Box boat aground in Suez Canal

Looks like according to latest news on GCaptain, SCA is reducing their original claim by almost half. Still way too much.

An Egypt court on Saturday adjourned a case on the container ship that blocked the Suez Canal to allow for more time to negotiate for a compensation.

The court in Ismailia town postponed the hearing to June 20 after requests from lawyers representing the Suez Canal Authority and the owner of the 400-meter-long Ever Given.

The speed of a container ship that blocked the Suez Canal in March was controlled by the Egyptian waterway’s operator before it ran aground, the vessel’s insurer said on Thursday.

The statement from UK Club came after the head of the Suez Canal Authority said the ship was sailing too fast when it became grounded, but that the canal bore no responsibility.

The speed just before grounding was 15.5 knots which under these circumstances is pretty stupid and irresponsible. That speed was certainly not the captain’s doing but of the obviously incompetent pilot. It puzzles me why the captain didn’t intervene. I suppose that all the bridge conversations leading up to that reckless speed were recorded. Who has access to the VDR’s audio at this moment?

2 Likes

I suppose that us not being that someone is one of the stronger bargaining chips in Evergreen’s hand…

There you go!

I suppose the “welcoming parties” have furled up their carpets and left the reefer containers months ago.

The speed of a container ship that blocked the Suez Canal in March was controlled by the Egyptian waterway’s operator before it ran aground, the vessel’s insurer said on Thursday.

The statement from UK Club came after the head of the Suez Canal Authority said the ship was sailing too fast when it became grounded, but that the canal bore no responsibility.

This is called “contradictio in terminis”!

And the article continues:

It is important to clarify that whilst the master is ultimately responsible for the vessel, navigation in the Canal transit within a convoy is controlled by the Suez Canal pilots and SCA vessel traffic management services.

So the actual situation on the bridge is that SCA controls the speed (15.5 knots, double of what is normal) and the pilot the rudder and if things go wrong the Master is the scapegoat. What a circus! Self inflicted reputation damage and then claiming the other party for it.

2 Likes

Darn, a job that has no repurcussions when you mess up. Sign me up!

1 Like

14 June 2021 the ship Ever Given is still arrested in the Suez Canal. And nobody has since 23 March 2021 explained why the ship suddenly increased its speed >50% from normal 8 to 13 knots during a few minutes, when entering the Canal, and turned starboard to ram the canal side after less than 5 minutes. Everything happens at sea, but this stupid incident in the Suez Canal is the worst I have seen! Ever. I wonder how it will end. Why doesn’t the ship owner simply declare a Constructive Total Loss (after pirates having taken over the ship), so that the Master and wife can return to normal life?

I am quite disappointed 21 June 2021 that nobody cares about the ship Ever Given in the Suez canal after >3 months illegal arrest. I am still curious to know why (1) the ship increased speed from 7 to 13 knots during a few minutes and (2) turned starboard to hit the canal side and block the canal. No normal sailor does it. 100’s of ships pass the Canal every day at slow speed and there are no problems. Why would anyone speed up and block the canal? The owner of Ever Given and the authorities keep quiet? Why? And P&I and H&M insurances are also quiet? Why? And even the cargo owners do not complain !! ! ?? Strange case, to say the least. And media?? They have lost interest.

The owner of the container ship Ever Given, which blocked the Suez Canal for a while in March, has made a new compensation proposal to canal authority SCA.

Exactly how much money has been offered has not been disclosed. The SCA previously asked for more than $916 million in compensation, but later said it would settle for $550 million. The Japanese owner of the Ever Given is said to have already offered 150 million dollars in compensation. But in the SCA’s opinion, that was not enough to cover the costs of missing out on fare, damage to the canal and costs for manpower and equipment to salvage the ship.

its has so much windage and the canal is narrow there so it needed the speed to maintain course in that wind speed BUT not enough water so it went out of control I guess from suction and bank effect.

13 knots is a half bell on these ships. When the vessel is too large for the infrastructure it uses these things happen.

1 Like

I have been to Suez and Port Said 1980-2007 many times and seen the ships in the canal from shore coming and going. Of course the ship speed is 7-9 knots with a fair distance between each ship. If you go too fast you will run into the ship ahead. There is no hurry. If there is a sand storm and the view is blocked you just slow down and your ship drifts against the canal side. I has happened to my ships. When the storm is gone, you just speed up again. Why you need a “pilot” at all is a mystery. Just sail between the buoys and avoid the canal side.
I feel sorry for the Japanese owner making some “deal” with the SCA. Easiest is to declare CTL and let H&M or P&I pay the owner the losses.
The mysteries are (1) SCA arresting the ship, (2) the shipping industry/insurances not complaining, (3) media reporting nonsense, (4) officers and crews shutting up, etc.
If the shipping industry had some guts they should stop using the canal for 30 days asking SCA to explain itself.

No mystery there at all. Shippers don’t want the rules to change and are more than happy to negotiate a payment to the SCA to keep the status quo. Should the carriers balk at a payment the SCA will either increase tariffs, restrict, or ban ULCVs altogether. No matter what the SCA gets their piece, and they should because it’s their country, and it’s their canal, and it’s their rules. The front offices are beyond clear about this even if shipboard personnel are not.

Actually Egypt is a military dictatorship that also controls the SCA. To me it is a mystery why SCA arrested the ship/crew/cargo and asked for ransom money.

a huge block of flats in huge wind has to go x speed in x small channel, I’m sure the pilot and captain agreed.
Word on the street is there might be a wind speed limit for these huge ships entering.

But this is done every day in the Suez Canal without problems since many years. If the wind is strong, you just stop and drift against the canal side. No mooring fees or tugs required.No damages caused. Here we talk about a ship that increased its speed 50% in good weather, turned starboard and ran up on the eastern canal side.

A conspiracy, no doubt. I’m all ears.

A conspiracy is obviously secret so you’ll hear nothing unless you visit a good seamen bar.