Boycott Starkist Tuna

StarKist Co. is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Dongwon Group.

As most of you know, gCaptain Super Moderator Captain Doug Pine recently served onboard an American flagged, Dongwon owned, tuna boat and witnessed flagrant environmental violations and human rights abuses.

Until the USCG is finished with their investigation and we can feel confident that Dongwon / Starkist is no longer dumping plastic and oil into the ocean, and are no longer condoning the beating of Dongwon / Starkist crew on American flag tuna seiners, I am asking all professional mariners to boycott Starkist Tuna.

Here is the Facebook group and here is a great article that summarizes some of the violations that Doug tried to stop and some of the conditions he had to endure.

“just ask any mermaid”…I’m a “chicken of the sea” kind of guy myself…after witnessing what goes on in a tuna cannery you might want to boycott all of it!!

Roger that seadawg!

That comment is funny posted right below that avatar you use!! LOL

Cool podcast on that FB page.

Michael Keaton, Mr. Mom!

[I][quote=seadawg;21216]…after witnessing what goes on in a tuna cannery you might want to boycott all of it!![/quote][/I]

Or working downwind of one, like Berths 238-240 at Terminal Island, San Pedro.

[QUOTE=dougpine;21276]Michael Keaton, Mr. Mom![/QUOTE]

Well done!

I don’t get Capt. Fran ?

It’s a reference to Capt. Fran’s signature.

personally prefer the other “take”… “38…39…what ever it takes”!!

[QUOTE=danzante;21208]Until the USCG is finished with their investigation and we can feel confident that Dongwon / Starkist is no longer dumping plastic and oil into the ocean, and are no longer condoning the beating of Dongwon / Starkist crew on American flag tuna seiners, I am asking all professional mariners to boycott Starkist Tuna.

[/QUOTE]

Good idea Jill, lets pass this idea on to our fellow shipmates, friends and family. And here is another idea: while you are boycotting Starkist Tuna why not enjoy some tasty Wild Alaskan Salmon instead? The salmon fishery in AK is one of the best managed fisheries in the world. Buying Wild Alaskan Salmon provides living wage jobs for fishermen and fisherwomen in AK and provides a healthy meal to your family with minimum impact on the environment.

I like tuna as much as any guy who goes by the nickname “fish”, but I LOVE AK Salmon!!

-captfish
AKA “Eric” :wink:

According to the world scientist, By 2040, there will be no more fish. we better boycott it all. They did say that Alaska was a model in managing their fish stocks, so Salmon and King crab for everybody.

[QUOTE=captfish;24727]Good idea Jill, lets pass this idea on to our fellow shipmates, friends and family. And here is another idea: while you are boycotting Starkist Tuna why not enjoy some tasty Wild Alaskan Salmon instead? The salmon fishery in AK is one of the best managed fisheries in the world. Buying Wild Alaskan Salmon provides living wage jobs for fishermen and fisherwomen in AK and provides a healthy meal to your family with minimum impact on the environment.

I like tuna as much as any guy who goes by the nickname “fish”, but I LOVE AK Salmon!!

-captfish
AKA “Eric” ;)[/QUOTE]

Just had some last night, as a matter of fact. Delicious.

[QUOTE=skycowboy;24733]According to the world scientist,…[/QUOTE]

Who is he? Or She?

:slight_smile:

An international group of ecologists and economists warned yesterday that the world will run out of seafood by 2048 if steep declines in marine species continue at current rates, based on a four-year study of catch data and the effects of fisheries collapses.

The 14 researchers from Canada, Panama, Sweden, Britain and the United States spent four years analyzing fish populations, catch records and ocean ecosystems to reach their conclusion. They found that by 2003 – the last year for which data on global commercial fish catches are available – 29 percent of all fished species had collapsed, meaning they are now at least 90 percent below their historic maximum catch levels.

“We really see the end of the line now,” said lead author Boris Worm, a marine biologist at Canada’s Dalhousie University. “It’s within our lifetime. Our children will see a world without seafood if we don’t change things.”

Very interesting article, Doug. Thank you!

Ryan