Carnival Ecstasy Elevator Accident with fatality

This has been making the rounds at Facebook and elsewhere. Didn’t check yet to see if it’s on the gcaptain news page but I thought I’d post the video and see what you guys make of this.

It’s a bit gruesome…you’ll see a pax elevator on the Carnival Ecstacy (cruise ship) with blood pouring down the doors. The story is that the electrician was working in the elevator trunk when the car moved. That’s all I was able to glean.

I can’t get the video to embed but here’s a link with video.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/12/articles/maritime-death/bloody-ecstasy-graphic-video-shows-aftermath-of-deadly-elevator-accident/

Screen grab

Lock out. Tag out. Test. That’s a horrible way to go though.

[QUOTE=KPChief;176356]Lock out. Tag out. Test. That’s a horrible way to go though.[/QUOTE]

My words exactly. . . and yeah. . . sheesh. . . years ago there was an elevator that was just maintained at a hospital here in Houston. . . something went wrong and I believe it was a doctor that was beheaded as the elevator moved. . .http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/965442/posts

[QUOTE=KPChief;176356]Lock out. Tag out. Test. That’s a horrible way to go though.[/QUOTE]

I second on that. I usually use 2 E-stops if I’m working on the top portion of the car, standing outside the elevator shaft and put the elevator on manual control when working on top of the elevator car riding in the shaft.

I thought these STCW classes were to “close the gap” between us and the rest of the better trained Mariners of the world? Yet the foreign flagged/crewed vessels keep having all these issues. It seems they keep having the same electrical problem time after time. Each time the ship is DIW and has to be towed somewhere. Now they don’t seem to be able to understand the concept of LOTO. They need to get these people to the MEECE class or something for some remedial training.

[QUOTE=MFOWelectrician;176369]I second on that. I usually use 2 E-stops if I’m working on the top portion of the car, standing outside the elevator shaft and put the elevator on manual control when working on top of the elevator car riding in the shaft.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it’s a bit more complicated than what I said. But if you are on top of the car you better have put it in service mode so only you are driving it. In the pit? E-stops or LOTO but push a call button to be sure. Good job to have a partner on those jobs too. Might stop you from doing something stupid.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;176370]I thought these STCW classes were to “close the gap” between us and the rest of the better trained Mariners of the world? Yet the foreign flagged/crewed vessels keep having all these issues. It seems they keep having the same electrical problem time after time. Each time the ship is DIW and has to be towed somewhere. Now they don’t seem to be able to understand the concept of LOTO. They need to get these people to the MEECE class or something for some remedial training.[/QUOTE]

Something… something… [U]Aiviq[/U]

oh no that was a mystery fuel additive, remember? Ha ha

At least they got it up and running in god awful conditions, I commend them for that much

No it was the naval architects fault for designing bad tank vents for the additive contaminated fuel.

Oh and to many places to sit down onboard.

are you channeling your inner CCaptain?

give it a rest, or go take a seat on your Unlimited OSV license.

Happy New Years, Krampus.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;176378]No it was the naval architects fault for designing bad tank vents for the additive contaminated fuel.

[B]Oh and to many places to sit down onboard.[/B][/QUOTE]

are you channeling your inner CCaptain?

give it a rest, or go take a seat on your Unlimited OSV license.

Happy New Years, Krampus.

I’ve no where left to sit in my house. I got everything piled up in the backyard for huge bonfire later tonight. No one in this house ever sitting again.

The family that came across the scene of blood flowing out of the elevator were offered 3 counselling sessions paid for by Carnival. Coming across a scene like that might give someone PTSD.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;176370]I thought these STCW classes were to “close the gap” between us and the rest of the better trained Mariners of the world? Yet the foreign flagged/crewed vessels keep having all these issues. It seems they keep having the same electrical problem time after time. Each time the ship is DIW and has to be towed somewhere. Now they don’t seem to be able to understand the concept of LOTO. They need to get these people to the MEECE class or something for some remedial training.[/QUOTE]

The deceased’s name was Jose Sandoval Opazo. It doesn’t say what part of the world he was from, he could have been american?

I was wondering if he was crew or possibly a local contractor. Either way the ships electricians should have been assisting him and following al safety procedures.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;176381]I’ve no where left to sit in my house. I got everything piled up in the backyard for huge bonfire later tonight. No one in this house ever sitting again.[/QUOTE]

Burning your floor, too?

I love floor sitting. May the floor rise to meet your arse, and may the wind be at your back.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;176384]I was wondering if he was crew or possibly a local contractor. Either way the ships electricians should have been assisting him and following al safety procedures.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know- the news reports say he was the “ship’s electrician,” and I imagine they carry more than one. Might have been a tech from Otis or Kone, too. Sounds like lockout/tagout procedures bypassed or incomplete. I really don’t like elevators, dumbwaiters, etc. Anything that puts one between a rock and a hard place, so to speak.

In the ERM course I just took, the instructor spoke about a rash of serious accidents with Otis field technicians, and the analysis was that many of the accidents happened when the tech lost focus on the job and did something careless, like hooking his fall harness to a cable run instead of the anchors provided. Head in the game is just as important.

I feel terrible about the poor guy- that had to be an agonizing way to go.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=follow40;176383]The family that came across the scene of blood flowing out of the elevator were offered 3 counselling sessions paid for by Carnival. Coming across a scene like that might give someone PTSD.

• Updated - - -

The deceased’s name was Jose Sandoval Opazo. It doesn’t say what part of the world he was from, he could have been american?[/QUOTE]

If he was crew, probably not. Those ships are all FOC.

Yes I’m gonna knock out the slab and dig a hole to the core. It’s all suspension from the ceiling from here on out. Maybe in five generations my family can evolve to having wings. Maybe our brains will evolve and unlock the potential to levitate.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;176388]Yes I’m gonna knock out the slab and dig a hole to the core. It’s all suspension from the ceiling from here on out. Maybe in five generations my family can evolve to having wings. Maybe our brains will evolve and unlock the potential to levitate.[/QUOTE]

You need to learn how to hang loose.

You’re gonna raise them right up to be Proper Seamen. Their example will redeem your old GOM ways.

I’ve been called out I have to redeem myself now. It’s too late for me but my kids will set the force in balance.