Chouest forms subsea services JV with FMC Technologies

http://gcaptain.com/fmc-technologies-edison-chouest-offshore-joint-venture/

OCTOBER 22, 2012 —
FMC Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: FTI) announced today that it has formed a joint venture with Louisiana-based Edison Chouest Offshore that will provide vessel-based subsea services for the oil and gas industry.
The new joint venture will service clients utilizing the subsea technologies, tooling and expertise of FMC Technologies, and the vessel, port logistics and ROV operations of Edison Chouest Offshore.
Services to be offered by the joint venture include equipment intervention, riserless light well intervention, plug and abandonment and other services. The company’s objective is to provide cost-effective solutions to enhance the customer’s ability to initiate, maintain, and increase production from subsea field developments through efficient operations, innovative technologies and a broad inventory of vessels and tools.
“We are pleased to be working with Edison Chouest Offshore to expand the portfolio of subsea services offered by FMC Technologies,” said Tore Halvorsen, FMC Technologies’ Senior Vice President, Subsea Technologies. “This joint venture will provide integrated subsea solutions to address the growing needs of our customers to increase production and improve field recovery rates.”
“We look forward to working with FMC Technologies on this new venture,” said Dino Chouest, Vice President of Operations, Edison Chouest Offshore. “Their leadership in the subsea market combined with our expertise in marine transportation will bring new integrated technologies and operations to the development of subsea fields.”
The new company will be based in Houston, Texas.

Of course, to this news I say GREAT! Kick Subsea 7 and their vessels the hell out of the GoM. Come one Gary, let’s build pipelayers, well intervention and heavy lift vessels in the US. You sir are the man who can do this! Make it so!

Lets not forget about HOS and the new T-24’s & T-26’s the way! They are coming! We will be well positioned.

[QUOTE=rjbpilot;86371]Lets not forget about HOS and the new T-24’s & T-26’s the way! They are coming! We will be well positioned.[/QUOTE]

But they have to be signed up long term with a major subsea services company for them to work. Who is the IRON HORSE working for right now? Saipem? I understand the client is interested in the US built boats. What about the ACHIEVER…is she still only working the spot market? Granted, I know she is a foreign hull but she’s American manned.

Certainly what needs to happen is for Oceaneering to get rid of their Norwegian vessels which appears to be happening with their charter of the KADE CANDIES. It would also be nice if CalDive would ditch the antique shit they have in favor of some of these American newbuilds coming. Veolia is slowly moving in the right direction but they still are heavy with foreign vessels. Aker needs to go US! The best way for this to happen is for a tax to be paid on any foreign vessel working in the GoM and a tax break for using American. This is an absolute win-win for the US. Those companies that do want to stay with the Norskies at least pay something to the country for the right to work here and those companies who go US provide jobs to American shipyards, shipowners and the all the labor involved. How can we lose if such a tax or duty was imposed.

HEAR ME OMSA…START LOBBYING CONGRESS FOR THIS NOW!

Technip wants HOS to pull the trigger on the new builds for them. They are very impressed with the capabilities of Iron Horse and wants some bigger platforms, from what I have been told. You are correct on Achiever, she is doing spot jobs, currently in Mexico.

[QUOTE=c.captain;86340]Of course, to this news I say GREAT! Kick Subsea 7 and their vessels the hell out of the GoM. Come one Gary, let’s build pipelayers, well intervention and heavy lift vessels in the US. You sir are the man who can do this! Make it so![/QUOTE]

Subsea 7 really only has one foreign vessel in the GOM, the" Skandi Neptune", it actually has about 40% American crew on it, all the rest of the Subsea 7 vessels are charted through OCLLC.

I agree with you, even one is to many!!!

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;86390]Subsea 7 really only has one foreign vessel in the GOM, the" Skandi Neptune", it actually has about 40% American crew on it, all the rest of the Subsea 7 vessels are charted through OCLLC.

I agree with you, even one is to many!!![/QUOTE]

I have to say that is at least positive news. I thought they had more ferren vessels in the GoM that just the one.

