Captains with MOTV - Progressive Marine Service, LLC - Other, United States

Progressive Marine Service is seeking Captains with United States Coast Guard License: 200T (and higher) N/C with Master of Towing Vessel for our clients. Please send resume to ProgressiveMarine@yahoo.comor

More…

Head hunters should not be featured in the gCaptain’s Job Board.

Not to mention ask applicants to send their Resume with personal information to the yahoo email account???

It is a violation of the law for anyone to charge mariners a fee for finding them a job. I agree that gcaptain should not accept ads from headhunters that charge mariners a fee.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;132993]It is a violation of the law for anyone to charge mariners a fee for finding them a job. I agree that gcaptain should not accept ads from headhunters that charge mariners a fee.[/QUOTE]

Exactly which law is that a violation of? I have heard it IS against the law and I have heard it ISN"T against the law, but I’ve seen no conclusive word on either…
I ask because if it IS truly illegal, then why are there still Maritime Headhunters and why are they so pervasive? I know of several co-workers who have secured their positions using them.
Thanks.

[QUOTE=captjamied;133017]Exactly which law is that a violation of? I have heard it IS against the law and I have heard it ISN"T against the law, but I’ve seen no conclusive word on either…
I ask because if it IS truly illegal, then why are there still Maritime Headhunters and why are they so pervasive? I know of several co-workers who have secured their positions using them.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Use the search function. Its been discussed here many times and the statute has been quoted several times. Enforcement does not seem to be a priority for the US Attorney.

[QUOTE=captjamied;133017]Exactly which law is that a violation of? I have heard it IS against the law and I have heard it ISN"T against the law, but I’ve seen no conclusive word on either…[/QUOTE]

this is Federal Law

[B]46 U.S. Code § 11109 - Attachment of wages[/B].

(a) Wages due or accruing to a master or seaman are not subject to attachment or arrestment from any court, except for an order of a court about the payment by a master or seaman of any part of the master’s or seaman’s wages for the support and maintenance of the spouse or minor children of the master or seaman, or both. A payment of wages to a master or seaman is valid, notwithstanding any prior sale or assignment of wages or any attachment, encumbrance, or arrestment of the wages.

(b) An assignment or sale of wages or salvage made before the payment of wages does not bind the party making it, except allotments authorized by section 10315 of this title.

© This section applies to an individual employed on a fishing vessel or any fish processing vessel.

State laws are more specific and Louisiana has a very clear law on the books which prevents these FILTHY COCKROACHES from operating in that fine state. They instead seem to infest the Mobile, Pascagoula and greater Houston areas but I will admit there seems to be fewer of them these days thanks to chemicals like Raid!

FUCKING VERMIN!

And there’s this…

46 U.S.C.
United States Code, 2011 Edition
Title 46 - SHIPPING
Subtitle II - Vessels and Seamen
Part G - Merchant Seamen Protection and Relief
CHAPTER 105 - COASTWISE VOYAGES
Sec. 10505 - Advances
From the U.S. Government Printing Office, www.gpo.gov

§10505. Advances

(a)(1) A person may not—
(A) pay a seaman wages in advance of the time when the seaman has earned the wages;
(B) pay advance wages of the seaman to another person; or
© make to another person an order, note, or other evidence of indebtedness of the wages, or pay another person, for the engagement of seamen when payment is deducted or to be deducted from the seaman’s wage.

(2) A person violating this subsection is liable to the United States Government for a civil penalty of not more than $5,000. A payment made in violation of this subsection does not relieve the vessel or the master from the duty to pay all wages after they have been earned.
(b) A person demanding or receiving from a seaman or an individual seeking employment as a seaman, remuneration for providing the seaman or individual with employment, is liable to the Government for a civil penalty of not more than $5,000.
© The owner, charterer, managing operator, agent, or master of a vessel seeking clearance from a port of the United States shall present the agreement required by section 10502 of this title at the office of clearance. Clearance may be granted to a vessel only if this section has been complied with.
(d) This section does not apply to a fishing or whaling vessel or a yacht.
(Pub. L. 98–89, Aug. 26, 1983, 97 Stat. 571; Pub. L. 99–640, §10(b)(4), Nov. 10, 1986, 100 Stat. 3550; Pub. L. 103–206, title IV, §414, Dec. 20, 1993, 107 Stat. 2437.)

[QUOTE=injunear;133031]And there’s this…

46 U.S.C.
United States Code, 2011 Edition
Title 46 - SHIPPING
Subtitle II - Vessels and Seamen
Part G - Merchant Seamen Protection and Relief
CHAPTER 105 - COASTWISE VOYAGES
Sec. 10505 - Advances
From the U.S. Government Printing Office, www.gpo.gov

§10505. Advances

(a)(1) A person may not—
(A) pay a seaman wages in advance of the time when the seaman has earned the wages;
(B) pay advance wages of the seaman to another person; or
© make to another person an order, note, or other evidence of indebtedness of the wages, or pay another person, for the engagement of seamen when payment is deducted or to be deducted from the seaman’s wage.

(2) A person violating this subsection is liable to the United States Government for a civil penalty of not more than $5,000. A payment made in violation of this subsection does not relieve the vessel or the master from the duty to pay all wages after they have been earned.
(b) A person demanding or receiving from a seaman or an individual seeking employment as a seaman, remuneration for providing the seaman or individual with employment, is liable to the Government for a civil penalty of not more than $5,000.
© The owner, charterer, managing operator, agent, or master of a vessel seeking clearance from a port of the United States shall present the agreement required by section 10502 of this title at the office of clearance. Clearance may be granted to a vessel only if this section has been complied with.
(d) This section does not apply to a fishing or whaling vessel or a yacht.
(Pub. L. 98–89, Aug. 26, 1983, 97 Stat. 571; Pub. L. 99–640, §10(b)(4), Nov. 10, 1986, 100 Stat. 3550; Pub. L. 103–206, title IV, §414, Dec. 20, 1993, 107 Stat. 2437.)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. That’s the statute I was referring to. Also noteworthy is the the new MLC has a similar provision making it illegal for a headhunter to charge a seaman a fee for finding him a job.