Biden in attack on container alliances

No spot rats are not dropping because of any action by the US Government, but because of market forces and realities, not scaremongering.

Maybe too many Shippers signed up to too high long-term contract in panic?

I was pointing out that the government investigating anti-competitive behavior is not necessarily contrary to the principles of free trade or free markets. If that’s the case here or not is another matter. I’ll leave that question to the lawyers, politicians and accountants.

Despite after a two year investigation US Maritime regulator found no sign of collusion, a shipper from Illinois has cried foul, alleging two Asian carriers have operated in ways that contravene the Shipping Act, seeking millions of dollars for the exorbitant shipping costs it has had to fork out during the pandemic.:

Maybe they should turn their anger and claims in a different direction:

Surprise, surprise:

Some here are well versed in how Demurrage and Detention Charges comes about and works, but it appears that some are not.

The general public are fairly ignorant about this matter, as is apparently politicians. Here is a detailed explanation of the practical and legal intricacies abound D&D and other aspects of Container Shipping and trade for those who would like to update their knowledge on the matter:
https://www.shippingandfreightresource.com/demurrage-detention-and-port-charges/

1 Like

As I recall, the container alliances have an antitrust exemption. The theory was that container shipping needed economies of scale to offer the lowest rates. That may have been true at one time. Now the container alliances are a hugely profitable oligopoly that is screwing us. That Antitrust exemption needs to be repealed to let competition bring rates back down.

Yes I agree. I think the US should repeal any anti-trust exemption, break up all companies that shows “excessive profit” for whatever reason. Ban them from doing business in the US.
The US Tech giant can go on screwing anybody overseas they want. Who cares?

While you’re at it; ban all foreign ships from calling at US ports with immediate effect.
That will teach them greedy ungrateful Europeans a thing or two. Don’t they remember the Marshal Plan?

The government’s antitrust policy has changed under Biden, it’s not just shipping. If you Google “Biden” and “antitrust” a lot of stuff comes up.

Randomly clicked on this one

President Biden appointed to key offices the heroes of the “New Brandeis Movement,” created a White House Competition Council, sued major companies and unleashed a chilling effect on all mergers, called for new rulemaking authority, embraced European-style regulations, and supported numerous antitrust bills aimed at revamping antitrust principles.

The big tech companies have been running a lot of ads on TV here.

This is from 2015:

The United States has had an active shipping cartel investigation with prosecutions in the car carrier shipping business. Now, China has fined seven shipping companies, a total of 407 million yuan ($65 million) for price-fixing in what appears to be the same cartel.