I guess one other thing we can infer from this news between ECO and FMC is that C-Innovation is going away. Did it ever get on its feet or is that one of Gary’s very few mistakes he’s made?

[QUOTE=c.captain;86416]I have to say that is at least positive news. I thought they had more ferren vessels in the GoM that just the one.

I guess one other thing we can infer from this news between ECO and FMC is that C-Innovation is going away. Did it ever get on its feet or is that one of Gary’s very few mistakes he’s made?[/QUOTE]

He actually bought Schilling INC. They are the most common function arms for any ROV in the world. Schilling also makes it’s own ROV, which is a decent work class of ROV called the UHD series. I have worked with several of them, they do good as long as you have decent techs and piots. Gary owns Schilling now. So he better hope he has ROV work for a long time. The last I heard ECO was replacing all the Oceanerring ROV systems on there vessels, as soon as His new company can get the ROV’s built. There is about a 2 year waiting list to get a ROV system right now. The Dynacon winch and LARS is the same close to 2 years if you order one now. I see Dynacon being next on the Xmas list for Mr. G. I might be wrong but I really don’t think C-Innovation will be going anywhere. they have systems everywhere now. Alot of the guys from some of the failed ROV outfits the last several years are there. Phoenix, DMT, Siapem America,

[QUOTE=c.captain;86416]I have to say that is at least positive news. I thought they had more ferren vessels in the GoM that just the one.

I guess one other thing we can infer from this news between ECO and FMC is that C-Innovation is going away. Did it ever get on its feet or is that one of Gary’s very few mistakes he’s made?[/QUOTE]

BP has a couple ferren vessels on hire working here, the Norman Pacific is one of them, I will remember the name of the other one or two shortly. They are working directly for BP though. I don’t think there is much we can do about that except bitch.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;86417]He actually bought Schilling INC. They are the most common function arms for any ROV in the world. Schilling also makes it’s own ROV, which is a decent work class of ROV called the UHD series. I have worked with several of them, they do good as long as you have decent techs and piots. Gary owns Schilling now. So he better hope he has ROV work for a long time. The last I heard ECO was replacing all the Oceanerring ROV systems on there vessels, as soon as His new company can get the ROV’s built. There is about a 2 year waiting list to get a ROV system right now. The Dynacon winch and LARS is the same close to 2 years if you order one now. I see Dynacon being next on the Xmas list for Mr. G. I might be wrong but I really don’t think C-Innovation will be going anywhere. they have systems everywhere now. Alot of the guys from some of the failed ROV outfits the last several years are there. Phoenix, DMT, Siapem America,[/QUOTE]

Since when did this Schilling purchase happen? I know this was a rumor in the past. Schilling provides almost all the arms to change out rods in the worlds nuclear reactors, including those that Oceaneering use on their ROV’s…Schillings was not interested in getting bought out. I am very good friends with the guy that runs C-Innovations and eating lunch with him next week. I have not heard this one yet, as far as a final sale.

C-Innovation is not going anywhere, the feasibility was installing them on Anchor Vessels, once the Oceaneering contracts ran out, and not even charge the oil companies for usage unless they got wet. This can be attractive to some some oil companies as far as mobilization cost, but not feasible for those that used proprietary tooling that tied them to Oceaneering for instance.

It is my understanding that the customer dictates which ROV company is o/b a Shell chartered OSV/AHT. In this case I think it’s Shells call.
I think Anchorman is correct, not for nothing.

Rumor had it a while back that FMC bought Schilling, never was able to confirm it (I didn’t try very hard either). I do know that for some oil companies they still bid out the ROV’s separate from the boats, that’s why the Petrobras ROV vessel has an Oceaneering ROV on it, they beat out C-Innovation for the ROV contract.

