Choosing a Maritime Academy

Hi! This is my first time posting on gcaptain, and I apologize if this post is a bit all over the place. It’s almost time to start sending in my college applications, and I’ve been considering attending a maritime academy for some time now.

Some background information: I’m a 17 year old girl in my senior year of high school. I currently live in an rv, traveling the country with my family. I’ve never had a “traditional” high school education. I attended a preparatory school for 9th and 10th grade, and I’ve been doing online ever since. My gpa is 2.3, and I have not taken my SAT’s yet, though I’m certain I’ll get an above average score (I’ve been studying for months and have taken several practice tests!) I’m not too worried on getting accepted into school, my only worry is getting a letter of recommendation. I don’t talk to any of my instructors or principal, and I’ve never had an employer so getting a letter might be tricky.

As of right now, Maine Maritime Academy is where I want to attend. I love the idea of living in a small secluded town, and the long winters sound wonderful (I’m half Eskimo, and grew up in Alaska, long cold and lonely winters don’t daunt me;)) I’m very active, and I love to hike, bike, and kayak in my free time. I feel that in Castine, I can still be active and enjoy my hobbies, as opposed to going to school in the city. I’ve heard that for Marine Engineering, Maine is the way to go. I read through the regiment handbook for Maine, and I’m not too worried about that. I’m up at 5am everyday to workout and run on my own, and I’m not bothered by the uniforms. I feel like being a part of the regiment will be a great experience, giving me an opportunity to grow and mature as a person, and become more responsible and reliable.

Now to get to my question, what academy did you attend and why? I want to hear about the pros and cons of each school, what made you initially choose to attend there, and if you could go back and do it over again, what would you change?

Again, I apologize if this has been covered already. Thank you!

Did you choose a school? Looks like this was back in 2013 - hope all is well for you.