Best place to find work for first oiler job?

I just got my mmc back, oiler,reefer,rfpew. All my docs are current. Looking to score a job. Any advice is much appreciated. I haven’t worked in 5 years, so I have alot of catching up to do. Thanks.

And so it begins…yet again…

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;73033]And so it begins…yet again…[/QUOTE]

It does indeed my friend,it does indeed.

sheesh

Part of your job ‘search’ would be to re’search’ using the usual ‘search’ methods and to ‘search’ for a particular segment that you would like to ‘search’ for to get an idea of what question to ask upon further re’search’

Possibly, maybe you can ‘search’ somewhere on this page and discover your direction.

I was under the same delusion. I figured with all the people on here “somebody” would know of a not yet posted job. Seems that all jobs are highly contested and those with the deck time get the first pick. Like most job fields they want “someone else” to train you so you can be productive from day one. The key is finding that “someone else”. I had really hoped something would pan out so that I don’t have to go “door to door” but it’s looking like that is going to be the only way. There’s also no garrentee even that will work.

I’ve also tried the places people say will hire anybody - they are full too, lol.

There is a guarantee…the reason an Indian rain dance works is that they don’t stop dancing till it rains. Such is hunting down a job on the bayou. Despite what most new to the industry seem to think, the world does not begin and end with the likes of Chouest, Hornbeck, or Otto Candies. There are so many maritime companies here that you could go to offices all day every day for weeks and not hit them all. It will not be your dream destination but it will provide a check.

One must realize that these same handful of companies everyone talks about are top dog. Some apply for years before getting on. You ARE more attractive to them the more industry experience you have. They would rather steal the rising cream of the crop than break you in. hit the bayou hard and you will find work, the more you work, the more contacts you will make, the more contacts you make, the more opportunities will appear. Fourchon is like high school and odds are you won’t be sitting at the cool kid table your first day.

Well said Rigdivr.

I am as green as they come when it comes to working in the gulf. I have only worked container ships with SIU until now. I know nothing about the rotation, pay, work hours, or travel. Reading the forums here is very informative, but still leaves me with a lot of questions. This will also be my first job as an oiler.

As for the gulf, pay and schedule vary between companies. The average hitch is 28 days on 14 off. Hrs worked is almost always 12 on 12 off usually split by a noon to midnight crew (days) and midnight to noon (nights).

As an oiler I would recommend being open to “unlicensed engineer” spots on 100ton boats. Far more of them plowing the gulf than big boats. My recommendation is to make a list of companies in order of your preference and hit them in that order. There are a few threads on here somewhere that list tons of companies.

[QUOTE=bedspace_monger;72996]I just got my mmc back, oiler,reefer,rfpew. All my docs are current. Looking to score a job. Any advice is much appreciated. I haven’t worked in 5 years, so I have alot of catching up to do. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

REPLY If you have QMED - Reefer, why aren’t you looking for a job with, and in demand by, companies that carry reefers?

You might want to consider tug and barge operators like Crowley and Northland Services.

I haven’t had much luck on the search for reefer jobs. i will look into the ones you mentioned. thanks.

Also check with the Seattle fishing companies, like American Seafoods, Trident, Icicle, Premier Pacific, etc.

Apply to the Noble gig in another thread and talk to c-mar… It can’t hurt to apply to both