Possible position on 130' yacht

I got a call the other day about a position as mate on a 130’ Westport yacht. I haven’t got a whole lot of information about yacht life. I currently work in the Gulf but looking for a job to get out for a while. Can anyone give me some insight on working on yachts? The owner seems like he wants to do some traveling which is my main reason for working on yachts and trying something new. Thanks.

more polishing than boating but fun when i was single. Lots of drama usually…

[QUOTE=shipshape08;36023]I got a call the other day about a position as mate on a 130’ Westport yacht. I haven’t got a whole lot of information about yacht life. I currently work in the Gulf but looking for a job to get out for a while. Can anyone give me some insight on working on yachts? The owner seems like he wants to do some traveling which is my main reason for working on yachts and trying something new. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
What Rigdvr said. In my experience, many private yacht owners view their boats as trophies rather than useful machines. You could end up working for an individual (owner or captain) who can be unreasonably demanding or at the other end of the spectrum, an easygoing “pal” kind of guy. You don’t really know till you’ve spent at least some time on the job. I have worked for yacht owners who never used their boats but demanded that they be spotless (shining like a diamond) 24 hours a day. I would make sure to get a detailed job description before signing on. I’m now on workboats and appreciate the fact that functionality is the key and ‘spit and polish’ secondary.

[QUOTE=Captryan;36142]What Rigdvr said. In my experience, many private yacht owners view their boats as trophies rather than useful machines. You could end up working for an individual (owner or captain) who can be unreasonably demanding or at the other end of the spectrum, an easygoing “pal” kind of guy. You don’t really know till you’ve spent at least some time on the job. I have worked for yacht owners who never used their boats but demanded that they be spotless (shining like a diamond) 24 hours a day. I would make sure to get a detailed job description before signing on. I’m now on workboats and appreciate the fact that functionality is the key and ‘spit and polish’ secondary.[/QUOTE]
If the boat never gets used, it should be spotless shining like a diamond.

I am looking at a yacht delivery job, but dont know what a competitive rate is. Anyone got some advice?

[QUOTE=Flyer69;36240]If the boat never gets used, it should be spotless shining like a diamond.[/QUOTE]
Ok, how about this then. If you have spent a sizable portion of your life dedicated to becoming a competent and professional mariner, spending day after day at the dock polishing a plastic boat and taking the owner’s dogs for a walk while his bored wife and her friends leer at you is not likely to be satisfying.

[QUOTE=Captryan;40343]Ok, how about this then. If you have spent a sizable portion of your life dedicated to becoming a competent and professional mariner, spending day after day at the dock polishing a plastic boat and taking the owner’s dogs for a walk while his bored wife and her friends leer at you is not likely to be satisfying.[/QUOTE]
You missed my point. If you have the option, don’t take a job you will hate.
I have worked on yachts where we sat around, never moved, only thing to do was “shine the shine” until cocktail hour. Not too good for the old liver.
And, I have worked on yachts where the boss used the hell out of the boat, and while we did our best to keep the boat looking great, keeping it mechanically maintained and operating well took precedence over a little tarnish on a piece of brass.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;40385]You missed my point. [/QUOTE]
How can I have missed your point when you just regurgitated what I said with different wording?