Cg evaluator nightmare

[I]Inactive license renewal. /I Applicants for renewal of licenses who are unwilling or otherwise unable to meet the requirements of paragraphs © or (d) of this section may renew their licenses, with the following restrictive endorsement placed on the back of the license: .License renewed for continuity purposes only; service under the authority of this license is prohibited… Holders of licenses with this [I]continuity endorsement [/I]may have the prohibition rescinded [U]at any time[/U] by satisfying the renewal requirements in paragraphs ©, (d), and (h) of this section.

According to the relevant parts of the newly implemented [B]United States Homeland Security /United States Coast Guard [/B]33 CFR Parts 1, 20, 70, et al.[B], [/B]46 CFR Parts 1, 4, 5, et al.[B] RE: [/B][I]Consolidation of Merchant MarinerQualification Credentials; Final Rule[/I], as published in the US Federal Register, dated Monday, March 16, 2009:

[B]
[/B]
[B]§ 10.227 Requirements for renewal.[/B]
[B][I]U Except as provided in paragraph[/U][/I][/B]
[B][I]U of this section[/U][/I][/B] , an applicant for
renewal of a credential must establish
possession of all of the necessary
qualifications before the renewal MMC
will be issued.
[B]The section (e) referred to is: [/B]
[B]§[/B] B [/B][B][I]Document of continuity. [/I][/B]B[/B]
[B]Applicants for renewal who are[/B]
[B]unwilling or otherwise unable to meet[/B]
[B]the requirements of paragraph (d) of this[/B]
[B]section, including but not limited to the[/B]
[B]medical and physical standards of[/B]
[B]§ 10.215, drug tests, and TWIC, may[/B]
[B]apply for a document of continuity[/B]
[B]issued by the Coast Guard. [/B]
[B][U]Documents of continuity do not expire and are[/U][/B]
[B][U]issued solely to maintain an[/U][/B]
[B][U]individual’s eligibility for renewal.[/U][/B]
[B]A document of continuity does not entitle[/B]
[B]an individual to serve as a merchant[/B]
[B]mariner. [/B]
[B][U]A holder of a document of continuity may obtain a properly endorsed, valid MMC at any time by[/U][/B]
[B][U]satisfying the requirements for renewal as provided in paragraph (d).[/U][/B]
B Applications for a document of continuity must include:[/B]
B The credential to be renewed.[/B]
[B]Upon written request, the Coast Guard will return the credential to the applicant after it has been cancelled;[/B]
[B]And (ii) An application including a signed statement from the applicant attesting to an awareness of the limited purpose of the Document of Continuity, their inability to serve, and the requirements to obtain an MMC.[/B]

:confused: 12 MONTHS AGO (OCT 08) I WENT TO MY REC AND THEY SAID NEW RULES WERE COMING OUT IN APRIL09 , BUT CONTINUITY NO LONGER EXPIRES" SO GO AHEAD AND GET THE STCWS STARTED AND WHEN YOU HAVE THESE COME BACK AND WELL FILE… AFTER 7 MONTHS OF CLASSES i FILE AND HE SAYS ALL LOOKS GOOD & DONT SEND RELATED SERVICE UNTIL ASKED… GOT 1ST LETTER 2 MONTHS LATER SAYING ONLY NEEDED BRIDGE RESOURCE MGMNT & FLASHING LIGHTS… I CALLED EVALUATOR TO BE SURE AND ASKED IF THERE WERE ANY OTHER REQUIREMENTS & WANTED TO INQUIRING ABOUT AN MY MMD & POSIBLE OF AN AB CERT SO I COULD AT LEAST WORK AS AB UNTIL LICENSE WAS DONE–HE STATED, WHAT FOR , YOU ARE READY TO HAVE RULES OF ROAD HOME TEST AS SOON AS YOU GET THESE 2 IN… OK - DONE IN 2 WEEKS AND SENT IN… AFTER ANOTHER 6 WEEKS OF NO ANSWER I CALL AND TOLD YES EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD AND SHOULD RECEIVE YOUR OK TO TEST LETTER TO WHICH i ASKED ABOUT THE HOME RULES OF ROAD AND Was told, yes that’s correct once you get the letter you call and you REC will send test to you, complete the test, return it and if passed in about 4 weeks you; have license and MMD.AFTER NOT RECEIVING THAT LETTER I CONTACT THEM BY EMAIL AND AM TOLD THAT LETTER WAS COMING IN LESS THAN A WEEK… TODAY I EMAIL THEM AND MY EVALUATOR NOW SAYING [FONT=Courier New]your “continuity license” was expired past the 1 yr grace period allowed AND YOU MUST RETAKE THE WHOLE EXAM FOR 1600 MASTER…
WHOOOOOAAAA I SAID- THE REC TOLD ME AND GAVE ME THE ABOVE FROM FEDERAL REGISTER AND IT IS CLEAR ON THE STEPS—
ARE THERE ANY LAWYERS OUT IN WV THAT SPECIALIZE IN THIS GARBAGE–THESE GUYS ARE OUT OF CONTROL
[/FONT]

I feel your pain. You are not alone. Is there a doctor in the room.
Calling Dr. Cavo. Dr. Cavo are you there? :slight_smile:

If you disagree with the NMC’s decision, you should request (in writing) a formal reconsideration of the decision. Send the request to the the Commanding Officer of the NMC. If you disagree with the decision on thie reconsideration, you can appeal to the Commandant of the Coast Guard. That appeal gets decided in USCG HQ, but must be sent via the NMC.

If you decide to request the reconsideration (and later appeal), do so as soon as possible. Normally the request/appeal must be made within 30 days of the decision being appealled. Note that you can appeal any decision, it does not have to be a final denial. This includes any determination of “Awaiting Information.”