Chief Engineer Limited / DDE

Hello all, I’m a veteran who recently got his license and am looking for a little clarification. I tested for and received a Chief Engineer (Limited) Oceans/Near Coastal/Great Lakes. Can I apply for a position that requires Designated Duty Engineer?

Yes. Chief Engineer Limited is a superior license to DDE so you can work on anything someone with a DDE can work on.

[QUOTE=shuttle_launch;179736]Hello all, I’m a veteran who recently got his license and am looking for a little clarification. I tested for and received a Chief Engineer (Limited) Oceans/Near Coastal/Great Lakes. Can I apply for a position that requires Designated Duty Engineer?[/QUOTE]

congratulations on passing your exams.
DDE tickets are limited to 500 grt vessels, and your license is limited to 1600 grt.
In regards to comparing your license with the dde, the only problem you may have is if you have a horsepower limitation. If you have unlimited hp with your chief’s ticket you’re golden.

[QUOTE=Ctony;179764]congratulations on passing your exams.
DDE tickets are limited to 500 grt vessels, and your license is limited to 1600 grt.
In regards to comparing your license with the dde, the only problem you may have is if you have a horsepower limitation. If you have unlimited hp with your chief’s ticket you’re golden.[/QUOTE]
I have held a CHENG Limited, Gas & Motor any HP since May 1998. It sufficed for every position I held and was only turned down once as that company decided they would rather have 2nd UNL Gas & Motor. I did want to ask the new Chief, Were your evaluators utilizing the latest NVIC addressing the “translation” of military sea time to merchant sea time? https://www.uscg.mil/nmc/professional_qualifications/pdfs/crediting_military_ss.pdf
I, too spent years at sea in a military uniform. Thanks for your service.