Blog of a PMI Workboat Mate Academy alum

Hi all! I’m relatively new to gCaptain but I finished the PMI workboat program last spring and I started blogging about it at http://www.simenstad.blogspot.com when I first started going to sea as a cadet 3 years ago. If anyone is interested in learning about the program, you might be interested in reading my blog or discussing questions here on the site; I’d love to share my story and hear yours! Thanks! ~ ES

I am reading it, I especially like the pictures. Just out of curiousity what drew you to PMI versus one of the other maritime academies.

I am considering GLMA

If your not worried about getting a Bachelors degree and dropping 85K and the type of work you want to do is not unlimited, The work boat academy is a good way to go. Only two years and a lot less $.

[QUOTE=jshrz;92889]I am reading it, I especially like the pictures. Just out of curiousity what drew you to PMI versus one of the other maritime academies.

I am considering GLMA[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reading! I was particularly drawn to PMI because I have a certain affinity for tugboats especially, and so I was not in need of an unlimited license and did not feel it was necessary to go to a full-blown maritime academy, as it would have equipped me with a larger license than I wanted and would take almost twice as long as well as cost a lot more money. I also already went to college (a running joke on the boats, when the guys find out I have a bachelors degree they naturally ask “what on earth are you doing here then?”) and so a degree was not something I was looking for.

The way the Workboat Academy (in connection with PMI, MITAGS, and a new installation of the group now in New Orleans as I understand) is set up, students can work as cadets for various companies, thereby earning something of a living and getting invaluable hands-on experience while intermittently taking needed classes in groups throughout the allotted 2-year period. While traditional academies are a fine and prestigious way to earn a degree and a license, the route I took through PMI was a transformative and challenging process, and I found it to be valuable time spent.

New post! http://simenstad.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-albatross.html

Thanks for reading. Always excited to spread the word about workboat opportunities and listen to sea stories. ~ES

Thanks for the valuable information. I’m due to start PMI’S program in March. Excited is an understatement, and reading your blog definitely gives me a bit of an idea of what to expect. Thank you!!

[QUOTE=jake21b;94391]Thanks for the valuable information. I’m due to start PMI’S program in March. Excited is an understatement, and reading your blog definitely gives me a bit of an idea of what to expect. Thank you!![/QUOTE]

Thanks Jake! Good luck with the program, I’m excited for you!

To all: I’ve been getting messages with questions about the program and I’ve really enjoyed offering some insight. Feel free to send an email if you have any questions about PMI’s workboat academy, and I’ll do my best to help you out. I think the program is on the whole a very worthwhile endeavor.