Brown water merchant marine jobs

Can’t find the job advertisement for inland boat jobs.

I really didn’t enjoy swells and waves on the ocean, looking to work on calmer waters.

Any lead regarding inland waterway jobs will be appreciated.

Marquette Transportation: Steve Royce, HR Manager: ph#:270-945-4830

[QUOTE=Jay;35516]Marquette Transportation: Steve Royce, HR Manager: ph#:270-945-4830[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much, Jay. I just called him & left message.

Hey, anytime. Good luck!

[QUOTE=Jay;35609]Hey, anytime. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Just talked to Steve, He said I got to have TOAR somewhere else.
Where should I contact to get one? Any idea?

ingram barge was hiring but they have travel restrictions.

ACL was hiring wheelmen and other positions.

NOLA.com had a deckhand trainee job posted. All depends what job your looking for before you decide who to apply to.

good luck

Check out the classified employment ad’s on the Internet site of The Waterways Journal

http://www.waterwaysjournal.net/

You don’t mention it, but what position are you looking for?

What license do you currently have? It makes a difference! A license UNDER 200 tons is just about impossible to get a toar signed off, unless you got an ‘apprentice steersman’ license first, and matriculate up that way.

A license OVER 200 tons is the easiest way to get a TOAR effectively signed off.

BUT you need to work under a Licensed D (esignated) E (xaminer) Finding one of those is difficult.

[QUOTE=EbbTide;35666]Check out the classified employment ad’s on the Internet site of The Waterways Journal

http://www.waterwaysjournal.net/[/QUOTE]

Great, Ebbtide, thank you much…

[QUOTE=OICUR12;35638]ingram barge was hiring but they have travel restrictions.

ACL was hiring wheelmen and other positions.

NOLA.com had a deckhand trainee job posted. All depends what job your looking for before you decide who to apply to.

good luck[/QUOTE]

Thank you I will look around…

[QUOTE=cappy208;35703]You don’t mention it, but what position are you looking for?

What license do you currently have? A license OVER 200 tons is the easiest way to get a TOAR effectively signed off.

BUT you need to work under a Licensed D (esignated) E (xaminer) Finding one of those is difficult.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I forgot, I got Unl. Master Ocean…

Grand River Navigation is always looking for people. The personel managers name is Rick Turman @440-930-2024

They are actively looking for a 2nd engineer i know for sure and probably some other licensed E/R positions as well. Couldn’t hurt to call. They are a fleet of 5 self unloading bulk carriers on the great lakes and have been working for them for the last 6 yrs. The boats are a little older but the checks don’t bounce.

[QUOTE=bubba2171;37803]Grand River Navigation is always looking for people. The personel managers name is Rick Turman @440-930-2024

They are actively looking for a 2nd engineer i know for sure and probably some other licensed E/R positions as well. Couldn’t hurt to call. They are a fleet of 5 self unloading bulk carriers on the great lakes and have been working for them for the last 6 yrs. The boats are a little older but the checks don’t bounce.[/QUOTE]

This is great Bubba, Will definetly call him. Thank you so much.

kirby inland marine if you have a masters unl. ocean, im pretty sure theyll hire you as a steersman so you can get ur TOAR signed off. then youll get a mate of towing inland,west rivers, GL’s

[QUOTE=Tugboattim;38352]kirby inland marine if you have a masters unl. ocean, im pretty sure theyll hire you as a steersman so you can get ur TOAR signed off. then youll get a mate of towing inland,west rivers, GL’s[/QUOTE]

Thank you tugboattim, I talked to Stacey Prisk a couple years ago, just before I joined the ship replacing a sick captain. His response that time was somewhat lukewarm. So I went out with the Ocean freighter and encountered two great storms… I hated single moments so much…
I definitely call Kirby again.

what country is this license from? It appears you may be ‘fishing’ for a job you will not be able to land.

[QUOTE=cappy208;38705]what country is this license from? It appears you may be ‘fishing’ for a job you will not be able to land.[/QUOTE]

Is this for me? I got U.S. Unlimited Master Ticket.

That is quite a license to want to be a towboater. I knew one other guy that had Unlimited Master Inland but he was a mate on the Delta Queen at one time. I thought all you unlimited master oceans guys made the big bucks. Why would you lower yourself to river rat?

Oh, well. Different strokes for different folks.

I know more than one wheelman that would razz you for having a license that big to run a towboat.

Once you got the Master of Tow added then you would get the respect from the towboating community. And even then you have to be a third issue pilot to get any respect from anybody that has been around awhile.

[QUOTE=OICUR12;39593]That is quite a license to want to be a towboater. I knew one other guy that had Unlimited Master Inland but he was a mate on the Delta Queen at one time. I thought all you unlimited master oceans guys made the big bucks. Why would you lower yourself to river rat?

Oh, well. Different strokes for different folks.

I know more than one wheelman that would razz you for having a license that big to run a towboat.

Once you got the Master of Tow added then you would get the respect from the towboating community. And even then you have to be a third issue pilot to get any respect from anybody that has been around awhile.[/QUOTE]

Oicur12, I understand what you mean, I always wanted to see the Real America, and real Americans, since I am from Korea.
My whole life is indebted to Americans who lost/risked their lives in order to save us Koreans. I just want to be a part of
this great country… Matter of fact, I am going out to sea again on the Ocean Freighter, tomorrow…
But, I will be back and eventually hop on the River boat…Thank you, so much so far…

Well that’s pretty cool dude.

I could recommend a few companies you could check into.

I guess you see some of the “real america” out here.

You sound like you would do well as a mate on The Delta Queen.

She goes all over.

There was another one running a couple hotel barges all over the bayou called River Barge Excursions but i saw his barges tied up in Lake Charles.

You sound like you would do well to get on a passanger vessel as an officer or AB.

There are some west coast american flag cruise vessels that don’t pay so hot. Crew West is the name of the crewing company.

They are coastal west coast though.

There are some passanger vessels still operating on the Columbia and Snake rivers i think.

Thing about working on a towboat is sometimes you run the same areas over and over. You never stop except for tow work, fuel, ect. You never get any liberty so after awhile it’s kind of like drivn down the road in your car.

Some boats go all over but those are very experience Western River and Inland pilots and those guys that can go anywhere have at least 20-30 years behind the sticks.

They are usually pushing big tows, ride a hell of a nice boat, and are paid well.

You don’t fall into that overnight.

I think i saw the “real america” you are talking about as a deckhand for Ingram Barge.

I had a regular boat that was 30 on / 30 off. An Ohio river boat. Got to see all of the Ohio river on there.

Then i would ride over on my 30 days off and see all kinds of places probably only ever seen by boat.

Water so clean you could drink it. Wilderness, mountains, wildlife, much adventure and new places.

It was much easier to stay mobile as a deckhand than as a wheelman.

Good luck bro