Bigger and Nicer the boat bigger the egos? Nastier the politics?

Taking a poll.
This should be good.

IMHO…nothing wrong with a Master’s pride in his crew and vessel…my crew more capable…our vessel nicer and bigger than yours!!

before offering further opinion…how about a discussion of the distinctions between ego and pride…as to the relationship between the id>ego>super-ego…vessel politics as generated by intra-vessel relationship or manifested by external pressure exerted by management??

I think there are two factors, pay level and work load. High pay and low work load, everyone wants your job, lots of bs. Low pay and high work load, no one wants your job, little or no bs.

Its probly several factors, I sail as a Chief Steward, and Love my job. But Everyone else seems to hate the galley department, Dunno why.

Imho, I dont think its realy the bigger the boat, but the quality. You ever try and bring a container ship port, Christ it must be a nightmare lol.

[QUOTE=Barbeque;36196]Its probly several factors, I sail as a Chief Steward, and Love my job. But Everyone else seems to hate the galley department, Dunno why.

Imho, I dont think its realy the bigger the boat, but the quality. You ever try and bring a container ship port, Christ it must be a nightmare lol.[/QUOTE]

I guess its tough on the Captain watching the Pilot bring it into the Port and to the Dock?

Its got to be. My very first gig was on an ATB vessel as an entry level Os. Wed pick up Coal in Mobile Alabama and deliver it to a Plant in Florida. Would have people on the Bow and Sides and have to guide them in over the radio, Always scared the crap out of me was like 2-3 feet of clearence. I cant imagine how it would fray the nerves of a Captain. But experience is probly Key. And Mobile is a tricky place >< Still, I am content to leave navigation to the professionals lol.

[QUOTE=Diesel;36211]I guess its tough on the Captain watching the Pilot bring it into the Port and to the Dock?[/QUOTE]
You bet it is. The Captain’s ass is still on the line.

I always preferred the larger vessels. in fact, I took a lesser position in the past to be on the newest and largest anchor boats and may have given up a little money along the way. That was just my person preference. At the end of the day it worked out by becoming the Master on the Dino Chouest, and recently being offered the Master spot on the new icebreaker coming out for Shell in 2012. Both large vessels by anchor boat standards. I don’t think that comes down to ego or politics, just personal preference. I always put equipment and challenge they represent above holding a Master position. The Master position will take care of itself as you gain experience and the best experience is to position yourself on the cutting edge of equipment.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;36194]I think there are two factors, pay level and work load. High pay and low work load, everyone wants your job, lots of bs. Low pay and high work load, no one wants your job, little or no bs.[/QUOTE]

I couldn’t agree more. When I was tripping and making $660 plus a day and had the run of the boat every trip pilot that got on my boat pictured himself in the lead captain’s chair.

The boat I am on now is a trash can and we get treated like second hand citizens by our port captain. He keeps us walking on egg shells and the boat is not at all comfortable.

No one wants a regular job on my boat besides guys like me that don’t give a crap and are used to doing time on trash cans for money. It’s almost like putting yourself in jail for money. Only the money is really good. The “Golden Handcuffs” ya know.

I have found the nicer the boat the more people standing in line to step on your neck to get one more rung up the kiss ass ladder with the guy handing out vessel assingnments.

The bigger the boat most definately the bigger the ego.

The MSC ship I was on had a Master be he only worked 8 hrs per day. All the navigating was split between the Cheif mate and the other two mates.

This guy was like a Naval Line officer captain. He was the next best thing to being in the presence of royalty. Especially when he was paying you two weeks pay in cash or paying you off before discharging you.