Captains license (6 pack)

Does anyone have info on how to use your time in service, u/w hours towards a Capt license? I have coxswain and U/W OOD quals. Thanks

You will need to submit your AOPS/TMT ALMIS printout of your small boat U/W hours and the position you occupied. Also, request a copy of your Transcript of Sea Service (TOSS), and submit that with all your Coxswain and DWO qual letters. Submit all this when you send your package in to the REC. Look at the Cutterman’s Guide to obtaining a license.

I heard it’s not allowed, ever. At least that’s what people said in a lot of the posts that I searched for on this site. I think JD Cavo said its never allowed and when I used Google to look it up on USCG Homeport they said its completely restricted and disqualifying.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;145340]I heard it’s not allowed, ever. At least that’s what people said in a lot of the posts that I searched for on this site. I think JD Cavo said its never allowed and when I used Google to look it up on USCG Homeport they said its completely restricted and disqualifying.[/QUOTE]

What’s not allowed? Getting a license with military time? Ity’s allowed as long as it was a capacity relevant to what you apply for. The only qualification is that it is discounted by 70%, if you have 100 days of aceptable military time you are credited with 70 days of service for the endorsement.

There’s more info on what you need here: http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/professional_qualifications/default.asp?tab=1#TabbedPanels1

Sorry I was joking. It’s been discussed many times already so my real advice is just look through what people have already said about it and you should be good.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;145356]Sorry I was joking. It’s been discussed many times already so my real advice is just look through what people have already said about it and you should be good.[/QUOTE]

I’m not reluctant to wield a point-ED stick when it’s warranted e.g. someone who knows or should know how to find the answer. But this guy is most likely new here and won’t see that you’re joking.

(note to C Captain, it’s not a pointY stick)

Go to this website, http://www.uscg.mil/ppc/ses/toss.asp

There you will find instructions on how to get your TOSS report. It says that you will have it in around 90 days, but i got mine in 2 weeks. Also go to APOS/TMT and get your hours. On the dates on the top use the date you got in the service, because every hour counts. Depending on the tonnage of the boats you been assign, you will get a 25ton, 50ton or 100ton. Also you most have 90 days of underway time in the last 3 years.

Hope this helps.

[B]OUPV Near Coastal:[/B] This license is valid on vessels up to 100 gross tons and out to 100 nautical miles.
The OUPV Near Coastal Captain’s License also requires at least 360 days of documented experience in the operation of vessels, 90 of which must be gained seaward of the boundary line. Ninety of the 360 days must be in the last three years. Experience gained prior to the age of 15 will not be counted.
[B]
Additional Requirements Include:
[/B]

[ul]
[li]Obtain a (TWIC Card)
[/li][li]Minimum age: 18 years old
[/li][li]Pass a Physical Examination
[/li][li]Take Drug Test a unless enrolled in a USCG - approved random drug testing program for at least 60 of the last 180 day5 days, and with no failure or refusal to participate in a chemical test for dangerous drugs.
[/li][li]CPR/First Aid training
[/li][li]Provide Three Character References
[/li][li]Completion of Captains Marine Online’s USCG approved OUPV / Six-Pack online captain’s course
[/li][li]Completed USCG Original License Application
[/li][/ul]

www.captainsmarineonline.com
www.facebook.com/CaptainsMarineOnline
www.youtube.com/user/captainsmarineonline