Captain checking rooms

Quick question for whoever can answer. Is it legal for a captain to check rooms without someone else present? And where can i find the information on that?

[QUOTE=mainemafia;87439]Quick question for whoever can answer. Is it legal for a captain to check rooms without someone else present? And where can i find the information on that?[/QUOTE]

Check rooms for what to see if you live like a pig and need to clean it up of go rummage through all your belonging’s with out you there.

For a sanitary check absolutely, no notice required or permission. If it is suspected you have contraband then TWO members of the crew should be present.

It is legally the Masters vessel. He (or she) is responsible for EVERYTHING that happens aboard. Typically an office personnel does these checks. But it is probably written in your company manual that this is specifically the Masters responsibility.

When I was with my last company, whenever a crew members room had to be searched the Captain would ask me (CE) to be with him with the Crew Member or Members if the room was shared. The Crew Members stayed just outside the room. Unless the Captain was looking for something stolen or contraband (with cause) he just looked in Lockers and Drawers and did not go digging. If the room was going to be checked for sanitary conditions the CM would do it by himself.

As the Vessel Security Officer I can check anything I want.

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;87499]As the Vessel Security Officer I can check anything I want.[/QUOTE]

No you can’t. The SSO as a single rank is not entitled to check crews quarters. The post above by Tugs is the closest to the system I am bound by except with a Sanitary check I take the ships Doctor with me when we are on project, but if no project the CM goes with Safety officer and of course the Captain.

Captains should be able to inspect rooms for sanitary or security reasons. If they were smart and professional, they would have someone else present with them. I’ve experienced that problem of a wierdo or lack of cuth captain that I found several times in my room. After embarrassing him by accusing him of sniffing my dirty underwear, I didn’t have that problem anymore.

[QUOTE=ForkandBlade;87527]Captains should be able to inspect rooms for sanitary or security reasons. If they were smart and professional, they would have someone else present with them. I’ve experienced that problem of a wierdo or lack of cuth captain that I found several times in my room. After embarrassing him by accusing him of sniffing my dirty underwear, I didn’t have that problem anymore.[/QUOTE]

Any Captain with an ounce of integrity would do accommodation inspections with a second officer present.

The OP hasn’t confirmed if this was a usual room check to confirm a decent living condition OR an intrusive personal effects search. That would make a lot of difference!

I know that my company ops manual specifically states it is my responsibility to ensure accomodations are in a sanitary fashion. ( or some other such wording). But I have only had to do an intrusive search after a tankerman was suspected of using heroin. That was a two officer, with a video of the procedure.

As soon as you step foot on board you belong to the captian. Your rideing on his lic and it all comes down to his responsabilty. It is not “your” room, its the company’s and they let u sleep in it. They pay him to be responable for everything that happens on the vessel, that’s 90% of his job, to take the blame when shit hits the fan, the other 10% is driveing the boat. Keep your room clean and your nose cleaner and u wount have any problems. A honest man has nothing to hide.

There has to be a limit somewhere. If a captain with a fetish for ladies underthings made frequent and through inspections of his females’ quarters would there be no recourse?

[QUOTE=DeckApe;87579]There has to be a limit somewhere. If a captain with a fetish for ladies underthings made frequent and through inspections of his females’ quarters would there be no recourse?[/QUOTE]

He’d better not caught be snuffling around in my undies. He’ll be found bound and gagged with my industrial-strength melon slings, and photographed for Facebook glory.

[QUOTE=DeckApe;87579]There has to be a limit somewhere. If a captain with a fetish for ladies underthings made frequent and through inspections of his females’ quarters would there be no recourse?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like that would be sexual harassment and a call to the DP would solve that. I’ve heard of Capt’s & C/E’s being removed before due to harassment.

:D:D:D …

As a captain, I would need to have a ‘‘reasonnable doubt’’ (complaint / proof) that something is going wrong. Then I would meet with the Chief Engineer. If we both agree that we should inspect a cabin, then watch out !!!

We have had scheduled cabin search prior arrival ports like Iran … but then, we unserstood !!! :smiley:

If you have Captains with that profile, I would think about another company. Or, call the whistle blower number that most companies have.

[QUOTE=Capt Carl;87516]No you can’t. The SSO as a single rank is not entitled to check crews quarters. The post above by Tugs is the closest to the system I am bound by except with a Sanitary check I take the ships Doctor with me when we are on project, but if no project the CM goes with Safety officer and of course the Captain.[/QUOTE]

As the Master and the SSO I can do as I wish as long as it’s done properly.

[QUOTE=AHTS Master;87595]As the Master and the SSO I can do as I wish as long as it’s done properly.[/QUOTE]

Haha, ok so you are both. Of course then you are entitled to do so. But it is prudent to have another officer with you during the search.

[QUOTE=catherder;87582]He’ll be found bound and gagged with my industrial-strength melon slings, and photographed for Facebook glory.[/QUOTE]

OMG! I think that is the funniest thing I have seen on this forum! 'Bout fell out of my chair laughing!

[QUOTE=Capt Carl;87604]Haha, ok so you are both. Of course then you are entitled to do so. But it is prudent to have another officer with you during the search.[/QUOTE]

That’s covered by the word “properly.”

Our captain has the ability to check anything at any time, but a smart individual brings a second person for a witness. I know of a situation that happened, where a search was conducted and during the search items where found that confimed the crew member was a polesmoker. How long do you think that stayed quiet for on a tugboat…??? Needless to say the crew member quit and threatened to sue for sexual harrassment, but it made for an awesome crew change story.