Can Someone shed some light on this question?

Hi everyone, I actually posted this in “Maritime Employment” section but no one answered. Anyway, my question concerns the Military Sealift Command and their living arrangment requirements. I’m currently living in Newport News, Virginia but I had plans on moving to Georgia so I could be closer to my kids. I recently submitted a package for a job opening with MSC and from my understanding, IF hired, I would either be assigned east coast or west coast. So with that being said , does that mean my plans to move to Georgia are shot and I would have to move to whatever area I’d get assigned to? Any and all feedback is welcomed. Thanks.

BroSum :.

[QUOTE=BroSum;92838]Hi everyone, I actually posted this in “Maritime Employment” section but no one answered. Anyway, my question concerns the Military Sealift Command and their living arrangment requirements. I’m currently living in Newport News, Virginia but I had plans on moving to Georgia so I could be closer to my kids. I recently submitted a package for a job opening with MSC and from my understanding, IF hired, I would either be assigned east coast or west coast. So with that being said , does that mean my plans to move to Georgia are shot and I would have to move to whatever area I’d get assigned to? Any and all feedback is welcomed. Thanks.

BroSum :.
[/QUOTE]
You should make plans on not seeing your kids much anymore.

MSC CIVMARs live all over. We have lots of Georgia residents on my ship. Of course being assigned to and East Coast ship will help because driving from Norfolk to Georgia in manageable, take the weekend off and head home Friday after work.

MSC does not “require” you to live anywhere. And by moving out of Newport News you will be able to collect more $$$ when you are assigned to the East Coast Cesspool (cesspool: a covered hole or pit for waste or sewage).

Newport News is to close to Norfolk to be able to collect the S&Q money.

Live in the city you can afford that is best for your wife and children. I’m hoping you have a wife anyway. Forget the S and Q money.

UnRepKing is right on all counts. MSC guys I’ve met live in places like Alabama, Las Vegas, County Claire Ireland, Saipan, etc.

In 1983 I moved my wife to San Diego to be near the MSC unrep tanker I was assigned to. Once I spent $3000 moving out to SD the chief knew he had us homesteaders by the balls. I think moving close is a double edged sword. You will try to get on the ships that stay in the Norfolk area so your lips will become chapped from all the ass kissing you will have to do to get them and stay reassigned to them. One guy from Boston I knew got on that ship I worked on in San Diego. He was 2nd engineer and when out to sea he asked the chief how much OT he would be getting? The chief told him none except unreps. The ship went into San Diego Friday night. The 2nd was walking down the gangway with his weekend bag and the chief asked where he was going. The second said if I’m not working OT out at sea during the week I’m not working the fucking weekends in port. He didn’t care where MSC sent him and it was a good idea.IMO