Cadet Shipping Pay Rate 2023

Picking nits, but if they are from other schools, or in a limited tonnage or limited engineer/DDE program at an academy, they are not “cadets.” They are apprentice mates and apprentice engineers (not to be confused with the towing license “apprentice mate”) See 46 CFR 12.705, 12.709, and 12.711.

This topic has moved off the original question of Cadet Pay. Nonetheless if topics of SASH and MARAD’s Policies are brought into the mix we should at least be aware of what EMBARC is.

To some (or many), this may breach the line of reason. All companies and unions have SASH policies. I am sure they are all in line with existing laws. How they are enforced obviously varies depending on the people involved and commitment from management. Should all new hires, cadet or otherwise, contact the company SASH contact (DPA?) within 48hr and every 14 days thereafter? A bit overboard in my estimation. Don’t get me wrong, I am fully against SASH and have actually reported a non-cadet related incident aboard ship.

I have noted that the cadet experience, irrespective of what school they came, from forces them to mature faster than those attending a typical college. I think this policy, as well intentioned as it is, will potentially make cadets feel more isolated while aboard ship. Maybe chaperones should be assigned along with the cadets, or USMMA abandon the current model and get a “Training” ship.

Post deleted

Unless the SASH portion needs to be discussed further, the question regarding Cadet Pay has been answered.