Box boat aground in Suez Canal

This story is only a few hours old. Just blame a woman Captain for it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-56615521

This was already published:

Thanks. I wondered before I posted, but it just arrived in my email. It was the first I’d heard of it.
They keep arriving:

Why was Egypts first woman Captain blamed

That’s what I think.

Ever Given remains at anchor in the Bitter Lakes area of the Suez Canal, where inspections have reportedly discovered damage to its bow, which needs to be repaired before it can continue its voyage to North Europe.

“These repairs are not, however, thought to be significant,” a casualty update from marine claims consultancy WK Webster said.

The Suez Canal chief said on Tuesday (Apr 6) that authorities are negotiating a financial settlement with the owners of a massive vessel that blocked the crucial waterway for nearly a week.

Lieutenant General Osama Rabie told the Associated Press he hoped talks with Shoei Kisen Kaisha, the Japanese owner of the skyscraper-sized Ever Given, will conclude without a lawsuit.

“We are discussing with them a peaceful resolution to the matter without resorting to the judiciary,” he said. He maintained that bringing the case before a court would be more harmful to the firm than settling with the canal’s management.

The canal chief said last week the Suez Canal Authority was expecting more than US$1 billion in compensation, warning the ship would not be allowed to leave the canal if the issue of damages turns into a legal dispute.

That amount takes into account the salvage operation, costs of stalled traffic and lost transit fees for the week that the Ever Given blocked the canal. He did not specify then who would be responsible for paying the compensation.

"UK Club’s Mackinnon said ‘“we are confident we are not in that territory at all.”’

Typical posturing insurance lawyer/manager who won’t pay what is truly owed without the defense lawyers churning the file.

In fact the SCA have taken ship, cargo and crew hostage and try during the negotiations to wear down the owners. Time is to their advantage, the owners must be pretty desperate by now and are softened bit by bit until they give in. Remember that they probably also have to repair the ship and no docking facilities are available in that nook of the Med. Once the Egyptians have there claws into you there is no escaping possible. Best thing to do is to try to minimize the losses and avoid the Suez Canal in the future.

Having been an Engineer in a container port which served Evergreen ships, I became interested in this event and soon found the news coverage to be sadly lacking and even with my limited maritime knowledge could tell that a lot of it was inaccurate.

I joined this forum with the hope of finding out a bit more and am now very pleased I did. By reading this thread, not only have I learnt a great deal about what happened and the recovery but so much more including the cultural angle which now looks like it could be the root cause.

Makes you realise how poor the mainstream news media is!

2 Likes

The vessel was impounded by the Egyptian government on 13 April 2021 for refusing to pay a reported $916 million in fees demanded by the government, including $300 million in “loss of reputation”.

They cannot substantiate the $1 billion and now they have made up a ruse with the ridiculous “loss of reputation” argument. What’s next?

Duh. They are suffering a massive loss of reputation by this public display of avarice. The Suez Canal Authority being what it is, this is the inescapable impact of a ball that started rolling when the Ever Given sheared off the bank. Thus, it’s obviously Evergreen’s fault. Or the Master. Or someone. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

True. They are shooting themselves in the foot…

“Next” is they included a “salvage bonus”, whatever that is, of also a round $300 million! They are totally shameless. I estimate their total costs at about $100 million at most. So they have to dream up all kinds of idiotic items to fill the $900 million left. Another $300 million still to go. Could be for widely shoveling out bribes to friends and neighbors for imaginary services provided.

1 Like

After negotiations between the channel operator and the shipping company about the amount of the compensation stalled on Monday, the SCA filed a petition on Tuesday to seize the ship, which has been granted by the court.

Evergreen hopes that the parties will reach a settlement and that the ship will be released again. Ship and cargo, with a combined value of probably more than half a billion dollars, have now been delayed by more than three weeks.

The Taiwanese shipping company says it is studying the scope of the court order, including the possibility to handle ship and cargo “separately”. The shipping company thus seems to be hinting at a scenario in which the containers are unloaded on site in order to be transported. Evergreen says it is committed to “completing the mission entrusted to it by its customers with all due urgency and to minimize any adverse impact.”

And massive temporary loss in cases of Marlboro cigarettes. I remember a customs inspection/ clearance in Coatzacolcas, Mexico. We passed out hats and Marlboros to the “Officials” seated in the galley while their minions rifled our meager pantry. One of the custom guys who looked like the fat sargeant on “Zorro” was not satisfied with his loot. Asked while pointing to his eye “I want to see the store”. We had no store I told him. He kept insisting, I took him to my room where the cigs and ballcaps were held. He grabbed the other case of cigs I had and I stopped him. Told him those were for his friends. His reply “I have no friends”. The older gentleman who was with him got a great chuckle watching me and this greedy bastard tugging on that case of smokes. I won out, but wondered if they would invent a reason to come back. They didn’t, but later boarded a pilot for sailing,ordered tugs, then canceled due to darkness. Paid twice for tugs and pilot. I hated going there.

Maybe this should be a message to underwriters and owners. When the price of corruption is greater than the value of conducting business it is time to take business elsewhere.

How long do you think the Egyptian economy would last when shipping companies give them the finger?

1 Like

The Ben Gurion Canal Project

The Egyptian economy would last not more than a week when shipping companies give them the finger!

https://thearabweekly.com/ship-crisis-revives-russian-israeli-talk-alternatives-suez-canal
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Sisi sought to calm Egyptian fears about the alternatives that the world shippers could be compelled to seek after the Suez Canal blockage and the subsequent disruption that lasted for days.

3 Likes

The Ever Given incident has caused a shortage of garden gnomes in England:

Earl

2 Likes

Would love to see that happen. Two options finally, but course, the third. Go around, not the best.

1 Like

This article by Rose George in the British newspaper The Guardian does an excellent summary of the operation of the Suez Canal. I was unaware that the Cosco Galaxy, a vessel of the same size as the Ever Given, was ahead of her until I read the article.

Terrible, hope they survive without them :laughing:.Give them my hopes and prayers.

1 Like

There is rather a panic here because a large shipment of Easy Toys is still on the seized Ever Given.