Car Carrier Felicity Ace blaze in the Atlantic:

Yes! I remember our resident expert on this site just saying it was minor damage that will be easily repaired!

1 Like

OK, I should finish a thread before I post! LOL

Just as a point of interest, how many previous car carrier fires sustained enough structural damage to sink?

Earl

Fake news. I read on here that all it needed was some cleanup and fresh paint.

2 Likes

Oh come on, you guys don’t know what the next take is? “No structural damage so obviously it was an inside job”

1 Like

The reports say there was bad weather and a 45 degree list, possibility of a cargo shift.

Do your calendars read February 30th, 2035 too?

1 Like

Thanks, I posted before I learned that and and saw the picture. So, another question: is that degree of damage typical/unusual/unheard-of?

Cheers,

Earl

Don’t really know, I was surprised to hear that it sank after reports that the smoke had stopped and the ship stable.

The Grimaldi vessel Grande America sank a while ago after a fire, it was ro-ro / container.

I’d assume with a fire that hot for that long it could have melted the chain-binders holding down the vehicles. Subsequent weather could definitely have invited a cargo shift.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. The lashing holding down the cars would have nylon.

Do you wish to retract your statement at this point, or are you going to stick with this position?

3 Likes

Additionally, the tires will have burned away, slackening any intact chain lashings and radically changing the coefficient of friction between the vehicles and deck.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought someone might point out that it wasn’t strictly speaking a cargo shift if it’s no longer cargo, just burnt rubble sliding around.

Likely no chains used on a car load.

pcc_lashing

How convenient That it suddenly sank in the middle of the ocean?? :wink:

1 Like

Do your calendars read February 30th, 2035 too?

I was being sarcastic.

Do you wish to retract your statement at this point, or are you going to stick with this position?

My guess is that he will double down with another conspiracy theory.

3 Likes

I gather from all this insurance will go up.

" … caught fire and burned for over a week before recovery teams could board. "

H’mmm, that is very suspicious! Whoever planned this must have known they would have a week to hide the evidence.

Someone needs to find out if anyone involved had anything to do with the mysterious sinking of the Estonia. If only there were someone here who could add up all the missing links …

2 Likes