"Best" majors at Cal Maritime?

Would it be better to major in Marine Transportation, Marine Engineering Technology, or Mechanical engineering at CMA?

“Best” is a pretty subjective word which makes your question almost impossible to answer. The last time I checked, MT was the only “impacted” major. Fundamental economics of supply and demand should tell you something about that major. MT and MET are both USCG license majors. Mechanical engineering is not. Jobs after graduation: Currently, one will have an easier time with MET and ME than MT. Do you want to go to sea? Do you want a window view? Are you mechanically inclined? Engineering? Think lots of calculus. MT, think trigonometry. You are going to have to refine and define “best” to make a decision.

It all comes down to want you want to do once you graduate. I was MT but switched to business, best decision I ever made. I was one of re few who got a job at graduation when the economy was at the absolute bottom and I still sailed, although on a cruise ship as a purser. But now I work at one of the major container terminals in So Cal. You got options, do your homework

I am partial to MET because I really like engineering and knew I wanted to go to sea. You have to be really into mechanics if you want to go engineering. A mechanical engineering degree at CMA can also be a USCG major. You can go license track or shoreside with mechanical. You can also do FET which is basically MET but without a CG license

Would Chief_Purser share his experiences to further expand on the career options available after graduating from CMA? We don’t get a lot of information about the professionals who work shoreside at this site. Since it was the “best decision”, I am sure there are plenty of us who would like to hear more about what you do and what makes your job a good one.

Well for me I decided to switch majors because I knew I wanted to get into some sort of management opportunity. So I figured the best way for that would be to get the International Business and Logistics degree at CMA. I still did sail after graduating just as a Purser for NCL’s international fleet, primarily in Europe. After that I was hired as a Boarding Agent for tankers in LA/Long Beach, good way to get a foot in the door for shore side jobs, but I didn’t like the company. So I applied and got hired at APM Terminals(Maersk) in LA. I am a Operations Manager now, I work 4 days a week 12 hour shifts supervising the ILWU longshoremen, coordinating the management of all logistics, in charge of the operation of the shift which means either we will be making money or blowing money, etc. Its fun, challenging, different everyday, plus with Maersk we have the opportunity to go around the world. They provide us with free Rosetta Stone training if we want to go over seas. Good pay(very similar to a 3rd Mate/2nd Mate), we get yealy bonuses and pay increases every year, paid medical, and a good amount of PTO. You just cant let the idea of those whom you manage( the ILWU) make more, much more than you do! Haha.

I am sure there are plenty of us who would like to hear more about what you do and what makes your job a good one.

I am currently in my 2nd year at CMA, and I am a MT major. Coming to this school, with this major, was probably the single best decision I have made in my 28 years on this earth. Graduated hs in '01, with no real set goal for life. Did a few years at the local JC, worked at a lumber yard for 8 years. Finally one day figured out how miserable I was there, and realized I needed a change. I grew up sailing, so I knew a job on the water would work for me. I have no mechanical experience, and didn’t want to be stuck down in the engine room for hours at a time. I’ve been in the engine room during our cruise last summer, not a fun place. When we were near the equator, it seemed like 100+ degrees down there with an even higher humidity, and a noise level to match. If that sounds fun, then go ME/T, if not then deck side seems like a better choice.