventually transferred to West Africa. This is now and always a boom and bust industry. If you think Joe is going to take care of you cradle to grave and you’re not from down here. Shame on you. I’m only lucky to have lots of contacts through my years of eating shit. New guys are always FNGs. Same as it ever was.
Pardon the extraneous letters in my post. New iPhone app sucks major dick. Can’t scroll down to delete the up.
up

Sorry to hear this Mik.

What division were you working? Who was your coordinator?

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;164400]Isn’t Chouest’s big thing that they’re the only company that doesn’t lay off? I thought that was like they’re big claim to fame or something. So what gives? Are things that bad down there?[/QUOTE]

I cannot ever recall ECO laying off. I’ve witnessed them terminating those in dire need of being terminated when things have gotten slow in the past, but never mass layoffs like those common with Tidewater, Hornbeck etc. Then again, I cannot ever recall ECO having 30+ boats off charter either. ECO has in the past been immune to oil industry downturns, and is why layoffs are so uncommon. But with 700+ extra personel now floating around, terminations are inevitable.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=z-drive;164401]Any minute a chouest apologist will come on and say it’s not true, so tough to say this moment.[/QUOTE]

Oh no, it’s true.

From what I gather, all of the northern academy folks will be the first to get axed.

Still not sure I’m buying this, I think they are doing terminations only. In any case I also think layoffs are inevitable. I only hope they come due to merit and not where you are from.

[QUOTE=beekerbetter;164419]Still not sure I’m buying this, I think they are doing terminations only. In any case I also think layoffs are inevitable. I only hope they come due to merit and not where you are from.[/QUOTE]

There will be a contest. Jeaux Boss will sponsor a mandatory picnic, and those who can eat the most deep fried shit sandwiches will keep their jobs. That is the skill that Jeaux Boss admires most, the ability to eat his shit sandwiches with a smile.

So I can personally verify ECO is laying people off. I read this thread last night, got concerned and got the call this morning. I’m un-employed. I was a Mate and was told they have 50 boats stacked and 10-12 mates in my division got layed off. My buddy in a different division said the whole crew on his previous boat got layed off. This sucks…

I had heard that when they wanted everyone to go even time those that refused would be the first to go if it came to this. My question is, are you or the OP among those that refused?

I am so sorry to hear that man. Very sorry. I wish you the best as you seek out new employment. Are you able shed some light on where the bulk of the cuts are being made? Which divisions? Have you seen a correlation to the recent employ evaluations?

[QUOTE=Hawespiper5;164465]So I can personally verify ECO is laying people off. I read this thread last night, got concerned and got the call this morning. I’m un-employed. I was a Mate and was told they have 50 boats stacked and 10-12 mates in my division got layed off. My buddy in a different division said the whole crew on his previous boat got layed off. This sucks…[/QUOTE]

how long have you worked at eco?

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;164469]I had heard that when they wanted everyone to go even time those that refused would be the first to go if it came to this. My question is, are you or the OP among those that refused?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Loved even time.

A raise rumor gets 600 comments in a day but the first layoffs at Chouest get 11? I think the absence of C-Captains posts is hurting the forum traffic.

I guess it’s time for all the big shot academy guys to go to real ships…

But how do you really feel??

[QUOTE=beekerbetter;164475]A raise rumor gets 600 comments in a day but the first layoffs at Chouest get 11? I think the absence of C-Captains posts is hurting the forum traffic.

I guess it’s time for all the big shot academy guys to go to real ships…[/QUOTE]

There are only about 100 real ships and almost all of those jobs are controlled the unions. There are what, 500 new academy kids that just graduated? Plus hundreds more laid off from the oil patch. What real ship jobs are available?

And now we are back to OSV/MPSV’s not being real ships again…

I think the layoffs are not just a no work no income situation but what they think about the future which IMHO is grim if this is all related to the volume of oil pumped ( going up every day versus global consumption going down/flat every day)

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;164480]And now we are back to OSV/MPSV’s not being real ships again…[/QUOTE]

well they are all 99grt arent they?lol

Sarcasm in written form was a mistake on my part.