Benzene and other hazardous chemicals: which positions have the least exposure?

I’m think about becoming a mariner but I’m a little worried after reading about the hazardous chemical benzene, which causes diseases. On an offshore vessel, how prevalent is this noxious chemical? What positions on the vessel will have the least exposure? Deckhand or engineering positions? I’m thinking it’s engineers that would get more exposed to it. Correct me if I’m wrong. Are there any vessels that don’t have this chemical on board?

Half the stuff you see in the engine room can kill you or make you sick, not just benzene. Your best bet to steer clear of chemicals as an entry level is in the kitchen.

I thought benzene exposure is only an issue in the oil industry.

WTF?! Really? Dude if you’re worried about that, maybe you should rethink the whole mariner thing. Lots of nasty shit out here. Paint thinners a killer. So is toilet bowl cleaner. Those are the ones you’ll have the most exposure to.

Beware of the easy off

Lol. That is some nasty stuff.

[QUOTE=oregonblitzkrieg;116291] What positions on the vessel will have the least exposure?[/QUOTE]

Master. But you will have to inhale a lot of nasty stuff before you can move into that office, if you live that long. The chemicals on ships do awful things to your brain and body … just read some of the stuff posted here by captains if you need solid evidence.

Engineers, on the other hand, know when to keep their mouths shut and hold their breath.

It’ll get ya high as hell!

[QUOTE=Steamer;116664]Master. But you will have to inhale a lot of nasty stuff before you can move into that office, if you live that long. The chemicals on ships do awful things to your brain and body … just read some of the stuff posted here by captains if you need solid evidence.

Engineers, on the other hand, know when to keep their mouths shut and hold their breath.[/QUOTE]

That’s funny right there I don’t care who you are and I’m in the wheelhouse.

I would say on an ATB the deckhand or engineer have the least exposure. The newer barges that are out there are 110% better than what was floating 5-10 years ago. Anything that ends in “ENE” can hurt you, personally im more worried about H2S than benzene. We got block out of a shell terminal a few years ago, 2 dock guys had just gotten killed, the phenol had dripped into the dock shower line… somehow…? And he went to use the shower… poof… so his buddie goes to get him, he drops too. As a deckhand, paint and cleaners are the worst you will see. If you get a chance read the label on an Ameron paint can sometime.

A couple of shots of disc clean will clean your system right out!