CG drops radar recertification course

Looks like the CG is saying it’s no longer required every 5 years. That’s great, that gives us a little more money in our pockets to use when we do the required recertification for adv fire and all the other stuff they forced on us.

http://www.professionalmariner.com/October-November-2017/Congress-instructs-USCG-to-drop-radar-recertification-requirement/#.WdVqUkJuakM.facebook

2 Likes

This is great news. Hope it reaches fruition before my next renewal in 2019. As you pointed out I’ll have my hands full with all the stcw revalidation/refreshers.

Sorry, didn’t mean to step on your post. Just too damn slow on the trigger.

1 Like

Hey my man. What’s a good place for me to go to check up on the status of this policy change? Is calling the NMC and asking my best bet?

Yeah I need an update too. I’m due in April.

NMC won’t know, they don’t make policy or regulations. It’s going to take a regulation change. That means a notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM), a public comment period, and a final rule.

If you’re due in April, I’d suggest reserving a spot in a course.

3 Likes

Fair enough, thanks for your time.

yup, during the next accident the headline will be: "USCG no longer requires radar usage as mandantory for “driving boats”. ha ha ha

If the proposal would gain traction, then I would be all for it. The current courses in my area are we’ll out-dated due to the nature of how the equipment is operated today. I feel that a modern radar refresher course should just consist of reading your operators manual.