Benefits Available For US Merchant Mariners

[QUOTE=Slowsailor45;140499]Mariners house in Boston is a great lodging deal for active or retired mariners.
http://marinershouse.org[/QUOTE]

Mariner’s House in Boston is indeed a great deal, close to the USS Constitution, Faneuil Hall, a hundred or so great Italian restaurants, and several all-womens colleges :D.

Strongly recommended at $65/ night.

Yes and one I these days I hope to have a drink with a savage or two of you staying there.

[QUOTE=roundabout;140376]There was a time in the late 70’s we were able to use the VA services with being a Merchant Mariner our medical and dental costs were covered. If not mistaken, the much ballyhooed Ronald Reagan stopped this? I do remember going to the dentist and doctor in Morgan City on this plan with just a Z card in the late 70’s.[/QUOTE]

Was it VA or US Public Health Service? I remember going to a clinic at Dodge Island Miami in 1977. I thought that was USPHS. Doesn’t much matter, it’s all gone now.

Ok, I got approved for govx (thanks John) but what to buy? Anyone see any must have gear or great deals on the site they can share?

Pelican gear backpack with the hard laptop case.

Edit: I’m working on a gear review and recommendation post for my blog right now actually. I’ll have photos and reviews of some stuff I have bought off of there.

Just a quick update… I did about half my christmas shopping off this site and found some great deals. Sometimes things go on sale for less at Walmart or Amazon but, apart from special sales items, this site rocks. Thanks again John for researching this!!

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;146529]Pelican gear backpack with the hard laptop case.

Edit: I’m working on a gear review and recommendation post for my blog right now actually. I’ll have photos and reviews of some stuff I have bought off of there.[/QUOTE]

What is you blog name ? The Mariners Inn is a great place to stay Boston ! Free breakfast ! Also when they are full try the Constitution Inn in Charlestown . Not as nice but good rates .

www.newenglandwaterman.com

Looks like I should finish those product reviews then haha!

[QUOTE=john;140345]Ok, I did some research, and spoke with a few friends in the military… and many of the private companies that provide discounts to military online use GOVX.com to verify eligibility. I sent a request to their Press department to ask if US Merchant Mariners qualify to join there program. I’m waiting to hear back but, in the meantime, I looked over their FAQ and discovered that they have a liberal acceptance policy (Apparently I qualify for the fact I am a former EMT and Lifeguard)… so I registered as a Merchant Mariner (It’s not on the list… so I selected “Military - Other” - and submitted a copy of page 3 of my License) and was approved (all registrations have to be verified by a human).

Here’s the registration GOVX link: [B][I]http://bit.ly/1ooJYLQ[/I][/B]

I’ll update this thread when I hear back officially from GOVX’s press contact. If all is copesetic then I’ll ask them to add Merchant Marine to the list of approved organizations… if not then I’ll break out the official gCaptain letterhead and submit an appeal to their CEO :wink:

P.S. If this is true… it’s a refreshing change from the norm. I’m still not sure where I stand on whether or not mariners should qualify for discounts but I do believe that at least some of you should (i.e. those who have register for MOS and, certainly, those of you who have been awarded the Merchant Marine Expeditionary Medal).[/QUOTE]

Has anyone tried joining this recently? I was just at their site, but did not see any opportunity to submit a copy of Pg. 3 of my MMC. They only referreced the DMDC.

Water, I signed up for Govx just a few months ago using my MMD with no issues.

I did the same, I took a picture of my orange book and attached it in the “supporting documents” part of the sign up page, took a couple days but they hooked me up. I still haven’t bought anything on there yet…

They signed me up using a MMD about a year ago. I like their selection of gear and the prices seem fairly competitive with other mail order companies.

When I actually get a chance to I’m planning to do this now.

You can sign up as Military / Navy - Reserve. Had to email them to get that info, and just signed up that way. There is a place where you can upload the page of your MMC with your name and address. No need for the whole document.

Just got my approval, and am looking forward to checking out the site.

Just use the link John Posted: http://bit.ly/1ooJYLQ

I did most of my xmas shopping with them this year and got some great deals.

Honolulu Sailors Home in downtown Honolulu, $25 per night for a single room (shared bathroom). Larger rooms with private facilites also available for slightly higher rate: http://honolulusailorshome.com/hshs/index.cfm

[QUOTE=fullbell;175521]Honolulu Sailors Home in downtown Honolulu, $25 per night for a single room (shared bathroom). Larger rooms with private facilities also available for slightly higher rate: http://honolulusailorshome.com/hshs/index.cfm[/QUOTE]

How much for the room with private facilities? I always thought that every room there had a shared everything. I’ve talked with people that stayed there and checked out their website but could never find any info on that. Otherwise I would consider staying there.

Can you bring your wife ?

I don’t know, try contacting the manager at: info@honolulusailorshome.com or (808) 537-5476

ok thats all good stuff.
what about a credit union?
I went to MMP and showed them my docs they said "sure just join the union"
are there any even vaguely salty ones? credit unions with a water view?
surely to god being a merchant marine means just a little more than being able to buy a sweater with a frikin eagle and flag on it…?
no?