[QUOTE=shipmate 1;86421]It is my understanding that the customer dictates which ROV company is o/b a Shell chartered OSV/AHT. In this case I think it’s Shells call.
I think Anchorman is correct, not for nothing.[/QUOTE]

It’s always the oil company’s call. ECO will obviously try to make C-Innovations attractive when appropriate, but on the Shell anchor boats (the exception I mentioned) -I worked on them for 15 years - Shell will always use Oceaneering - too much proprietary tooling and familiarity to change, the savings would not offset the perceived risk on the Shell boats

[QUOTE=Azimuth;86422]Rumor had it a while back that FMC bought Schilling, never was able to confirm it (I didn’t try very hard either). I do know that for some oil companies they still bid out the ROV’s separate from the boats, that’s why the Petrobras ROV vessel has an Oceaneering ROV on it, they beat out C-Innovation for the ROV contract.[/QUOTE]

Sometime ECO will throw in the ROV for pennies just to land the boat contract…that’s why they (ECO) was very smart with this venture. But, with ROV’s, more so than most anything else, people and experience are the BIG DIFFERENCE. C-Innovations is new to the table.

I know this summer BP had the Skandi Neptune, Boa Deep C, Boa Sub C, Viking Posiedon, and one of the Olympic boats all working on the Atlantis project. All foriegn flagged. They did have an OC boat and the Iron Horse for a short time as well.

[QUOTE=rigdvr;86427]I know this summer BP had the Skandi Neptune, Boa Deep C, Boa Sub C, Viking Posiedon, and one of the Olympic boats all working on the Atlantis project. All foriegn flagged. They did have an OC boat and the Iron Horse for a short time as well.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like OMSA needs to send some of the boys round to pay a little visit to BP’s headquarters and enlighten them with a little friendly and gentle persuasion that if they keep chartering all them ferren vessels, that strange little accidents might suddenly start happening to them in the most unexpected of places.

//youtu.be/cNZKUozrBl4

“You wouldn’t want any of your production platforms to come up missing now would you?”

Here is the news release that FMC purchased Schilling from April 2012

You should have been out there the day they stopped the job and announced over the VHF that they would all be sounding their horns in honor of the Norwegian Independence Day…one of the supply boats reminded him it should be in honor of us freeing them :slight_smile:

Looked like a UN convention out there. Up to 5 foreign construction boats working a one square mile grid.

[QUOTE=rigdvr;86437]You should have been out there the day they stopped the job and announced over the VHF that they would all be sounding their horns in honor of the Norwegian Independence Day…one of the supply boats reminded him it should be in honor of us freeing them :slight_smile:

Looked like a UN convention out there. Up to 5 foreign construction boats working a one square mile grid.[/QUOTE]

What burns my ass is how they complain about working in the USA like it was Nigeria or something! I heard all them Norwegians, Danes, Scots, Poles, Russians and Dutchmen all bitching up a storm about how dirty the New Orleans was and how awful the ride to the heliport in Houma and of course, how stupid, lazy and dirty Americans all are! It is one of the biggest reasons I said FU to Maersk Drilling! FUCKING GO BACK TO EUROPE YOU PRIMA DONAS AND EAT YOU EFFING SALTED COD TONGUES IN YOUR EFFING CLOGS!

Goddamned I am glad to see that things are starting to change but we sure have a long way still to go before this shit ends!

[QUOTE=c.captain;86439] I heard all them Norwegians, Danes, Scots, Poles, Russians and Dutchmen all bitching up a storm about how dirty the New Orleans was and how awful the ride to the heliport in Houma and of course, how stupid, lazy and dirty Americans all are![/QUOTE]

Problem is the rest of the USA thinks this same thing, myself included. When I show pictures of where I work people generally think I’m showing them pictures of a 3rd world country, not the busiest deep water oil port in the USA.

My vessel has a multi-year contract with Anadarko that includes an Oceaneering ROV with a crew of three on board. As you mentioned, they only start charging when it gets wet. Makes you wonder what their rates are to sustain keeping crews and equipment on board basically idle most of the time. Our ROV jobs are infrequent. They are definitely making a profit off of this arrangement.