Carnival does it again

Carnival Dream is stuck in port in Philipsburg since yesterday afternoon. Pax complaining to CNN about overflowing toilets and no power. I just checked AIS and she’s still there.

Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/14/power-outages-overflowing-toilets-reportedly-plague-another-carnival-cruise/

Technical issues with the ship’s backup diesel generator. Passengers are being flown home and the next voyage has been cancelled. http://gcaptain.com/carnival-cruise-ship-stuck-port/

WTF is it with the electrical systems on these ships? Are they really that vulnerable and without redundancy?

They hint that it was an EDG problem this time. Maybe port state wanted to see it auto start and it wouldn’t. That would cause a detention.

I was just lurking over at the cruise forums again and had to contain my urge to blast’em with a Bronx cheer…ya getz what ya payz for, folks.

[QUOTE=catherder;102707]They hint that it was an EDG problem this time. Maybe port state wanted to see it auto start and it wouldn’t. That would cause a detention.

I was just lurking over at the cruise forums again and had to contain my urge to blast’em with a Bronx cheer…ya getz what ya payz for, folks.[/QUOTE]

The reports I heard on TV were that the heads are overflowing again. Its a lot more than an emergency generator that won’t start. They are not chartering planes and flying thousands of people home for a small problem or a mere detention.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;102711]The reports I heard on TV were that the heads are overflowing again. Its a lot more than an emergency generator that won’t start. They are not chartering planes and flying thousands of people home for a small problem or a mere detention.[/QUOTE]

I heard that, too, but now Carnival claims the problem was isolated to one public head and that they never actually lost power.

They may be flying people home to avoid another ugly scenario where pax are claiming to be “held hostage.”

Who the hell actually knows, like the Triumph we won’t get much on the story till the You tube videos go up…

Well you know, Carnivore is currently providing Portable Toilet to his Business Class. It’s quite a step forward don’t you think ? So be indulgent, give them a chance …

[QUOTE=tugsailor;102711]The reports I heard on TV were that the heads are overflowing again.[/QUOTE]

Excuse me for painting the picture but you have over 4,000 people on a boat for 7 days eating comfort food and drinking tons of alcohol. These ships probably see 50 clogged toilets on a good day.

You’re correct. I worked on cruise ships for 10yrs, never on Carnival tho, and it seemed like everyday there was a toilet on some deck that was clogged. It’s the vacuum toilet system and the stupidity of people trying to flush huge amounts of toilet paper or foreign debris down them.

When you carry thousands of sumo size passengers that has to goal to make profitable their passage ticket, by eating all they can buffets 24 hours a day on 15 different decks … no wonder why the toilets are clogged !!!

Man, you need some sort of heavy duty 4x4 mechanical tungsten grinder idiot proof toilet to digest all that ! :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Mikey;102720]Excuse me for painting the picture but you have over 4,000 people on a boat for 7 days eating comfort food and drinking tons of alcohol. These ships probably see 50 clogged toilets on a good day.[/QUOTE]

Aircraft carriers and submarine tenders, minus the alcohol and plus the Doritos and Mountain Dew. Got the t-shirt, too. I have fond memories of black and grey water backups. We had people who clogged toilets on purpose because they were bored and mommy and daddy didn’t “raise 'em right.” Then there were the Marines…

Update: 2025 eastern time and she’s still stuck in St. Maarten. The suspense is building!!

The Legend is limping back to Tampa now. It looks like another case of a well maintained cruise ship. Just run them till they drop or burn up.

[QUOTE=Pilot;102753]The Legend is limping back to Tampa now. It looks like another case of a well maintained cruise ship. Just run them till they drop or burn up.[/QUOTE]

And the Dream is still in Phillipsburg, St. Maarten…

Article on the Legend- looks like azipod issues,

Enough is enough!

Its time for a Congressional investigation, and new legislation enforcing tough new requirements (including a “passengers’ bill of rights”) for cruise ships that: advertise, sell tickets, process payments, or make port calls in the United States.

The USCG should immediately step up port state control inspections and start issue detentions for even the most minor violations.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;102759]Enough is enough!

Its time for a Congressional investigation, and new legislation enforcing tough new requirements (including a “passengers’ bill of rights”) for cruise ships that: advertise, sell tickets, process payments, or make port calls in the United States.

The USCG should immediately step up port state control inspections and start issue detentions for even the most minor violations.[/QUOTE]

Agree, but that’s not likely to happen given the state of Congress today. They don’t give a tinker’s damn about shipping. Passengers need to vote with their wallets and vacation elsewhere. You should check out the cruisecritic forums. Some of those people have cruised 20 and 30 times with Carnival. Some of them have more sea time than some of us!

Did someone need an engineer for some plumbing on this cruise.

No shit, I have had that job before

The Carnival Elation, I read, is having propulsion issues in NOLA and using a tug to move about.

And yet the dummies will keep booking cruises with them!

They’re talking about Carnival’s track record on Fox right now. I agree with most of what they’re saying but WHERE ARE THE MARINERS FOR COMMENTARY? They have every business “expert” you could ever want on the news talking about the “business” implications of what’s going on with Carnival but this is just as much, if not more, a MARITIME issue as it is a BUSINESS issue. So I ask again WHERE ARE THE MARINERS? I know we always have an always will be forgotten in the public’s eye so this is no different and it’s not as if I am surprised, I am just venting about the continuation of my frustration.